Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

excel_excel

The next Final Fantasy XIII announced it in this loooonnnngggg ass video.

Why is Lighting returning being presented as this incredible thing? I dunno. I guess maybe she was really popular, but this damn video drags and drags. Final Fantasy is like a crystal? Of course! XIII is like a boquet of roses? That explains everything. Christ.

Anyway, here's the info that actually matters.

The game takes place within the world of Novus Partus, which contains four large islands and the game will chronicle the last thirteen days of the game's universe.

Players control Lightning as she finds a way to save the worlds from extinction. Players will be able to customize Lightning's attire, including her armor and weapons, but there is no information on whether she can equip weapons other than shields and swords of various sizes. The game will still retain the Paradigm Shift combat system, except that players can move Lightning around the battlefield and swap weapons instantaneously.

"Final Fantasy XIII" producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama also announced a Twitter and Facebook account for the game. Players can give their feedback and thoughts on past titles so that the design team may implement them during the game's development.
Its due out next year on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/article/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-due-next-year

I like the idea of moving Lighting during the battle system. That's closer to the original FF XIII trailer than any of XIII was. And what I like more is this being the final game of the XIII world. At least, I hope it is.

Edited by Deanb

Oh that is quite long. I think I'll watch it later.

As for Lightning, she was pretty much made to be female Cloud, so there's that. Also she does go missing, hence the plot of FFXIII-2, so you have "Lightning Returns".

She's now a kind of herald of god type, in fact I think she actually got upgraded to second coming of that god..can't 100% remember. I think the game ended with her in the throne. Albiet kinda dead looking.

And yeah kinda neat they've finally said "yeah we're ending this trilogy". They've still got several other FF titles to finish off as well though. Proper FF games too, since from what I've being reading of this (though I've seen nothing first hand) it's more of an action game than a FF JRPG type.

• Like 1

That's what I got from the vid though. I wasn't giving it 100% attention so I might have missed something, but I felt like he was describing an action/rpg type of game.

What I got is:

It's an action/rpg type game. Just read from excel's post above that it retains the Paradigm Shift system.

Open, living world - The world driven concept (they said it doesn't exist on the internet???), i took that as an open world game, where everyone has a script on what to do if/when/whatever happens. Kinda like... Skyrim... but even more detailed. Also, it's not just the people. The world/environment lives too. So the city closes gates at night (trapping you, as they said on the video), transportation is on a set schedule, like train systems.

Time limit! But not a hard time limit. You apparently can add more hours(?) or whatever by doing certain actions.

BUT! All this is concept... I'm kinda excited... but I don't really understand what they're trying to do...

Also... facebook. I don't know what they're trying to do there. I didn't understand what he was saying...

I'm not sure why Square-Enix is convinced people cared about or liked Lightning when Sazh was the best character in FFXIII by magnitudes similar to the earthquakes of Chile.

A sequel starring Sazh is one I would actually buy. I have no interest in the world or any other characters, but Sazh was the best character Square Enix has created in years. That chapter 8 with Sazh and Vanille was the only part of XIII which I found genuinely gripping.

Edited by excel_excel

In the beginning absolutely she was a cold bitch, but I thought she had a great character transformation.

That said, I'd love to see Sazh get his own game at some point. Maybe a FPS since he uses guns??? Ok maybe not, given on Square's track record with Final Fantasy FPS spinoffs. :P

But she just became nice. There was nothing realistic about how she changed all of a sudden, or why she was such a bitch in the first place. She was so bland, she had none of the sarcastic charm of Cloud, who was a bit of a dick to begin with and underwent a transformation but he was still likable, even before that.

And Sazh in any game would be awesome! I was hoping he was a party member in Theatrhythm. He wasn't :(

Edited by excel_excel

• 3 months later...

@eleven & TCP:

Square say that the focus is on making Lightning Returns a world-driven game with deep customization.

What if they mean customizable outfits? Which would explain the ridiculous look.

edit: Guess not. Doesn't look as ridiculous in motion.

http://kotaku.com/5970009/heres-your-first-trailer-for-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii

The embed kept working in the preview and then the code woudl get all fucked up once posting. Feel free to edit it in.

Edited by Faiblesse Des Sens

I have come to pass judgement on this new trailer! I say that the writing and voice delivery are both uninspiring. But that's kinda par for the course now in the FF XIII universe - it would be really WEIRD if they stepped away from nonsense talk about darkness and light and god's commands for the end of the trilogy. There are people who dig this stuff, and it's appropriate that Square Enix continue to target them with this game. A game with a different narrative focus shouldn't be an FF XIII game.

Hey, look at that! Our protagonist has some mobility moving around the world now! This has been standard in all manner of third person video games for approximately forever, and Square Enix now wants in on that action. I see absolutely no reason why the good parts of JRPGs would be at all threatened by being able to navigate the world in a more interesting manner than just sliding around the ground, so it's past time this happened. I hope it's well done, but obviously it's not gonna be to the standard of Batman or Assassin's Creed. This is Square Enix Japan's first time trying this after all (well except for FF X-2, but the less said about that attempt the better).

Lastly, Deanb and FDS, I believe the trailer was not supposed to come out this early and has been pulled down. That may be why you're having trouble embedding it. I saw it through a guy's Youtube channel who was quick enough to copy it while it was up.