Apps that have caught your eye

Mister Jack

I've never heard of Press as an app which is indeed why it didn't make sense. Saying it was an app rather than to read the previous post would have been helpful and no more effort. But I guess one isn't obliged to be helpful if it isn't in one's nature.

Are you seriously trying to make an excuse as to why I should have to include the question in my answer?

I would have liked you to include an answer in your answer.

That is the usual response to a question, so seemed reasonable to expect. Two other people managed it.

It was an answer to the previous post. Are you too lazy to go back a page?

I READ THE PREVIOUS POST. I didn't understand what you wrote, because I haven't heard of the app, "press". I've already said that - the previous post doesn't mention press so it doesn't help me with your post.

All you needed to do was be nice and write "press is an app that works with feedly" OR be neutral and not write anything and someone else could answer (as two kindly did). Instead you chose to give an entirely unhelpful and douchey response.

Anyway. I didn't understand, you were unhelpful - it's a tale as old as time (or at least this board). This conversation isn't going anyway so let's just drop it.

• Like 2

I READ THE PREVIOUS POST. I didn't understand what you wrote, because I haven't heard of the app, "press". I've already said that - the previous post doesn't mention press so it doesn't help me with your post.

All you needed to do was be nice and write "press is an app that works with feedly" OR be neutral and not write anything and someone else could answer (as two kindly did). Instead you chose to give an entirely unhelpful and douchey response.

Anyway. I didn't understand, you were unhelpful - it's a tale as old as time (or at least this board). This conversation isn't going anyway so let's just drop it.

No, you're just an idiot. The question is "What RSS readers are you using?" The answer is Press. Given the context how would Press be anything other than an app? Especially when I mention using Feedly as its RSS service?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using the free trial version of an app called Ultimate Rotation Control on my tablet recently that I think is pretty handy. It isn't completely free like some other apps that control your device's rotation, but what sets it apart is the ability to set rotation controls per app rather than forcing the entire device into one mode. You can even force apps into a mode they usually doesn't even support if you want, but be warned that this doesn't work for everything. You do have to buy a license for 2.99 after 7 days, but I'm pretty happy with it. If you've been wanting a good way to control your device's orientation it couldn't hurt to try it for a week and see if you like it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's this app, Pushover. It's a service where they assign you a "User Key". You could send emails to that user key, like a regular email address, and I think you could use that as a service too, to link to other apps. One I kept seeing is how it's tightly integrated to IFTTT, which is an app I really want to use but I don't really get. Maybe I'm just on an iPhone and the options are limited, but I've read there are even more things you could do with that app on Android. But that's not the topic!

So, Pushover. Anything sent to your Pushover account, you get a push notification on your device. You could push certain messages to certain devices only, or to all of them. I have multiple email accounts, for different purposes, and I don't want to get push notifications for all of my accounts. So I set up a gmail filter to filter out certain messages and forward those (a copy) to my pushover "email". So I get notifications for certain things that way.

I guess I could have done that with gmail filters alone... and the app is 4.99 after a 5 day trial. I'm just trying it out for now, and I'll see if there are other services like this later for free. But this one looks good though and seems to do exactly what I want.

Edited by Agent 1011

Hmm... I'll look into that. I checked the website, it doesn't seem to do what I want it to do (push certain emails). But it looks like this one has a browser extension that can be used to push stuff to the phone, which is going to be very useful IMO. I'll try it out.

Update: Wow! That pushbullet app is going to be extremely useful to me! I use dropbox to transfer files (images mostly, wallpapers) and Apple's Notes to sync text, but this is going to be faster and a whole lot easier. Thanks! And it uploads the images to one of those amazon servers. Works well for temporarily hosting images. Like this one right here:

wonderwoman.jpg

Though it wouldn't really work for my use case above. I just want notifications for specific emails basically...

Update again!: Well apparently it can work. I just need to use IFTTT to push it to pushbullet...

Probably the final update: I tried it with IFTTT and it works. Though IFTTT is on a 15 minute trigger so... I guess I'll have to decide if I want instant push notifications (they're push notifications after all), or I can wait 15 mins.

Edited by Agent 1011

Pretty cool wallpaper app. All sorts of interesting wallpapers, not just cityscapes or pictures of Korean celebs.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kuvva-wallpapers/id558467718?mt=8

An image search of Kuvva would show the wallpapers that can be found in the app.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kuvva&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uDPgU669NpH0oASe3ICwCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use the Google Drive app on their iPhone? or Android?

