Final Fantasy Theatrhythm

excel_excel

So I've been playing a demo of this that appeared on the EU eshop last week, and I've really been enjoying it. The art style is fairly simple but charming and its really addictive. You tap the touch screen along to the shiz happening on the top screen.

The demo has Man With The Machine Gun from Final Fantasy VIII (that's the battle theme when your playing as Laguna) and Final Fantasy XIII's Sunleth Waterscape's background music (which is another arrangement of The Promise the game's main vocal theme). Both great tracks.

So there's Battle sequences where its you tapping to the music while a party fights enemies

8285theatrhythm11jpg-acfd75.jpg

Field sequences where your character is waltzing through some some scenery

8284theatrhythm10jpg-fdfc42.jpg

and Event sequences were its basically movie scenes from various Final Fantasies

8293theatrhythm9jpg-5f3069.jpg

Andd some kind of opening and ending to each Final Fantasy that requires tapping a crystal.

There's also some kind of equip system and some stuff which is cool. DAY ONE NEXT WEEK BABY RELEASE!

The hud reminds me very much of Dissidia - which was a rhythm game in its own right. Is it weird for me to be annoyed that they made the characters look all cutesy? I know it's a Nintendo game but c'mon! they look like they've dropped far too many tabs.

well its still made by Square Enix. The visual style is supposed to be like all the clothes and shit are interchangeable. Not really cutesy but more like cartoonified

I was going to pick this up, but something tells me there's going to be a Vita version. Just a hunch.

No news about it that at all!

I would be far more interested in this game if it featured remixes of classic Final Fantasy songs. I already have the original sound tracks for the FF games I've liked on my iTunes, so as is this game doesn't seem to be offering me a significantly better experience than I can get just playing those songs on audiosurf.

Also, there are classic Final Fantasy games I haven't played, so this would be soundtrack spoilers. Yes, that's a real thing that people should worry about.

I like it. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it's the best Pokemon spinoff there is. There are some very skechy design choices though. it doesn't ruin the game, but it looks plain stupid from a veteran tactics gamer point of view.

It's also hilarious. (MINOR NON-PLOT SPOILERS)

I split my sides laughing when my first trainer evolved. No I'm not joking.

(/SPOILERS)

Speaking of the plot, it's kinda weak, but it holds up if you don't think about it too much. Also, Nobunaga's the bad guy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So since this thread is almost dead wonder if anyone actually bought it? My 3DS has basically become my Theatrhythm machine. Mind you the game is actually limited - oh something to do with limited proliferation of 3DS consoles in the west. I bought it from Amazon got the stylus and stickers and all that. Honestly its the most fun I've had with a rhythm game since Lumines Vita earlier this year.

So since this thread is almost dead wonder if anyone actually bought it? My 3DS has basically become my Theatrhythm machine. Mind you the game is actually limited - oh something to do with limited proliferation of 3DS consoles in the west. I bought it from Amazon got the stylus and stickers and all that. Honestly its the most fun I've had with a rhythm game since Lumines Vita earlier this year.

Finally arrived yesterday! I've been absolutely loving it. Its so fun and instantly gratifying. I love the party and level up mechanics as well which add a little spice to proceedings. I'm also doing pretty well, and I suck at Guitar Hero and other rhythm games. The character design is really charming and all the different stages work well. I think an actual full out battle system using this in a proper spin off would work wonders.

Also the music choices are pretty all round strong. Although I think for the NES and SNES entries, remixes would have been a better choice than the original midi music.

Edited by excel_excel

• 1 month later...

Checking in, I picked it up yesterday for 3 pounds (used a bunch of saved up credit) and it will be arriving today, so can't really argue at that price. Good to see people seemed to enjoy it, I do enjoy rhythm games (Rhythm Heaven was one of my fav DS titles, as well as Elite Beat Agents and Osu Tatake Ouenden)

• 3 weeks later...