Project Shield

deanb

gaming-nvidia-project-shield-console-1.jpg

http://shield.nvidia.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20931265

http://www.eurogamer...d-spec-analysis

The main news for me is Tegra 4 (Wayne) now being shown off and supposedly UE4 supporting Android*. And this handheld will certainly be boasting some impressive specs, but the form factor is a fair bit fugly. But I imagine potentially quite comfortable since it's a traditional style controller instead of the kind of design seen on the Vita and 3DS with a flatter profile. It also means another high profile device rocking controller support and pushing gaming for Android titles, so even if you're not too fussed over Nvidias particular implementation it'll have a knock-on effect with android gaming in general.

*not too much of a surprise I guess as lacking Android support would accidentally give Unity an edge over their UDK.

How much of a market is there for Android devices that aren't phones? That's what I'm wondering here. Are Nvidia trying to get this sort of device jumpstarted, trying to create some sort of market for it to compete with the Vita and 3DS? Will people want to buy this when they also have a smartphone?

The reasonably priced tablet market is a growing sector, and on Tablets half are used for gaming so I guess it might be somewhat decent? Or at least more than might be expected.

This isn't going to sell gangbusters and I don't think it's meant to. It's meant to sell enough to entice devs to make games for Tegra(zone) and enough to make manufacturers build Tegra based devices. Android is a mature, and free, platform with plenty of games support for it so it kinda makes sense I guess for a bunch of companies to jump on using it as a basis to build consoles and handhelds around. Surprised Nvidia made a handheld though when they could, as the makers of Tegra, jumped right in with an Ouya-competitor. Especially if you add in all the features this has.

Also just remembered:, there is the Wikipad, so this thing is less fugly than it could have been.

I'm not sure how this is an Ouya competitor. The Ouya isn't portable.

When you consider that you can plug this into a TV and play it as an Android console, you now have something that can compete with the Ouya, but not the other way around. Ouya may not be portable like this, so in some terms the Ouya cannot compete, but this can still compete against the Ouya.

• 4 weeks later...

I get they've the PC and monitor in the background to show what it's doing on the PC, but at that range you may as well use a 360 pad. Obviously this does a bit more than just that and the Nvidia Grid thing is sort of more of a side feature, but does seem exceedingly niche. Neat tech, but within the home rather niche. I'll use Splashtop occasionally to control my PC from living room but if I was gaming I'd move my ass to my PC tower and play on the bigger screen.

• 1 month later...

It's mainly covering the basics so far, things we largely knew. They do note that many of the main capabilities of it, such as the streaming and the speakers they're proud of, aren't best shown on a conference floor full of noise and wi-fi. The biggest issues I guess it's going to hit is potential price, and Nvidia aren't known for their low pricing. Also an issue of taking something built to play on a 17"+ screen and shrinking it down to 5". It seems being "retinal" that it does avoid some of the issues with reading and such.

• 1 month later...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/nvidias-android-powered-shield-console-ships-in-june-for-349/

$350 launch price for June.

Price is about right given that it's;

• Nvidia
  • Brand new Tegra 4 chip
  • Custom unit (as in not using cheap tablet factoring processes)
  • not expected to sell tens of millions of units anyway.

It's basically a GTX600+/Nvidia Grid seller. They want it to do well enough others will join in (of which Valve had already made nods their way), and from there sell GTX cards to do the streaming, and license out Tegra chips to android manufacturers too. Tegra 3 is already the chip of choice for current Nexus 7 and launch Ouya, this is Nvidias way of joining in the Android gaming splurge of late, as well as the "make your own flagship device" thing going on atm in tech world (of which MS and Google are experience different levels of success with).