The Legend of Zelda Thread

TCP

That's a really interesting point. The game doesn't feel like what I think of as an "immersive sim", but when you point it out it really does have the core quality of the genre, with interactions with the world. being governed by systems rather than bespoke scripting.

• 6 months later...

What do you think of this  full blown remake of link's awakening as opposed to the previous upgrades other games in the series have received (Wind Waker, , he famous 3d N64 one that the name escapes me and majoras mask). Do you think any more should go ahead or do you think it's enough for now.

Edited by TheFlyingGerbil

If the Link's Awakening remake released for 40 bucks I'd be all for it. However, we all know that's not going to happen because Nintendo gonna Nintendo. It's too short and simple to be worth 60 bucks to me, even if they add a bonus dungeon to the remake. I haven't played every Zelda game there is, but of the ones I have played I do remember beating this one the fastest, even as a kid. It's much smaller in scale than pretty much every Zelda game after the NES, and understandably so since it was a Game Boy game. Of course, back then portable games didn't cost as much as console games. I'd love for Nintendo to prove me wrong here, but I don't think they are going to. They're STILL charging 60 bucks for New Super Mario Bros. re-releases.

I'll have to see more of it because I'm still not quite a fan of the aesthetic. Link's Awakening is special to me however, much like Ocarina of Time. The difference is that when I played it, the DX version mind you, I didn't have anyone else around me who played it. This was also before you could reliably find help online, so I had to figure everything on my own as a kid. Maybe it's not the hardest Zelda title, but it was fun all the same.

It was also the first handheld game that conveyed a sense of melancholy to me. If you know how the game plays out, you understand that statement. I'll play once more to hear the Ballad of the Wind Fish and see it through.

• 3 months later...

It's interesting to read that you didn't think that's Ganon. That zombie is at the very least a male Gerudo. Hair and jewelry match to my newbie eyes. For those more keen, apparently the symbols coming out of the green vortex thing are Gerudo language. 

Ganon is perhaps the most infamous male Gerudo. 

Also perhaps people are looking into it too much but people are saying this zombie seems to call back to Twilight Princess' Ganon. I never beat the game (I personally was able to figure out how to get to the last level...) so I never faced Ganon there. But yeah, if Calamity Ganon is the manifestation of a real, physical Ganon, it changes the outlook of the first game. There's also a distinct possibility that Nintendo is doing more timeline things, for better or for worse. 

It would be cool if it was Ganondorf, but at the same time I'd be more thrilled if it was a unique villain that is somehow using the Malice. Heck, it could be just the Malice taking over the corpse of Ganondorf. Like, in a weird sense, Calamity Ganon is gone, but his infection of Hyrule has become sentient and has a will to consume Hyrule.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Almost at the fourth dungeon of Link's Awakening. Even after getting this far, this art style is still charming as heck. I want every 2D Zelda remade like this. Oracle games obviously. Minish Cap would look great. But I think the original LoZ and A Link to the Past would also be great in this style. Not only could they use the graphical upgrade but the additional movement would make both games feel a lot less antiquated. 

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, TheFlyingGerbil said:

Is their any hint that Age of Calamity was instead of BoTW 2?

No, it was developed by an entirely different company, just with the Zelda license. In fact, from what I hear, it actually sets the stage for BotW2.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, Skyward Sword HD. Woohoo?

I've always thought SS gets more hate than it deserves, but this has even me going "wait, why this game?" The HD ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are right there, and you're bringing over everything else that was ever on Wii U...

What I really want is an OoT remaster (or even better a remake), but I know that's too much to hope for, and I'd settle for a straight port to Switch a la Mario 64. Like honestly Nintendo, we will gladly buy your games over and over again, why won't you just sell them to us?!

The other thing I really want is a remake of ALttP in the style of the Link's Awakening remake.

I know we're early in the year, and a lot of the Mario celebration stuff they didn't announce until late summer/fall, but jeez, this is a disappointing way to start.

Maybe we'll get an OoT/WW/TP HD collection, like Super Zelda 3D All-Stars, and SS will just be its own thing cause it's new...