Boardgames

Johnny

Forbidden Island is my current favorite; it's a fun, light, cheap co-op that acts as a great little introduction to "designer" board games. We also play a lot of Monopoly Deal, which is a really fun card game for parties and such.

I have been trying to pick up copies of Ghost Stories, Castle Panic, and Last Night on Earth for a while to get some co-op game nights rocking. Trouble with board games is that they don't really drop in price as video games tend to; in fact, they get more expensive once the initial print is gone. As for competitive games, I will probably check out Small World, which Johnny already posted above.

Edit: If you have trouble getting a game night together, many games come with instructions for solo play. If they don't, then Board Game Geek often (usually?) has solo variants posted.

Oh man I want that Civ game, but I doubt I could ever find anyone to play it with me.

I've had it for the longest of those, but I've still only completed a single match of it. Just takes too much space and time and people to do it properly.

Maybe when I get my own apartment...

Though unlike some...snobs.. I like Monopoly n Game of Life n stuff like that.

Haven't played Game of Life, so I can't comment, but Monopoly is the worst kind of luck of the die-based bullshit. Doesn't matter how solid your strategy is, the dice can still fuck you over on a whim.

Forbidden Island is my current favorite; it's a fun, light, cheap co-op that acts as a great little introduction to "designer" board games. We also play a lot of Monopoly Deal, which is a really fun card game for parties and such.

I have been trying to pick up copies of Ghost Stories, Castle Panic, and Last Night on Earth for a while to get some co-op game nights rocking. Trouble with board games is that they don't really drop in price as video games tend to; in fact, they get more expensive once the initial print is gone. As for competitive games, I will probably check out Small World, which Johnny already posted above.

I regrettably do not yet have a pure co-op game in my collection. Been eyeing up Ghost Stories, Pandemic and Space Alert. Space Alert just seems like such a mad thing that I can't help but want it.

Edit: If you have trouble getting a game night together, many games come with instructions for solo play. If they don't, then Board Game Geek often (usually?) has solo variants posted.

Often true for co-op games, usually not for competitive games.

Only boardgame I own. I never play it cause people are impatient assholes.

Could help if you had a game that is slightly less of a huge slog than Risk. Not that I've any experience with the Metal Gear Solid version.

http://cinemassacre....ory/boardjames/

James Rolfe does a series of web videos about various board games. Both informative and entertaining, just bear in mind that it's James Rolfe so there will naturally be some rough language.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Often true for co-op games, usually not for competitive games.

I've seen some variants for the competitive "civ-building" games especially, since with those you're usually trying to amass Victory Points to hit the win condition, and that can be done solo easily enough. Definitely not as fun without other people screwing you over though.

Though unlike some...snobs.. I like Monopoly n Game of Life n stuff like that.

Haven't played Game of Life, so I can't comment, but Monopoly is the worst kind of luck of the die-based bullshit. Doesn't matter how solid your strategy is, the dice can still fuck you over on a whim.

That's because it's Capitalism: The Game. And I'd say it's pretty realistic.

I like boardgames but looking at your collection, Johnny, I feel like I missed out on some great nerdy ones. Being the only nerd in my family meant boardgames were of the trivial pursuit, monopoly and scrabble variety.

That being said, I bought Risk when I was around 10 but never got to have a full game of it because my siblings and parents weren't into it. I have played many a tabletop game however - love them - but sadly, far too little. Being an Irish nerd is fucking hard!

Amazon seems to be the best in the US as far as low prices go, unless a game is out of print. Your big box stores stock hardly any designer board games. I have only found Ticket to Ride, Catan, and a small assortment of Fantasy Flight games at Target: Deadwood, Rune Age, and Lord of the Rings. Wal-Mart doesn't stock any designer games.

That's one of the rules of introducing people to a new board game: Skip the expansions. There are some exceptions, like Small World where the races and powers expansion stuff do not add significantly game-changing mechanics, or munchkin where the game is so simple that even in its most complicated form it's no issue, but for most games it's true.

• Like 1