What are you listening to now?

Chronixal

Score. Cantonese music isn't just all pop songs or hip hop. Now if only one exist that is like Blind Guardian but is based around the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. That would be totally badass.

Edit:
Guess the fuck what? Chinese symphonic power metal. This is towards stuff like Symphony X or Rhapsody of Fire. I'm getting close.

Edited by MaliciousH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJ05J6JnCM

Found a new doujin vocalist - めらみぽっぷ or "Meramipop". Couldn't find any albums by her, but I'll have to check out some by ぴずやの独房 (Pizuya's Cell), and
(Sally? Sarii?) to see how their stuff with other vocalists stacks up. These lyrics seem fitting for what 綾倉 盟 (Mei Ayakura), my favourite doujin vocalist tends to write. Edited by fuchikoma

How does singing work in Cantonese? I don't notice the verbal tonality in some artists' songs, but I hardly know any Cantonese - is it just more subtle, or is it overlooked for songs?

The songs don't seem familiar, but hip hoppers in orange jumpsuits do... (Though this is kinda cheating since the 2nd group here was scouted by the 1st.)

Edited by fuchikoma

Do you mean on how the vocal flow? If you mean that, I have to say I noticed it too. Sometimes its pretty damn glaring to the point that I have to say that Cantonese isn't much of a singing language. Its like a smooth-cut, smooth-cut rapidly one after another. However most of the time its not that bad. Not sure how non-Cantonese people feel though.

A Cantonese song (Same folks as my first two videos in this page) and a Japanese song for rough comparison since MTH is quite something. I really haven't notice much snags with Japanese singing. Japanese just really flows. Hell, Mandarin flows better than Cantonese does.

Also, this MTH video really tripped me up. Its odd hearing them singing like that for the first half, which is like a good deal how most Japanese/Asain songs can sound.

Last note: I also have no idea what the Cantonese folks are singing about 75% of the time. Even my mom has some trouble and she is far better than me in Cantonese. When I listen to music, I really go off how they "feel" if I don't understand the song. They could be singing about the worst stuff imaginable but if it sound and feels good, I will like.

Edited by MaliciousH

I meant how the proper pronunciation of words in Cantonese includes the use of tones on each syllable, but to me a lot of Cantonese music seems to deliver the words with a flat tone or override it with the musical notes. I was just wondering if it was just too subtle for me to pick up on, or if maybe the meanings were just derived from the context each word was used in.

And yeah, Japanese... Tone counts for something, but it's really not integral to the meaning, and you're guaranteed to have lots of vowels since in addition to the 5 standalone ones - all but one sound are tied to vowels automatically. I think that'd lend it well to lyrics. I actually wasn't thinking about how each language flowed... Cantonese often sounds fairly clipped, but that can make some good clear rhythms too.

(lol... The start of that MTH video threw me. I was thinking "WTH? They didn't go pop... that makes no sense...")

Edited by fuchikoma

@fuchi

Ah, okay. I feel it would be from context more than anything. In everyday chitchat different dialects/accents can throw people off. So context can help to avoid confusion. I would think it be the same in songs.

I think I had my fill of Chinese songs for a bit after this post.