US Politics

Thorgi Duke of Frisbee

20 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty

• Yay
    • Nay
    • Case-by-case
    • I judge from afar in my death penalty-less country

Whatever happened to just "Happy Holidays"?

Happy Holidays is something that people say when they are afraid of offending someone. No one ever opens their door to a friend for a holiday gathering and says "Happy Holidays" because they are so afraid that some asshole might get offended by their celebration of Christmas.

I always thought Ben Stein had the best way of putting it:

Too Long to Post

Shouldn't that be whatever happened to just "happy Christmas"?

Happy holidays is the non-religious, non-offensive, politically correct phrase that everyone in this country makes fun of Americans about.

edit. looks like battra beat me to it - I'm too addicted to come dine with me!

Edited by TheFlyingGerbil

Where the fuck did "merry" go? Or is this an English Vs English thing? It's not "ho ho ho, happy holidays". It's "Ho ho ho, merrrry christmas". Anyway as has been stated many many times over the decades christmas is no more a chrisitan celebration as greenland is green.

@Misterjack: I know one person.

Going back to the war on religion in this country, my wife informs me that we are no longer celebrating Christmas, we're celebrating the winter solstice. We now have a solstice tree and solstice lights and are giving each other solstice presents.

I'm okay with this, except unlike Christmas I have to work on the solstice. :(

On the one hand it's a rediculous and supurfluous gesture to attract attention and eye rolls; on the other if you are both non-Christians then at least it's being somewhat honest with yourself.

Still, I don't know how an atheist can ever celebrate a true holiday. They do stand for Holy Day after all.

Still, I don't know how an atheist can ever celebrate a true holiday. They do stand for Holy Day after all.

I'm pretty sure winter festivals are untouched by the "holy day" stuff. It's winter solstice regardless of whether folks associate it with the birth of jesus or not. While I'm all pro having Christmas slapped on stuff I do find it a bit silly that Christians of all people are against the subverting of particular winter based holidays given Christmases origins.

Anywho back to Rick Perry for a moment:

CtUrR.jpg

• Like 3

On the one hand it's a rediculous and supurfluous gesture to attract attention and eye rolls; on the other if you are both non-Christians then at least it's being somewhat honest with yourself.

I agree it's silly, I was perfectly content to celebrate a secular Christmas in which we remember the birth of Santa, but whatever, it doesn't actually matter to me. But with her I don't think it's for attention because I don't think she plans to broadcast it, I think it's more just for the sake of intellectual honesty.

Tangentially: I thought "happy Christmas" was the British saying, and "merry Christmas" was the American one. Was I wrong?

I watched that Rick Perry video a few minutes ago. Jesus Christ I underestimated just how offensive it was.

My dad didn't believe me when I first told him about it. I sent him the video and he still didn't want to believe it. It must be political campaign mass suicide month. First Cain, now Perry, and I'm guessing Bachmann before the month is through.

Regarding the greeting thing, though, in my experience the same people who get pissed off when someone tells them "Merry Christmas" as opposed to the religion-neutral "Happy Holidays" are the same people who get bent out of shape when someone says "god bless you" if they sneeze. Seems a ridiculous thing to get mad about.

Edited by Sporkwaffles

@ TME: yes you are wrong and you are now on Santa's naughty list.

"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" is a popular secular sixteenth-century English carol " so we've been saying it since before you lot existed.

Edited by TheFlyingGerbil

Regarding the greeting thing, though, in my experience the same people who get pissed off when someone tells them "Merry Christmas" as opposed to the religion-neutral "Happy Holidays" are the same people who get bent out of shape when someone says "god bless you" if they sneeze. Seems a ridiculous thing to get mad about.

Have you ever known anyone to get pissed off when someone says "Merry Christmas"? The only anger I've ever seen wrt the greeting is when Christians flip the fuck out because someone says "Happy Holidays".

I watched that Rick Perry video a few minutes ago. Jesus Christ I underestimated just how offensive it was.

My dad didn't believe me when I first told him about it. I sent him the video and he still didn't want to believe it. It must be political campaign mass suicide month. First Cain, now Perry, and I'm guessing Bachmann before the month is through.

I actually couldn't believe what I was watching. It was almost a parody of how a stereotypical republican candidate acts but like just put to the extreme. Man, I just.....the two things he talks about are completely unrelated. Its like someone saying,

'I think its wrong how fur is sold but people are free to use deodorant that causes the global warming' or some dumb shit

Edited by excel_excel
  • Like 1

Not to mention that the prayer in schools thing isn't even true.

You can pray in public school as much as you want. You can pray all goddamned day if you want to (though you might get in trouble for not paying attention...) That's the free exercise clause.

The only thing that is not allowed is that the (public) school cannot sponsor prayer. That's the establishment clause.

FFS!

• Like 2

Have you ever known anyone to get pissed off when someone says "Merry Christmas"? The only anger I've ever seen wrt the greeting is when Christians flip the fuck out because someone says "Happy Holidays".

Only one guy, but he had his browser homepage set to r/atheism so it was that kind of deal.

• Like 1

r/atheism are a bunch of cockbags and generally worse than most religious folks you'll meet on the net. I was somewhat bummed when reddit went down yesterday n it ended up popping on front page for me :( . (there are some funny parts mind, but not worth being subbed. At the3 very least that rick perry thing has to lead a change from the usual facebook posts it used to consist of)
  • Like 1

You know you've got a problem when a random poster on some gaming forum is potentially a better presidential candidate than the actual people running for president.

I was going to say "who" but then I realized I would vote for just about any of you over Rick Perry =P

• Like 3