The Legend of Zelda Thread

TCP

Hope you like it. seems like most people that hated on it when it came out are coming around to it. It's a great game and midna is by far the best companion. Really tempted to buy it even though I already beat it originally and probably won't play it, cos I want to see what the amiibo unlocks in zelda Wii u and by the time we found out the amiibo will be long gone

• Like 1

Were there a lot of people who hated it when it came out?  I thought everyone loved it because it was what they thought Wind Waker should have been (Wind Waker rocks).

I'm excited because we can finally get the best of both control schemes!  The waggle for sword fighting on the Wii was dumb, and way inferior to the button-based combat on GCN, but the pointer made aiming projectiles so much easier.  Now on Wii U you can use the tablet as a normal controller but still use the pointing feature for aiming.  Yay!

If I really love the game (which I'm almost certain I will, I've played many a Zelda inspired game like Darksiders and Dark Cloud) I'll probably jump to Wind Waker. The only reason I'm going to play Twilight Princess first is because I've read its more of a "traditional" Zelda game and Wind Waker shakes up the formula a bit.

Yes, it's definitely true that TP is more of a traditional Zelda than WW.  Also, if you like those you should totally give Skyward Sword a try, it doesn't get the love it deserves.  Though I definitely recommend playing SS with a real Motion Plus Wiimote, and not a regular Wiimote with the Motion Plus add-on thing, I've played the game all the way through both ways and found the regular Wiimote+addon to be horribly frustrating and inaccurate, but the true Motion Plus one worked great.

• Like 1

The complaints I remember were its too much like OoT, nothing to do in hyrule field and too easy... Probably other stuff too. Mind you zelda seems to suffer terribly from people hating the newest release and gradually building up love for it as newer games come out to hate on.

• Like 3

Twilight Princess is a solid game, but to me it's not as memorable as other Zelda titles like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. There's not much that I remember other than segments of a few temples. The spinning top was cool for its boss battle, but didn't have any use outside really. I also remember the Hyrule Castle segment at the end was really lackluster, so that disappointed me.

The motion controls at the time didn't bother me, but once I learned that the Wii version was mirrored, it made me feel like I was playing a poor port for my first Wii title rather than a properly developed title. Granted, it was developed well, just the need for Link to be right-handed for the motion controls and the best method was to flip the world bugged me.

I imagine if I do pick up it's HD version I would be satisfied, just it's not in my Top 5 so I haven't been anticipating it.

• 4 weeks later...

So I do have Twilight Princess HD now and have gone through the first four hours.

My opinion hasn't changed that it's a solid game, but it's just not as memorable. There's great moments, but so far it surprises me how empty the environment feels. People complained that Skyward Sword recycled environments, but at least those environments were visually appealing and had life to them. To be fair, I'm still in "beginning" segment where Link is still going on a linear path of Point A to Point B.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch there be a twist that Link is part of a Hylian race of intergalactic conquerors, but he was part of a sect (the Sheikah) that protected this land renamed Hyrule. He has been awoken to counter the revival of all the ancient, but advanced, technology.

Mark my words, but also I am very titillated that the Sheikah aspect is important in this game.

Honestly the footage did not really impress me.  Yeah, it's a big open world, but there's so much empty space that I feel like it will quickly get dull.

It didn't seem too empty to me, but that aside I'm guessing at least part of it is that they're trying to keep all hints at the story hidden.

Apparently you can only link so many videos in one post.  So QUADRUPLE POST!

The "NES Connection":

Beyond the Plateau:

Hunting and Gathering:

I haven't watched all of them yet.

The "NES Connection":

Beyond the Plateau:

Apparently Link is now officially right-handed.

0/10

Good, left handed freaks DISGUST ME!!

This post is mainly to stop the barrage of Ethan posts.

I have to be honest, this looks great. Kudos to Nintendo. It always felt weird that Zelda was so insular, when it's inspired so many other games... it's going to be good for the franchise to take some inspiration from other non-Nintendo games, I think.

Edited by The Cowboy Poet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite a major addition for an amiibo to give you  a sidekick. I like the idea of a wolf companion (will they try and explain why you have two links in the game?) but I wonder if it would make the game too easy - he dispatched the  goblin thing without link needing to get involved And removes he challenge of hunting.  I also wonder how controllable he is? I saw a come command but can you, for example stop him attacking if you are trying for a stealth attack or environmental attacks with e boulders etc he would spoil those if he barrelled in.

When you summon the wolf he will hang around until he dies (he has however many hearts you finished the special TPHD dungeon with, unless you haven't done it in which case he has 3), and then you can't summon him again until the next IRL day.  I don't know what happens if you summon him and then while he's still alive you save and quit.

The only command they've revealed so far is a come command.  They haven't said that there are others, but they also haven't said there aren't.

Seems to me the best way to prevent him spoiling your sneak attacks would be to give you an attack command and for him to not run in until the enemies have aggroed on you or you issue the command.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's all rather lovely until link shows up but it got me thinking, if Nintendo did decide to do something with the franchise, would you rather a film or a TV series, and would you rather live action or animation?

Hensen Production Co. puppets, and specifically with an intent to recreate the aesthetic and tone of Twilight Princess.  I'm not even kidding.  I think that's a match made in heaven, and I think that the dialogue light storytelling of Legend of Zelda fits a Hensen Productions joint pretty well.

I also think that the limitations of puppets would keep the action element grounded, which is how Legend of Zelda ought to be.  Do you remember that anime movie they made for the Smash Bros marketing with Pit and Link fighting?  That was garbage.  That was link as an anime superhero who's every action causes the world to tremble.  That's not Legend of Zelda.