Thief

I'm pretty stoked that we're getting reboots of Thief and Deus Ex, my two favorite PC stealth franchises of my teen years.

I had actually forgotten Thief 4 was actually happening (if it's already been announced, I can't remember).

First screenshot found here:

http://www.pcgamer.c...enshot-appears/

Looks like it's either in third person, or there's an option to switch between the two.

Hmm... fingers crossed!

It's more a "fuzzy photograph" than "screenshot" but yeah saw it on RPS this morning.

I've played neither though I've recently tried to. I acquired Deadly Shadows. Turns out it doesn't run on 64-bit OSes or something (see that's why you do that first). I'm miffed cos in first year we had a random copy of Thief (I think second one, metal age?) appeared in the kitchen/common area and it was just sort of there. End of year in packing up it turned out it was none of ours so went up for grabs. It ended up getting tossed.

I've heard good things on the series, so yeah I'll be looking forward to that.

Thanks for the reminder on Deus Ex.

btw do we know it's Multi-plat?

What? It's not Ubi... it's actually Eidos/Squeenix. Same as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I believe they're even developed by the same team (Montreal based, even, so I'm close by :D)

Also, Deux Ex is a prequel, but I don't think it's a reboot. No idea about Thief, though. But if it was a reboot, I don't think they'd call it Thief 4 :P

Either way, those two series are also among my all-time favorites. Pretty excited to see them both return.

What? It's not Ubi... it's actually Eidos/Squeenix. Same as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I believe they're even developed by the same team (Montreal based, even, so I'm close by :D)

Also, Deux Ex is a prequel, but I don't think it's a reboot. No idea about Thief, though. But if it was a reboot, I don't think they'd call it Thief 4 :P

Either way, those two series are also among my all-time favorites. Pretty excited to see them both return.

Ohh, woops, you're right.

I'd kind of consider these series reboots, just considering how long it's been since the last entries and that they're new studios developing them, but I was wrong about the studio on Thief.

Thief is like... cyber-steampunk fantasy. It's so weird and awesome at the same time, and that's why I love it. Glad to see they're bringing it back, just hope they don't screw it up.

Those Pagansies, weirdsies they be. And the Hammerites, their Builder be praised. The Keepers and their secrets.

And then there's Garrett and his robot eye. Heehee.

Edited by Pirandello

Never played any of the thief games? Still hold up today>?

They still hold up pretty well, actually. The atmosphere never goes away with the Thief games. Some levels will still scare you crapless regardless of age.

True that. They were pretty dated when I played them a few years ago and they were still some of the best games I had ever (and still have) ever played. The first one fucked with me big time with it's giant spiders (at one point I was surrounded in a cave and one of them jumped and I lost sight of it and well... long story short: I ran blindly, quicksaved when I felt safe, and realized I was completely lost (and god knows the map in those games was no help :lol:). Anyway, Thief was great but Thief 2 was such an improvement in every aspect.

I still hope they'll one day appear on Steam :(

Edited by FLD

• 2 years later...

Some leaked screens of the upcoming game, looks pretty (assumed to be next-gen screens, Xbox 3 specifically) but looks aren't everything.

http://gamemag.ru/news/pervie-skrinshoti-novogo-thief-84980

edit:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/05/thief-4-screenshots/

It's officially just called "Thief" now, no stupid "Thi4f" and coming to PC too.

Well dunno how good your Russian is but:

Nо данным портала CVG проект Thief 4 будет выпущен на некст-ген консолях в следующем году после релиза Xbox 720.

Also the leak is not long before the 720 announce, so folks are figuring it'll be one of the reveal games (since it's too early for E3, though could be GDC reveal...though it's kinda like now given hand is forced)

So glad this is finally being unveiled. Thief and Deus Ex are probably my two favorite game series ever and ever since Human Revolution turned out as great as it did, I've been eagerly waiting for more details on this one. 

Also, looks like this is the first game that will force me to upgrade. Or buy a next-gen console, I guess. And according to the Game Informer page, it's not just Xbox. They actually only mention the PS4 and PC so I think it's safe to assume most next-gen platforms will get it. 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

Edited by FLD

Well dunno how good your Russian is but:

Nо данным портала CVG проект Thief 4 будет выпущен на некст-ген консолях в следующем году после релиза Xbox 720.

That just says it's releasing after the 720.  I was asking if you had a reason for thinking those renders aren't on PS4 or PC.

Because the word on the wire is it's Xbox 3 screens,

Okay, that's what I was looking for.  I just wasn't sure if you were just assuming it was 720 screens or if there was info/rumors to that effect?

Also, what's wrong with calling it the 720?  It's shorter than Xbox 3.

Well. All jokes aside Bethesda already pretty much stated that sales were way above their expectations so that they consider it one of their franchises now. Aka it'll get a sequel at some point though for many games released in the last year it might be a while as some of these engines are a bit outdated for newer consoles.