Games You've Bought 2014

TheMightyEthan

cVVVU3V.jpgnLzWe0e.jpg

Both for "free". I had accumulated almost 30 bucks in GMG credit from the Playfire Rewards beta. Grabbed Dragonfall yesterday and today there's finally a new voucher that can be combined with credit again so I was able to bring the price of Strider down just enough to grab it with what I had left.

I kinda had to search for a bit before I could find anything, though. Strider wasn't exactly my first pick. I feel like the selection on GMG has gone a bit to shit. I was initially planning on using my credit for Killer is Dead and Transistor but the latter never showed up and apparently all the Deep Silver games are gone from GMG. That includes KiD, Saints Row, Dead Island and Red Faction... And after searching around a bit, I feel like they might not be the only ones. Not sure what happened there...

GMG in general isn't what it used to be, to be honest. Vouchers now tend to be very restricted and usually can't be combined with store credit. And the credit rewards from pre-orders are borderline insulting at times. I mean, what the fuck am I supposed to do with 10 fucking cents? At that point, you might as well not even bother. It's a shame, really. For a while there they were the best Steam competitor in terms of prices, especially on pre-orders.

Ones I would want:

ME1: BDtS, though both the DLCs come with the trilogy so it doesn't matter. ($0)

ME2: Zaeed (free on Cerberus Network), Kasumi ($7), LotSB ($10), Arrival ($7)

ME3: From Ashes ($10), Leviathan ($10), Citadel ($15), Omega ($15)

Grand Total: $74.  Fucking ridiculous.

I never noticed, but MGS GZ and Tomb Raider are pretty much at each end of the spectrum.

First and foremost, GZ is really short. If you're just going to run through the story and not experiment with the mechanics, collect trophies, or not do any of the optional missions, don't even bother buying it. Just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. That being said, GZ is ridiculous deep gameplay wise, especially compared to Tomb Raider. Another sad fact is that this one hour game somehow has more story than Tomb Raider. A better one at that. Tomb Raider fell on it's face when it came to writing. You cant even make fun of it because there's almost nothing there.

It does have a pretty cool plot though. I liked the premise of it. It's also a really fun game. And it also looks better than GZ and its a hell of a lot longer.

I know it seems like Im dumping on TR, but Id say theyre both good games give or take. In the end it depends on whether you want a long game or a short game.

Another sad fact is that this one hour game somehow has more story than Tomb Raider. A better one at that. Tomb Raider fell on it's face when it came to writing. You cant even make fun of it because there's almost nothing there.

What the fuck are you smoking, man? Say what you will about the quality of Tomb Raider's plot but at least it has a complete story. Ground Zeroes is nothing more than a prologue for Phantom Pain. It literally has no plot whatsoever. Not only is there less that happens in it than there was in MGS2's Tanker mission, there's also less story overall (i.e. dialogue, characters introduced, events set in motion, etc..). The Tanker at least acted as a proper prologue to the Big Shell chapter. GZ is nowhere near as meaty, it feels more like a cold open...

@RobDaCool: Unless you're an hardcore MGS fanboy, try to get it as cheap as you can get. I'd describe myself as just that and even I borderline regretted the 20 bucks I spent on it. If it wasn't for what little added playtime the collectibles and side ops provide, it would literally be a 30$ demo.

• Like 1

Camel Lights.

And I don't see it that way at all. Even as an origin story, TR doesnt do much either. Compare that origin story to BB's origin story in MGS3 and it's almost nonexistent.

GZ was never meant to be a "complete" story, it's a prologue that sets up The Phantom Pain, and it does just as good a job as the Tanker Mission in MGS2. The big things that happen in the tanker mission are the reveal of Ray, finding out Liquid Snake is still "alive", and the reason why The Big Shell even exists. You don't get anything more significant than that in relation to the main game. All the good stuff happens in Raiden's part.

As for GZ, a lot of stuff happens.

You rescue one of the main characters from Peace Walker, another one dies, Motherbase gets destroyed and you find out how BB got in a coma. All that stuff is really important to the timeline.

I will agree that $30 is a ripoff. Id wait for it to be $15 or less. As for TR, Id pay no more than $40 for it if youve never played it before.

Edited by Strangelove

Camel Lights.

Lol.

And I don't see it that way at all. Even as an origin story, TR doesnt do much either. Compare that origin story to BB's origin story in MGS3 and it's almost nonexistent.

Like I said, say what you will about its quality. I don't really feel the need to defend it in that regard. But it is more substantial than what's in GZ. Saying that GZ has a better story is kind of insane because it doesn't have one.

GZ was never meant to be a "complete" story, it's a prologue that sets up The Phantom Pain, and it does just as good a job as the Tanker Mission in MGS2. The big things that happen in the tanker mission are the reveal of Ray, finding out Liquid Snake is still "alive", and the reason why The Big Shell even exists. You don't get anything more significant than that in relation to the main game. All the good stuff happens in Raiden's part.

As for GZ, a lot of stuff happens.

You rescue one of the main characters from Peace Walker, another one dies, Motherbase gets destroyed and you find out how BB got in a coma. All that stuff is really important to the timeline.

Those are the big payoffs but it does more than just lead up to them. And at least there is a build up to those events, they don't just kind of happen. There's a substantial amount of dialogue between Snake and Otacon that establishes a lot of the backstory and exposition. Which is a hell of a lot better than having to track down cassettes all over the map. If it's an optional collectible, then it doesn't count as the main story. There's also the introduction of a few elements that aren't immediately important, such as Olga and Gurlukovich's army. Basically, it's a real prologue. It introduces and sets into motion a lot of characters and events that play a key part later on.

As for the spoilered stuff, sure but like I said, there's no build-up whatsoever. These things just kind of happen and feel so rushed that there was very little impact to them. You get a short intro cutscene, an hour-ish (on a first run, mind you) of gameplay, and then a slightly longer cutscene. That's it. I mean, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it if it had just been the first hour of Phantom Pain. But as a standalone release, and one that they had the gall of charging 30 bucks for, it's fucking nothing.