Homosexuality and Games

Hot Heart

It's part of a long game:

All the gay players gather on Makeb.

Death Star expansion is released. It can be used to eliminate a planet for an exorbitant fee.

All Republican (GOP) players club together to rent the Death Star.

Death Star is used to destroy Makeb.

Gay players are able to continue their relationships on any planet they choose.

That's obviously not true. Don't even think about quoting it as an "Official EA source says".

EDIT: In other news Dean is not funny. :P

Edited by Thursday Next
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just remembered this thread where discussion would fit better: http://forum.pressxordie.com/topic/1799-gaming-and-catering-to-smaller-consumer-groups/

Anyway, I think 'quality' is not so much part of the equation in this regard. I mean, we all want better writing, the point is to ignore whether something feels 'forced' or not.

Borderlands 2 is just...dumb, but I'm all for more diverse, well-rounded characters, in general. Like I said before with the gay characters in Mass Effect 3, it doesn't impact on their ability to perform their duties; it's just who they are. Also, I can't remember if this was shared before, but I've always liked this perspective as well.

• Like 2

If a writer arbitrarily makes a particular character a transgender, homosexual woman rather than a cisgender, heterosexual man, and if that character has a positive effect on an audience’s perception of transgender women — no matter how small the effect — then that writer has made the world a slightly better place.

"If"

• Like 1

Isn't it best to write minorities the same way you'd write a, God I'm going to say it, cisgendered heterosexual male? If you're writing them specifically as a trans actress or gay cabby, you're just reinforcing the idea of "the other".

As far as forcing it goes, I guess it is forced if you're just shoving them in there for no other reason to have minorities present for the sake of representation. Which is only slightly less silly than not including them because they're minorities as far as I'm concerned. But that still doesn't mean you have to write them as a stereotypical gay gal. I don't see why it needs to be pointed out that a gay person is gay to begin with if they aren't in a situation or conversation that calls for it. Do people run around shouting their sexual orientation nowadays? I don't get out too often.

"Do people run around shouting their sexual orientation nowadays? I don't get out too often." Pretty much, yes. Every time a person talks about a girlfriend/boyfriend (or, in your case, ST, dakimakurafriends), what they think is attractive, and so on, that person reveals his or her sexuality. 

Someone has to give the dakimakura some lovin'. I'm doing them a service.

I'll concede the gf/bf point, and even attractiveness in others to some extent. I just don't get those as recurring or regular conversation topics. Excepting those obnoxious folk who go on about their S.O. relentlessly. Casual mention of a S.O. (or even an entire conversation) is one thing, but centering the narrative camera on that one aspect of a person is another. Like, I understand if that's a core character motivator or it's integral to their story. But generally it shouldn't make the character. "He's gay. That's the character."

There's a difference between revealing and shouting.

But maybe the case is that I don't get out often enough. In which case I'm glad I'm missing all these people going on and on about their significant others and ass-titties-dick-eyes-smile talk.

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

Generally, you learn about whether someone is married or dating within a few times of meeting him or her. Maybe not your barista, but any work colleague or social acquaintance. And when you're telling a story about a character, generally details that reveal sexual orientation are revealed early on. 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...