What are you currently playing?

Cyber Rat

I started Sekiro and it's absolutely kicking my arse and I genuinely don't know if I'm good enough, or even capable of being good enough to make any meaningful progress with this game. Which is a real shame because I can see myself adoring it, I just suck. And given I can't over-level to get around trickier fights, I'm afraid I've run out of rope. 

I've got Dark Souls III installed. Maybe that'd suit me better. I don't mind the challenge, it's just Sekiro requires such a level of mastery, and I'm old and tired and kind of incapable of giving the game what it wants from me. 

16 hours ago, Mister Jack said:

Sekiro is definitely the hardest From game, hands down. What ended up being the brick wall for you?

Seven Ashina Spears and Lady Butterfly, more so SAS to be honest. I've spent the last 6 hours maining those two enemies and try as I might I'm not getting close. There's very little room to make a mistake, especially with SAS who's an absolute unit in terms of health, posture and sheer damage output; one mistake and it's over. 

**Update**

Spent a little time playing this morning. I've been grinding the castle in an effort to level my guy up a little. I got hold of the 'Carp' upgrades and it made a massive different to the encounter with SAS to the point where I took him on once, was a bit more aggressive and ended him first time.

I'm also going to ensure I've got as many Gourd Seeds as possible for where I am right now, then I'll take on Lady B again and see if I can't figure that one out. 

Edited by danielpholt
  • Rock On 2

Ran around for a bit and watched a few videos on what the game wants off of me. Lady B has since been dispatched. Took maybe 5-6 attempts but it's done, and it wasn't that much hassle once I'd figured out that I need to be much more aggressive than I would normally be. 

Amazing game 10/10.

• Like 1
  • Rock On 1

• 4 weeks later...

Daemon X Machina

I don't want to call this Dollar Store Armored Core, because it is kinda fun,and it does have some cool features, but parts of it do feel like "Armored Core at Home" lol.

Still early in the game, but the hangar feels a bit pointless, you can only walk around the main area, and you can't talk to any of the NPCs that are around, looking at your mech is cool, but that's all you can do, the main thing here is just the terminals you use to launch story missions or multiplayer stuff.

Combat also feels like it's lacking impact, guns sound too weak and pretty much all bullet type weapons I've used look and sound like BB guns, missiles do look and sound better, but not by much.

Characters look weird under certain lighting, this could be the result of this being a Switch port, but there's some odd shenanigans going on with their faces. :P

All that said though, until Fires of Rubicon comes out, this is the closest you'll get to a new AC, and since it was free on EGS, it's not bad. :P

I installed the seamless co-op mod for Elden Ring to play with a friend and it's been a pretty fun experience. The mod actually attempts to feel like a legit game mode so it's not just adding a bunch of people and steamrolling over everything. The enemies scale depending on how many people are playing together, just like in the normal game, and includes extra scaling for a fourth player. It adds some QoL tweaks to the game to better facilitate the mod too, like showing other players on the map on compass. However, it still has to follow certain rules to function. For example, if one player rests at a grace then the world is reset for all players, even if they're in the middle of a boss battle. It's pretty much necessary for the mod to work at all. Even with that in mind, this is a beta and there's still some jank. It works fairly well for the most part, but there were a couple crashes and sometimes my partner or myself were unable to summon Torrent in the field, which could only be fixed by quitting and rejoining the session. The mod has kinks to work out, but if you've played Elden Ring a ton of times already then this is a good way to revitalize the experience.

• Like 1

I started Metal: Hellsinger last night, played the first two levels and really enjoyed it. I never got on much with the modern Dooms, and this is a similar feel but is really clicking with me. It just feels so good to be doing everything to the beat, and the music is great. It starts out with just a beat, but as you build your multiplier it layers on more and more of the track. It's so hype when you hit a 16x multiplier and the vocals kick in, up there with the Persona 5 music when you're doing you're final thieving run on a dungeon.

It does have weird performance characteristics on PC. Adjusting the graphics settings doesn't seem to affect framerate at all, resolution is the only thing that seemed to matter. On the main menu (which has a 3D scene in the background) at 4k ultra I got 84 fps, and at 4k low I got 85 fps. Turning it down to 1440p got me to locked 120, but again other settings had no effect. It's not a major problem, I can play at 1440p, it's just weird.

• Rock On 2

I'm onto the final boss/s in Sekiro, but I know it's going to require me to spend a bit of time learning the fight, so I'm taking a week or two off from it with the aim of playing a few other games for a bit. 

The Devil In Me: The final (?) episode of this current batch of Dark Pictures games. I'm about 2/3 of the way through and whilst the actual idea behind this game is kinda awesome, it takes a good hour or two before you get to that part of the game. They've also changed up some of the QTE's from previous games, although I'll be honest I'm not in love with a few of them, that's a preference thing however. I hope to have it finished in the next day or two, and I think it'll likely end up placing 3/4 in my ranking of these games (Behind Little Hope and House of Ashes).

