The Legend of Zelda Thread

TCP

I've not played that video as even the static is spoilery, but it's SO tempting. I even stopped watching an unboxing video when they switched the console on as I want to enjoy that for myself

Anyway the reason I came in here is to allay some people's fears that you'd be wandering around barren grassland with the occasional spot of action if you manage to find it, but EDGE, which has the first full review* (rather than preview) of the game says the game is very dense and the world "an absolute, and unremitting pleasure to get lost in". Cannot wait!

*They gave it a 10, btw. Another site I read that is very honest/critical says it may be the best game ever, and while that may be hyperbole, coming from them, it makes me super positive.

Edited by TheFlyingGerbil

The first hour of the game on Wii U, so spoilers obviously, though it's in French so that helps a little.  I'm watching it to see how the performance is, and I'm only 11 minutes in but so far it is not promising.  That said, the comments on the reddit thread where I found this video do say that it's bad at the beginning but then gets a lot better, so I'm still hopeful.  If the whole thing is like this though I think I'm cancelling my preorder...

Well for the most part the rest of it was fine, but when he went into the forest it dropped frames really bad.  He didn't stick around though so I couldn't tell if it was the whole forest that would be like that or just the specific spot he was in.

Now I don't know what to do...

This one's quite a bit longer and has a lot more of him running around in the forest, enough to show that it really is just specific places from specific angles that drop frames, and not even the whole forest.  My concerns are sufficiently alleviated.

Bonus, this one's in what appears to be either Dutch or German, which I can't even remotely read (unlike French which I know a little of) so it's even less spoilery!

I know it's not unique, and I'm even okay with it being a little worse than the Switch, as long as it's not bad enough to harm my enjoyment of the game.  After watching that first video I was unsure, but after looking at the second I feel a lot better about it.

Well, I'm getting my copy of Breath of the Wild at Best Buy.

Amazon a few days ago issued me an email saying the item did not have a release date. In the past this has happened where Amazon needs to adjust a few things on the product's page and things are back to normal. This evening it still didn't have a release date and that concerned me. I called the customer support phone line and after the initial, "Yes, I know it's not released yet" I got a half answer of I would be receiving it April 12. I'm respectful on the phone because I had that type of job for a little while (and it was Hell mentally for me), but I stressed the point that I was still allowed to pre-order and given a guaranteed delivery date. Not an estimated delivery date like Free Shipping. Big Ol' Two-Day Prime Shipping.

My only concern is if Best Buy will in fact have enough copies locally. If anyone is at fault, it's probably Nintendo because this is starting to smell like the limited quantity garbage as of late. Seems those who ordered the Switch version are fine. Then again I don't expect many people jumped on the Switch wagon yet so I can't imagine that version selling out.

I think GOH's right about the intentionally limited stock on Wii U. People on Reddit have been having the same problem as Atom.

Luckily I haven't had that problem with my preorder, which has said "Arriving Friday" the whole time and just today changed from "Not yet shipped" to "Preparing to ship."

Amazon in Canada, who is usually far superior when it comes to Nintendo, still doesn't have a delivery date for my copy of BOTW. My plan is to go to a store, let's call it Shbest Shbuy and buy a copy there, then when I get my Amazon copy, return it to Shbest Shbuy (Amazon copy will be cheaper than Shbest Shbuy). If I can't find a physical copy, I'll just download it digitally. The fact that you can download it digitally makes me hopeful that they won't try to Twilight Princess this and under supply it. We'll see.

Edited by Mr. TCP!

I've bought a few games digitally, including recently Twilight Princess (cheaper digitally without the amiibo) and it's worked out fine. 

Here's a secret: when I do get a Switch, I'm probably going to be 100% digital. Danger is my middle name. I'm Cowboy DANGER Poet.

So yeah, you can buy Breath of the Wild digitally, but there's no discount. Also, as has been implied, I don't typically do digital on the Wii U. Last time I did it was for Pikmin 3 and that was a free offer.

I've pre-ordered the game through Best Buy and reserved it at my local store. I was TWO points away from a $5 off certificate. Best Buy no longer does those simple customer surveys for a handful of points. You can write a review for 25 points, but it seems to take almost 20 days to receive the points.