Playstation VR

CorgiShinobi

Sony's Prototype to Virtual Reality

Not much else to discuss other than "it's happening now." I mean, there have always been the rumors that Sony has been wanting to do VR, and now it's here after all those years. It's suppose to seamlessly function with all the PS4 accessories for a more immerse experience.

You know, I'm still not sure where I stand on the VR stuff. It's definitely something I'd have to try first for myself before nearing the excitement levels others have for Oculus Rift and now "Morpheus."

I've used Oculus but didn't actually get to play anything with it. The early prototype is a "wow" experience at first but it's not a life changing experience. I think Crystal Cove should really improve it a lot and that's what Sony needs to compete with and not the current dev units.

So anyways are they actually going to reveal anything more than the briefest of specs this week? Oculus isn't close to market yet but we certainly know a shitload about it at least.

Sony doesn't want players to experience VR all by their lonesome either, and Project Morpheus will be able to display the game world on the television. He said specifically that it will be a traditional view that players have come to expect in games, and not the double-windowed "binocular" view that has become common in recordings of VR games.

Source.

This could be read as implying that the view through the actual headset will be stereoscopic, but you're right I haven't seen anything explicit.  I didn't even notice until you said something though, just assuming that it's stereoscopic.  Otherwise it's not VR.

"a head mounted display with 1080p resolution" makes it sound like there isn't a screen for each eye, and that if it is 3D it wouldn't be 1080o for each eye. I really want full HD injected directly into each eyeball.

Games I'd like to play in VR on PS4:
Skyrim

Fallout New Vegas

Proteus

The Unfinished Swan

Basically anything first person with interesting worlds. Give it to me now, Shuhei! 

So you want to play last-gen games with VR forced in instead of new experiences that would properly utilize the tech?

Skyrim

Fallout New Vegas

Proteus

The Unfinished Swan

Basically anything first person with interesting worlds. Give it to me now, Shuhei! 

So you want to play last-gen games with VR forced in instead of new experiences that would properly utilize the tech?

Yup. That was probably an exhaustive list of all the games ever that Cowboy will ever want to play in VR ever. It is in no way a short list indicative of the type of games that he thinks would be good in VR. I however want to play Wrath of Monagen in VR. It doesn't exist yet because I just made it up but it's gonna utilise the tech so hard!

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EvXmdBGwvI

At the very beginning of the video the guy doing the demo says "Ooh, loading screens in 3D", so it is stereoscopic.  They would do well to make that clearer though.

Edited by TheMightyEthan
  • Like 1

It looks like Sony found another way to make the Move actually useful for something.  To be fair, I kinda feel like that for Morpheus games a move and navigation controller might be better than a dualshock 4 because there would be less disconnect between what you see and what your hands are doing, making it more intuitive to use.

• Like 2

Skyrim

Fallout New Vegas

Proteus

The Unfinished Swan

Hmm... I'm reading my post and I can't find where I said I didn't want new experiences as well. If you could explain how I can be aware of games that haven't been announced yet, I'd love to know!  :rolleyes:

Skyrim

Fallout New Vegas

Proteus

The Unfinished Swan

Hmm... I'm reading my post and I can't find where I said I didn't want new experiences as well. If you could explain how I can be aware of games that haven't been announced yet, I'd love to know!  :rolleyes:

If the studio is working on putting VR into ports of their old games they're not focusing their time on incorporating it into new games instead. You're forgetting the reality of the fact that a team of people actually have to put in the time and effort to make this happen. There's no magic "port to new console with different architecture and add VR" button.

Sure, but Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD just came out the other day and Square-Enix hasn't exactly struggled to knock an MMO, and it's major revamp, three FFXIII games, and working on FFXV and also all the FF phone ports alongside bringing games to a new generation.

It's also worth noting that Sony aren't as retarded as their early PS3 days either. There's not "magic port games to new console and add VR button", but their work of building tools that allow games to come to both PS3/4 and Vita, their porting from PS2 to PS3, and 3-D toolsets I doubt they're going to be like "hey Bethesda, here's a VR headset and nothing else, have at it".

You're crazy if you think developers/publishers are just going to dive right into something new like VR without dipping their toe in first. Ports/remasters are probably what most of the VR experiences we're going to get at first. Especially with the lack of backwards compatibility, there will be a lot of last-gen games getting ported to PS4 anyways, so it only makes sense to add VR to these releases to see how it does.

• 5 months later...