The Legend of Zelda Thread

TCP

But that doesn't make any sense, since we've had games after Wind Waker (Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Tracks), and the new Hyrule they found is definitely not the same old Hyrule that was flooded so there wouldn't be old school Hyrule stuff like the bridges. In fact there wouldn't be a Deku Tree or Kokiri either, since you have to assume they stayed in their grotto in Hyrule.

Look at it this way, since Ocarina of Time (not including Majora's Mask) we've had three major 3D console Zeldas, a game that takes place after the "child" timeline, Twilight Princess, a game after the "adult" timeline, Wind Waker, and a prequel to Ocarina, Skyward Sword. It'd make sense to do a new Zelda that takes place in the one timeline we haven't been to in a 3D Zelda game. That would also provide context to the one timeline that made everyone say "huh". That would explain why there's elements from both the other timelines in this timeline (plus elements from the 2D games we know are in this timeline). 

I'm not 100% sure if it's the Link I had mentioned, but I think it's pretty clear it's in the "Hero has failed" timeline. If you don't believe me, I propose A BET. Loser has to change his username to a name picked by the winner for a whole month. WHAT DO YOU SAY?!?!

Not betting because I haven't watched the videos so I don't actually know how convincing the arguments in support of that position are, and I don't want to dedicate the time to educating myself. I was just saying what conclusions I had drawn based solely on the trailer and my background Zelda knowledge, and then clarifying one point that you seemed to have misunderstood. I could very very easily be wrong.

Nonsensical? See, that's where you're wrong GOH. Sure, some Zelda games, the really old ones and the handheld games, are hard to pinpoint where they exist and it doesn't really matter where they go. But there's a definite link (THAT's A PUN!) between Skyward Sword, to Ocarina (and Majora), splintering off to Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rito and Beedle don't mean anything. There's also Zoras which there aren't in Wind Waker, so that as much dis-proves it being Wind Waker timeline as the Rito's prove. And Beedle was in Skyward Sword so it'd make sense for him to also be in The Hero Has Fallen timeline. 

I can't wait till you lose the bet and I get to change your username for a month.

Edited by Mr. TCP!

Here's what's in the pack as it flashes up quite quickly.

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game's Great Plateau area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver useful items.

• The first content pack is scheduled to launch this summer and will include the addition of a Cave of Trials challenge, a new hard mode, and a new feature for the in-game map.
  • The second content pack will launch in Holiday 2017, and adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and a new original story.

Since it's a single expansion pass, I hope it will represent similar value to the Mario Kart 8 DLC which I thought was good. I won't be pre-purchasing it though - I'd rather wait to see how substantial the extra story is which is the main thing I'd be interested in. Would be interesting to see what the new map feature is - if they mean a literal map feature like a treasure chest compass, then it's gong to be fairly useless by the time it's released as most people will be done with their exploring by then

• Like 1

Interesting. So if I play BotW on Wii U, when this new dungeon + story comes out in the fall, I'll still have to play that if I own a Switch at that point. 

It kind of sucks that hard mode and the cave of trials, which have just come with past games are being cut off for DLC. But a new dungeon is cool, I'll probably be in. 

• Like 1

Probably just best to wait and buy the inevitable GOTY edition in 2018. I mean, sure, it won't be on the super dead Wii U at that point, but you maniacs are all buying Switches eventually, anyway.

This is Nintendo you're talking about.  The GOTY edition will cost 80 dollars and will continue to cost 80 dollars until the Switch is dead.

• Like 4

I'll be curious to see exactly how substantive the DLC is.  Nintendo has, so far, actually been pretty great about DLC value per dollar.  Obviously different people have their own individual value scaling for different types of additions, but at the very least when compared to genre contemporaries Nintendo DLC offers more bang for your buck.

On it's surface this Zelda stuff does not blow me away.  But Nintendo is spacing this so that there's plenty of extra development time.  So maybe we'll be okay?  "Additional story content" could be anything from "Here's a 3 hour side quest chain with Farore" to "Here's a whole new game mode where you play as Zelda and the movies are different".

• Like 3

"Here's a whole new game mode where you play as Zelda and the movies are different".

omg, don't build our hopes up like that. I was figuring it's just going to be a couple of fetch quests to open up a shrine. Now I'm imagining all sorts of nonsense.

The embargo on previews breaks today, and so I was hoping Digital Foundry would have a performance comparison between the Switch and Wii U versions, but nothing so far.  Weirdly, Eurogamer doesn't have a preview up at all, even though all the other previews went live an hour ago.

The previews are super promising though.