The Legend of Zelda Thread

TCP

• 1 year later...

I never even thought of rip possibility. Just need to decide if I'll pre-order from Nintendo as they often have nice bonuses (love the tee shirt I got with BoTW). Or wait to see if they have a Switch 2 in a couple of years with this upgraded for it cos I won't want to play it twice.

• 5 months later...

Does this $70 Zelda thing feel like bullshit to anyone else? I see a lot of folks defending it "because it's Zelda" but I have a veritable laundry list of reasons that falls flat for me. 

- For starters, I think Breath of the Wild is already overrated, but I accept that is a minority opinion

- Same map and a lot of recycled assets. I know the game isn't out but I don't believe for a minute it's going to be comprised of mostly new assets. Otherwise, they would have shown more of that by now.

- A $70 Playstation or Xbox game will eventually have a price drop. A $70 Nintendo game will probably take an entire generation to drop in price even a little, and that's if you're lucky. Frankly, a lot of Nintendo games already feel overpriced to me.

- The Switch is ancient hardware. They are basically charging 70 for a PS3 game. I hated paying 70 for God of War Ragnarok but you know what? I can at least see where the money went in the production because the game is gorgeous and it ran smooth as butter. A Switch game will often struggle to even hit 30 FPS in 720p, and you want me to pay 70 for that? Fuck outta here.

- "But inflation" I hear some people say. Yeah, I have no sympathy. You know why? Because prices kept going up and yet wages still didn't keep pace with it. Even before COVID, the wage increase to inflation ratio was absolutely atrocious. So pardon me if I'm not shedding any tears for Nintendo getting a smaller profit margin. Making up their inflation losses with my already limited and devalued funds is not my responsibility.

- You know damn well they're also going to sell an expansion pass for this game. That's another 30 bucks minimum.

- Elden Ring is 60 bucks and don't even try to tell me that Zelda is going to be bigger or more ambitious than that game was.

3 hours ago, Mister Jack said:

- A $70 Playstation or Xbox game will eventually have a price drop. A $70 Nintendo game will probably take an entire generation to drop in price even a little, and that's if you're lucky. Frankly, a lot of Nintendo games already feel overpriced to me.

This is the only argument against it that I really find convincing. As for the rest of it, I mean, video games have been $60 for like 20 years now, they were going to have to go up eventually, it's just how prices work. You're right that wages haven't kept up with inflation, but they have gone up some in that amount of time, and really it's not a very big increase. If games had kept up with inflation over that time then a $60 from the start of the 360 generation (2005) would be like $90 now, so really they have gotten cheaper in real terms, even with the price increase. Hell, my 64 games cost $70 in the mid 90's, which I know is because cartridges were expensive, but that doesn't really matter to the end consumer.

So it's perfectly fair to say it's not worth it to you, but $70 now is the same real value as $60 was in 2018, which means even at $70 the games are still cheaper in real terms than they ever were before then.

On 2/22/2023 at 3:35 PM, Mister Jack said:

- For starters, I think Breath of the Wild is already overrated, but I accept that is a minority opinion

[Hard agree. It's got some great features. Is an amazing tech demo for what Switch is capable of. But I didn't enjoy it the way I did Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.]

- Same map and a lot of recycled assets. I know the game isn't out but I don't believe for a minute it's going to be comprised of mostly new assets. Otherwise, they would have shown more of that by now.

[Also agree, to a point. There's a huge saving in having the same assets, carrying over features, not having to build the map from scratch (especially if it's all the same engine). I'll wait and see if there is anything new in there that makes me think they've step-changed.)

[Agree with Ethan on this. A brand new game of that scale for $70 is (imo) fair.]

- The Switch is ancient hardware. They are basically charging 70 for a PS3 game. I hated paying 70 for God of War Ragnarok but you know what? I can at least see where the money went in the production because the game is gorgeous and it ran smooth as butter. A Switch game will often struggle to even hit 30 FPS in 720p, and you want me to pay 70 for that? Fuck outta here.

[Also agree. COGS for this should have come way down over the years. Dev costs will be higher because Ninty pay their people right though, so this might offset any gains in cheaper to produce cartridges.]

- "But inflation" I hear some people say. Yeah, I have no sympathy. You know why? Because prices kept going up and yet wages still didn't keep pace with it. Even before COVID, the wage increase to inflation ratio was absolutely atrocious. So pardon me if I'm not shedding any tears for Nintendo getting a smaller profit margin. Making up their inflation losses with my already limited and devalued funds is not my responsibility.

[This applies to a great many things, including heating and eating. It's not fair, but what is?]

- You know damn well they're also going to sell an expansion pass for this game. That's another 30 bucks minimum.

[As long as the main content is worth $70, I don't have an issue with there being DLC]

- Elden Ring is 60 bucks and don't even try to tell me that Zelda is going to be bigger or more ambitious than that game was.

[Agreed.]

The man talks a lot of sense. Plus, if it still has weapon durability, I'm not touching it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wasn't expecting a new Zelda game on the Switch. I'm assuming it will be more puzzley than combaty else it might feel a bit frantic trying to conjure something up with someone is charging you but I like that it's a bit of a different take on things.

I never got the Link's Awakening remake as I don't like to replay games so look forward to playing a game in that style as I think it looks lovely. I wonder how big it will be  and if it will have traditional dungeons but will definitely be keen to get it.