I can't seem to figure out how to move multiple files (say a group of photos i've uploaded) to some other folder. The only option of moving files that I see is to Tap on the "i" button, then tap "move". But this moves files 1 at a time.

It seems like a very big oversight. Dropbox has this, and most file managing apps have an easily accesible "select" option to pick out multiple files. Does Google Drive not have this?

Anyone use the Google Drive app on their iPhone? or Android?

I can't seem to figure out how to move multiple files (say a group of photos i've uploaded) to some other folder. The only option of moving files that I see is to Tap on the "i" button, then tap "move". But this moves files 1 at a time.

It seems like a very big oversight. Dropbox has this, and most file managing apps have an easily accesible "select" option to pick out multiple files. Does Google Drive not have this?

Management wise there's like no options in the mobile app. Just use your computer. Though really I've never even bothered managing from within the app. On my phone I only care about the stuff that's actually on my phone. I use Solid Explorer for that.

In SF Lyft is about 2 to 3 dollars cheaper per ride, which is actually pretty good, but Uber has better coverage in the area. I've had an overall better experience with Lyft drivers as well, they are friendlier. I just like to pull out both apps and see how quickly I can get a ride. In San Francisco Lyft is the better option, outside SF Uber has better coverage by far. Just all depends

Hitman GO

This is what I've been playing during my D3 downtime.

It's a really good mobile game. Basically you move around the board, while the enemy also moves around (all enemies move at the same time, and there are different enemy types). You either get to the checkpoint, or assassinate someone. Each board/stage has 3 challenges (certain # of turns, collect briefcase, kill everyone/no one), but you don't have to do them in 1 go (and sometimes it's impossible to). There are also distraction items, guns, and other stuff (like tunnels/teleports).

I got it when it was on sale for 1.99 on the App Store. It's usually 4.99.

Edited by Eleven

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it belongs here, but I figured since our last "uber/lyft" suggestions I want to share a short story of how I was burned by Uber last night.

I requested a ride, the guy couldn't find me and after I waited some time I looked at my phone and noticed it said I was currently in the ride. I cancelled and was notified of a $5 cancellation fee, fine what ever.

I got home and saw that I was charged $10 for the ride, $5 for canceling and $5 for fare and taxes. I was upset but Uber refunded me the whole $10 instead of just the $5 fare ride.

Cant really say it was a good experience, but Uber corrected itself pretty quickly (less than 5 min) but Lyft picked me up at and took me home so really no harm no foul.

Not sure if it belongs here, but I figured since our last "uber/lyft" suggestions I want to share a short story of how I was burned by Uber last night.

I requested a ride, the guy couldn't find me and after I waited some time I looked at my phone and noticed it said I was currently in the ride. I cancelled and was notified of a $5 cancellation fee, fine what ever.

I got home and saw that I was charged $10 for the ride, $5 for canceling and $5 for fare and taxes. I was upset but Uber refunded me the whole $10 instead of just the $5 fare ride.

Cant really say it was a good experience, but Uber corrected itself pretty quickly (less than 5 min) but Lyft picked me up at and took me home so really no harm no foul.

Don't blame Uber for having a shitty driver. People like that get bounced from the service pretty fast. Obviously the corporate overlords don't want you having that experience which is why your refund went smoothly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They split the Office Mobile apps into 3, Word, Excel, Powerpoint (i think, i never use it) a la Google Docs. Which is a bit sucky, since we now need 3 more apps. I now have a Docs folder with Docs, Sheets, Word, and Excel on it. Folders are fine I guess, but they just look ugly on the home screen.

It's quite good though. The Word app offers the regular document view, just like how you'd see it on the desktop or on office online. It also has the stripped down view, which the old Office Mobile app offered, for easier reading. You can edit in both modes, it's pretty cool. It got a lot more usable for me since I need to view docs with tons of formatting sometimes and the streamlined/mobile view messes that up.

Not sure if it's still free. Office Mobile, which really only offered a mobile view of your documents, used to be free for iPhone, but you'd need a subscription for the iPad apps (it counted as 1 computer against your subscription). I'm a subscriber so I wasn't able to tell.

Edited by Eleven

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm currently playing around with Duolingo. I'm not sure how long I will keep using this but it is fun to at least learn some languages at a baby level. For example, I didn't know nouns are capitalized in German and there are masculine and feminine articles (e.g., ein, eine). Also when was the last time I dealt with usted? I recall all the forms of usted to be an absolute bitch to remember. 

Edit: for clarity. 

Edited by MaliciousH