Thorgi Duke of Frisbee

20 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Case-by-case
    • I judge from afar in my death penalty-less country

• 2 weeks later...

In order to past BBB we must split out BIF, huh? I'm pretty sure Manchin was an opponent then too. Biden and the Dems leadership got played, again. 

Another fuck up is with the response to Omicron. Biden is not addressing anything until Tuesday. Probably stalling to making it all about individual responsibility. How much more do I and other responsible people have to give? There got to be some collective action like say sending every family/everyone a box of N95 masks and test kits. None of this reimbursement nonsense. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Senate passed a bill to make Daylight Savings Time permanent!

ohbsp2gy2ec01.jpg?auto=webp&s=51f2d7fdd0

Now we just need the House to do the same.

The only part I don't approve of is that it won't take effect until next year. Make it this year you cowards!

• 1 month later...

Having an openly political supreme court has always struck me as a potential issue tbf. Like, I'm not naïve enough to think that UK Supreme Court Justices are apolitical, (they almost certainly, being mostly rich white folk, lean slightly to the right in the majority) but at least UK judges politics are personal and supposed to be set aside, rather than being public and carrying an expectation that they will be followed as appears to be the case in US.

• 2 weeks later...

The Uvalde school shooting aftermath is just getting worse and worse as the fog clears on the timeline and facts.

And no, the shooter locked the door. That's the barricade. The shooter was 18 so probably knows all the procedures...

And of course the powers that be in Texas is going all in on the NRA talking points.

Apparently the guy got through two layers of 'good guy with gun' (school security and local police) before had actually got into the school itself. 

If that doesn't dispel the myth that giving guns to well meaning civilians is a bad idea I don't know what will. The kid knew the training, he knew the procedure and he knew how to evade capture for enough time to commit this fucking awful act. 

Mind blowing that we're still having this conversation. It was over after Sandy Hook.

Regarding people coming over here...

net-international-migration-at-lowest-le

Sure there's a COVID signal but our response to COVID is another nail on why people are hesitant to come over here. This country, as a whole, is fucking insane. 

10 hours ago, danielpholt said:

Apparently the guy got through two layers of 'good guy with gun' (school security and local police) before had actually got into the school itself. 

If that doesn't dispel the myth that giving guns to well meaning civilians is a bad idea I don't know what will. The kid knew the training, he knew the procedure and he knew how to evade capture for enough time to commit this fucking awful act. 

Mind blowing that we're still having this conversation. It was over after Sandy Hook.

The story has been changing by the hour it seems but whatever the initial response was, the following 40 minutes to an hour is inexcusable. 

Also, Parkland had a school resource officer as the first shots happened. He fled.

• Like 1

They are 100% going to blame: (i) The school resource officer, who really signed up to watch kids walk through a metal detector and search the odd bag for a knife; (ii) The general security protocols in the school; and, if pushed hard enough (iii) The cops a little bit for not being more gung-ho.

The right won't go too hard on cops, because that would set a dangerous precedent of suggesting that cops are in any way accountable for negative outcomes of their action/inaction.

I sorta feel like, at this point, just for the hell of it, why would you not try a ban on private gun ownership and a gov't mandated buy-back plan. The only reason not to try it at this point, is that you are terrified that it would work, and then you'd be really fucked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thursday Next said:

I sorta feel like, at this point, just for the hell of it, why would you not try a ban on private gun ownership and a gov't mandated buy-back plan. The only reason not to try it at this point, is that you are terrified that it would work, and then you'd be really fucked.

Well there's the obvious supreme court precedent that it's unconstitutional to ban private ownership.

Even if that weren't the case though, there are so many gun nuts that any Republican that supports any kind of gun control will be immediately ousted by their party. So that's why not to try it for them.

I saw a study that found that if a mass shooting occurs in a Democratic-controlled state then gun laws remain unchanged (they tend to have pretty restrictive laws already), but if it occurs in a Republican-controlled state then gun laws are likely to be relaxed within 6 months.

1 hour ago, TheMightyEthan said:

Well there's the obvious supreme court precedent that it's unconstitutional to ban private ownership.

Even if that weren't the case though, there are so many gun nuts that any Republican that supports any kind of gun control will be immediately ousted by their party. So that's why not to try it for them.

I saw a study that found that if a mass shooting occurs in a Democratic-controlled state then gun laws remain unchanged (they tend to have pretty restrictive laws already), but if it occurs in a Republican-controlled state then gun laws are likely to be relaxed within 6 months.

I don't mean a particular State or Federal gov't. I mean the USA as a whole, just agree to give it a punt, tear up the 2nd, ban private ownership, buy back the guns in an amnesty so hard working Americans are not out of pocket.

Like at this point, it can't really get much worse, so the only people with something to lose by trying it are people who are invested in continuing to promote private gun ownership (whether financially or politically).

On 6/1/2022 at 5:41 AM, Thursday Next said:

They are 100% going to blame: (i) The school resource officer, who really signed up to watch kids walk through a metal detector and search the odd bag for a knife; (ii) The general security protocols in the school; and, if pushed hard enough (iii) The cops a little bit for not being more gung-ho.

The right won't go too hard on cops, because that would set a dangerous precedent of suggesting that cops are in any way accountable for negative outcomes of their action/inaction.

If you get into the weeds of it all, none of them are under a legal duty to protect anything. LegalEagle just posted this today too, which summarize it all.

You can blame the SRO or the police but they literally didn't have the duty to do anything. If they wanted to, they could still be at their offices or just go about their day while Uvalde or any shooting went down.

It should be noted that these rulings comes from a conservative/libertarian school of thought/worldview. Under other schools of though/worldview, things can be different but these are the precedents we kind of have to work with. 

Edited by Mal