Great Game Music of 2012

toxicitizen

The London Philharmonic Orchestra recently released the follow-up to their Greatest Video Game Music album, very originally titled Greatest Video Game Music 2. I've been listening to it a lot this past week and remembered we had a games music thread. So I dug it up and turns out it was strictly about 2011 games, so I decided it's time to make a new one!

I think I liked the selection of the first album more than I did this one, but there are still a few standout pieces on it.

This one was already great to begin with but the orchestral version is much better than I expected. The human voice really adds something the original didn't quite have.

Not the most original choice but still a classic.

This one is just amazing.

And last but not least, motherfucking Chrono Trigger

Those are my personal favorites. A few of the choices are kind of underwhelming, I think. Still Alive was kind of unnecessary. Also, they did the Arkham City main theme and while it's a great theme, it was already orchestrated so... it sounds pretty much the same. That being said, the Diablo III Overture also sounds identical but for some reason I didn't mind that one. Other than that, the tracks they picked from Mass Effect and Halo aren't as good as the ones they had on the first album. Here's the entire playlist if anyone wants to give it a listen:

So, what were your favorite game soundtracks of 2012?

Edited by FLD

I disagree that Max Payne 3 was mediocre. :P But yeah, the soundtrack was perfect for it. The game might not have had the same kind of atmosphere as the previous two but it pulled off the new one quite well and the soundtrack was a big part of that.

Also, nice pick with Dishonored. Made me realize I never really noticed the soundtrack while I was playing the game. I should probably give it a proper listen.

In the meantime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ILqWcd214

Edited by FLD

@Drunken Whaler: It's a damn good one. Though the song I chose isn't actually in the game. Enemies will only whistle it occasionally. Still, I think it sets the mood of the game well. Oh, and the soundtrack is on Bandcamp.

@M.O.O.N: That beat instantly makes me think I'm killing people. I'm a conditioned murderer now.

I'm over here friggin' toiling over what to link you, as I want to limit it to five tracks. Toiling. I suggest you listen to the entire soundtracks, or at least take a trip around Youtube. Well, here we go:

"Shattering of the Dream Egg" from Xenogears

(I also suggest "June Mermaid" and "Lost . . . Broken Shards".)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6V9UiO9X_4

"Radical Dreamers" from Chrono Cross

(I also suggest "Dream of the Shore" and "Time's Scar".)

"Town of Twilight" from Shadow Hearts: Covenant

"Prelude" from Luminous Arc

"Beyond the Sky" from Xenoblade Chronicles"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPQP7aDe_Y

He also has some neat personal albums. I'm partial to Kirite myself.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Drunken Whaler is a fantastic song I wish they would have found a point to put it in the game but trailer song is just as good.

As to 2012 games with music I really enjoyed. Gosh I can't remember all the ones I've played. Let me remember.

As much crap as I gave the ending of ME3, this song was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Manipulative piece of shit like most of Hollywood uses to get you to feel sad at the right moments? Yes, but still good as hell.

This one is a guilty pleasure. Such a horribly bad and cheesy song but god damn I love it

While not made for the game, this song kicks too much ass and reminded me how much I was gonna love the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGzmxa3CH4

Even if not 2012 this song is still one of the most powerful songs I have heard and wasted on such a slightly-above ok title.

Dishonored was already posted and my other guilty pleasure wasn't so much me enjoying the song as much as thinking "fucking seriously? Really? This?" which was for the Dragon's Dogma opening.

While not made for the game, this song kicks too much ass and reminded me how much I was gonna love the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtGzmxa3CH4

Oh man, I love that song. I didn't know it was used in relation to Borderlands 2, though. First time I heard it was in this trailer, and it was perfect.

As much crap as I gave the ending of ME3, this song was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Manipulative piece of shit like most of Hollywood uses to get you to feel sad at the right moments? Yes, but still good as hell.

I love it, except for that final crescendo. It's just too jarring. Partly because it sounds a bit like the ending of A Day In The Life without a final note, but mainly because it reminds me of what actually transpires at that moment. The extended cut wisely chooses to get rid of it, but the overall tracks runs on a bit longer, losing some of the impact.

• 3 weeks later...