What are you listening to now?

Chronixal

I like it - what sort of music would you call this?

edit: Just realised it's quite similar in style to the song I put at the top of this page:

are they the same genre? I need a hip young dude who's totally with-it to help me out.

Edited by TheFlyingGerbil

Funny, while I haven't been on GTAV as much as I should be, I've been throwing on the radio stations on youtube while playing other stuff (since when I do play I often find myself stopping in the car to finish hearing what's on), and just yesterday I was telling my friend that I believe this to be the best reggae station of any GTA game. I was also bragging about how many of the songs I already knew. That Yelowman tune was one I first heard back when I got a box set called The Story of Jamaican music, maybe around 99. Great stuff, from dancehall's golden age. Gotta love that ketchup.

On a side note, I believe the name of the station to be a tribute to Black Ark Studios, which was the name of the studio where Lee "Scratch" Perry produced tons of classic tracks, and reshaped the dub scene with techniques that, last I've heard, have still not been completely sussed out today. Jump at the Lee Perry "Arkology" compilation if you're interested. I'm pretty sure that at least one or two tracks from that collection are featured in GTAV.

• Like 1

Reminds me of when my old played used to play a reggae, ska to punk medley with bits from all sorts of songs. Let me see if I can remember the order...Message To You Rudy, Monkey Man, Rocket Man, Summer Lovin', 54-46, Tetris (i.e. Korobeiniki), Soul Limbo, Sailor's Hornpipe.

The 54-46 bit was always good fun; such a great riddim. I believe it's used in one of the tracks in GTA V as well.

• Like 2

I was drinking beer with friends about a week ago and one of them put this on. I wasn't paying attention at first but then I did a double take when I actually looked at the guys in the video.

I knew of the band by name before but I had never actually checked them out. The song got stuck in my head and now I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop since that night.

Edited by FLD

Mumford and Sons is a solid band for sure but I got to agree with the critics... after a bit all of their songs will sound the same. I would say even more so than say the metal bands I listen to like Sabaton. They're wonderful for those moments though.

Just because this is a special week.

• Like 2