Deus Ex

deanb

So Human Revolution hits later this year.
I was gifted (I think via request) the GOTy eidtion with the first 2 in from Ethan over Xmas. So I've slowly worked my way through Deus Ex the past few weeks. Only like 7 hours in at an airport (I checked FLD)

Anyone else got any experience with this game, hopes for the sequel?

So Human Revolution hits later this year.

I was gifted (I think via request) the GOTy eidtion with the first 2 in from Ethan over Xmas. So I've slowly worked my way through Deus Ex the past few weeks. Only like 7 hours in at an airport (I checked FLD)

Anyone else got any experience with this game, hopes for the sequel?

Never played the original, considered gamefly'ing it for the PS2.

The first trailer made me jizzile my shizzle all over this nizzle.

I can't imagine the PS2 version is any good.

I loved Deus Ex. So wonky yet so lovable. I hope their are legitimate and significant narrative decisions we can make. I also hope that all three playstyles are fun.

Why can't you imagine it? It's just worse controls and long loads. Still played the same. Hell I got farther on PS2 than PC

I was a serious fan of the first game - there was nothing like it at the time, and it was a stunning experience. I think PC Gamer gave it number 1 on their recent 'Top 100 PC Games' list, and it's hard to disagree. At the time, it was really something, and I have extremely fond memories of it.

Invisible War I played on the Xbox, and I didn't have as negative reactions as most people, but I tend to go easier on things in most cases. I remember enjoying it, and not being particularly let down, though I kind of hated what they did with the story/protagonist from the previous game.

I haven't heard many details on the experience outside of combat. I'm hoping that your decisions see different results turn out a little more dramatically than they did with the first one. Conspiracy theories should be prominent, since they made the story so much more intriguing in the original.

The abilities that have been shown so far also have me hoping for Ghost in the Shell style combat.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, I make it a point to ask Dean where he is in the game. Then I completely miss the thread he makes, thinking he forgot all about it <_<

That's just like me... :lol:

I'm pretty excited for Human Revolution. The original Deus Ex is probably my favorite game ever and the team making HR seems like they have the right idea. Everything I've read so far makes me wildly enthusiastic about it.

I never could get through Invisible War, though. I started and got a few hours in last summer, but at one point my save kinda glitched and I found myself unable to complete an objective and none of my saves were in a position to avoid the fuck up, so I just stopped.

Kinda feels like I should give it another shot before HR comes out...

Anyway, here's a cool song by Yahtzee

Hahaha, I was coming to post this very video but you beat me to it.

Yet another example of them seemingly doing it right.

I hadn't really noticed the glow until you mentioned it. :P

What immediately stood out for me was when the view leaves the first-person. I'll probably get used to it, but I"m afraid it might break my immersion a bit. I understand that it's practical and the cover system, while not entirely necessary, will probably be very useful. But I don't really see the point of switching view when using ladders. :/

Edited by FLD

deus ex machina

"DAY-əs eks MAH-kee-nə"

It's latin for "god from the machine".

Since Latin is a dead language and there's no known native speakers alive, how it's pronounced is pretty up in the air I'd guess.

also I'm unsure what "Deus Ex" stands for on it's own cos all it's missing in the "machine" bit. So "God from the", or maybe "the god". or "From god" maybe.

I can't 100% remember for Deus Ex, but I'm pretty sure it's like most FPS games of it's time where you just sort of magically glide up and down without the use of hands or feet.

Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't really bother me that much, though. Even Half-Life 2 does that.

Also, I mispronounced the title as "Deuce Ex" for the longest time :lol:

A friend of mine actually still says it like that.

As for the meaning, I've always assumed it was meant to be "From God".

But really, who knows. Warren Spector, maybe? :lol:

edit: actually, now that I think about it, "God from the" kinda makes sense on its own.

(You might not want to read this next part Dean :P)

Especially when you consider the ending of the first game. Or at least the ending where JC merges with Helios. It ends with a quote that goes like "If God does not exist then we should create it". It takes the phrase "Deus Ex Machina" more literally than the original Greek meaning (which refers to a theater plot device).

Edited by FLD

I can't 100% remember for Deus Ex, but I'm pretty sure it's like most FPS games of it's time where you just sort of magically glide up and down without the use of hands or feet.

Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't really bother me that much, though. Even Half-Life 2 does that.

Also, I mispronounced the title as "Deuce Ex" for the longest time :lol:

A friend of mine actually still says it like that.

fuck that. Like Dean said, it's Latin. The pronunciation is subjective. Likewise, I've been pronouncing it "deuce" long before the Deus Ex series came out.

Everyone I've ever heard say that word (except my friend who told me about Deus Ex when we were 12) has said it "day-us", but the dictionary says it can also be "dee-us". Either way "deuce" is incorrect. :P

While it's somewhat subjective due to being latin, there's still an accepted pronunciation just like any other word

Everyone I've ever heard say that word (except my friend who told me about Deus Ex when we were 12) has said it "day-us", but the dictionary says it can also be "dee-us". Either way "deuce" is incorrect. :P

While it's somewhat subjective due to being latin, there's still an accepted pronunciation just like any other word

No! Over the years, I've come to realize that I've been wrong about everything in my life, and I draw the line here! This time, I'm not changing. I'm an American, damnit! I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights includes a right to be willfully ignorant!

Goddamndibly blinding light of information! I'm going back to Plato's metaphorical cave!

• Like 4

Cue an early mission in game:

Denton "There's a voice lock to the stronghold, what do I do?"

Radio guy "Our intel got the passcode for that a while ago, four letter word, just speak into the lock"

Denton "okay, what's the code"

Radio "Sending it to you now"

*beep beep*

-DEUS-

in-game message -use your microphone or headset to speak the passcode-

player "ah bollocks"

No! Over the years, I've come to realize that I've been wrong about everything in my life, and I draw the line here! This time, I'm not changing. I'm an American, damnit! I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights includes a right to be willfully ignorant!

Goddamndibly blinding light of information! I'm going back to Plato's metaphorical cave!

I was so sad when I heard Ryu was "re-you" and not "rye-ooo".