Kirby and the Forgotten Kingdom: I'm working through this with my daughter who absolutely loves it. For what it's worth I think it's kinda okay too.

• Like 1

"Kinda okay" is a good description of how I felt about that game.

I've been playing Signalis, and holy shit is this game good. It's like Dino Crisis x Dead Space, done in a 32-bit game style, and I love it. Someone had suggested it to me at Halloween, but for whatever reason the visual style didn't appeal to me, but that's because I was obviously suffering from a massive psychotic episode, because this game is gorgeous. The gameplay itself may not be for everyone, it's third-person fixed camera, survival horror, find the keys to unlock the doors type experience, but it's really clicking with me, and I definitely recommend checking it out if it sounds even remotely interesting to you. And it's on Game Pass!

On 1/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, TheMightyEthan said:

"Kinda okay" is a good description of how I felt about that game.

I've been playing Signalis, and holy shit is this game good. It's like Dino Crisis x Dead Space, done in a 32-bit game style, and I love it. Someone had suggested it to me at Halloween, but for whatever reason the visual style didn't appeal to me, but that's because I was obviously suffering from a massive psychotic episode, because this game is gorgeous. The gameplay itself may not be for everyone, it's third-person fixed camera, survival horror, find the keys to unlock the doors type experience, but it's really clicking with me, and I definitely recommend checking it out if it sounds even remotely interesting to you. And it's on Game Pass!

I'm working my way through Signalis right now and I echo what @TheMightyEthan says. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cyberpunk 2077

Got back to it after playing for a bit during launch, PS5 upgrade is pretty neat, beyond the graphics, which do look pretty cool, the way it uses the dualsense features is the best part IMO. :P

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Been watching a bunch of Star Wars stuff on D+ so I got the itch to play this one, combat is fun, exploration is neat, but some of the platforming is killing me, 100% on me though, I just can't handle third person platforming. :P After a detour into hell I went to the planet I'm actually supposed to be in and it's much easier, still no purple lightsaber though :(.

• Like 1

God of War Ragnarok

Initial impressions were much the same as with the 2018 game in that I felt utterly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I could craft, upgrade, unlock and add to my 'build'. I think I'm beginning to get my head around that aspect now, although I'd still argue the game gives you far too much stuff in that regard. I've just runes coming out of my special attacks that are attached to my gauntlets (or at least it feels like it). 

I also had a pretty rough time with the combat. Maybe the game suffers a little from the fact that the previous game I played was Sekiro, which is held in pretty high standard, but Ragnarok like 2018 before it just feels....kinda rubbish in comparison. I've notched it down to the second highest difficulty, which alleviates a lot of the frustration, and allows me to get to the bits I'm actually enjoying; namely the story, characters and incredible visuals. 

HLTB says this is going to take me upwards of 40 hrs to complete. I'm a bit pressed for time these days, so I likely won't be going on too many sidequests, but I still imagine this one will take me the best part of a month or two to beat, and that's okay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Cyberpunk might be shorter than I expected?

Been taking it easy, doing side jobs, gigs and other stuff in between main jobs, but I just noticed I'm 60% through the main story?

That is, if I'm understanding the percentages that show up at the top of the character menu correctly. :P

13 minutes ago, MetalCaveman said:

I think Cyberpunk might be shorter than I expected?

Been taking it easy, doing side jobs, gigs and other stuff in between main jobs, but I just noticed I'm 60% through the main story?

That is, if I'm understanding the percentages that show up at the top of the character menu correctly. :P

Yeah the main story is super short compared to Witcher 3. It's probably like 20 hours or so in total. Once you get to a point where it feels like things are picking up for real, you're basically done lol. I remember thinking I was like 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through at a particular mission but then my friend told me "Nah, it's the final mission after that."

All I can say is don't be like Ethan and neglect all the side-content. 😂 The side-missions are the best part of the game by far. My favorite quest of the entire game is one of those questlines and I'm going to be super disappointed if the DLC doesn't pick up that particular plot thread.

Edited by toxicitizen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did not, because it didn't involve a major side character I was interested in. ;)

*Edit - From googling around it looks like that one's easy to miss in general, because it just presents like any other random side job, it doesn't get interesting until you're a decent way into it.

Is it?

I did that last night.

Spoiler

That the one where the dudes ask you to look into the death of the other dude, the mayor right?

Talked to the cop dude, learned the mayor was killed in that secret club, cop dude learned his partner was in on the cover-up, then told the Peralezes that it was complicated.

Guy was like "Wut you min complecated?"

Lady was all "Means we better be careful or we're toast you nugget!"

Then I left.

Is there more or did I miss something?

:P