Games You've Bought 2014

TheMightyEthan

studyinemerald.jpg

These go here, right?

Firstly, I'll admit that I had no idea who Martin Wallace was (having read up, sounds like a p cool guy) and I haven't read as much Gaiman as I probably should have (next to none) but how can you resist Sherlock Holmes meets Cthulhu?

Saw mention of this game, and the premise alone had me intrigued, then I discovered that it is some crazy hybrid game with hidden identities, deck-building, territory control, assassination, zombies, vampires, double agents... and it has been described with the phrase, "If you think you understand this after a few games... you don't understand it." :P

Reading up on all the crazy outcomes and weird situations thrown out by the game is a lot of fun. The fact that one side is against the 'secret eldritch horrors disguised as royalty' and the other isn't, yet the teams won't necessarily be balanced, nor is it a 'team victory' game (in fact, if someone on your side has the fewest VPs, you are discounted as a potential winner) just makes it all the more enticing.

Plus, it's no longer available in the EU (and $80 in the US), nor is it supposed to be until next year, so when I saw it for a reasonable price on eBay (used but actually unplayed, cards still shrinkwrapped) I jumped at it.

Edited by Hot Heart
  • Like 2

studyinemerald.jpg

These go here, right?

Saw mention of this game, and the premise along had me intrigued, then I discovered that it is some crazy hybrid game with hidden identities, deck-building, territory control, assassination, zombies, vampires, double agents...

I must own this. I must.

Played Betrayal at House on the Hill? Sounds similar but probably a lot less "lite".

Someone better make a boardgame thread up in here.

• Like 1

I must own this. I must.

Played Betrayal at House on the Hill? Sounds similar but probably a lot less "lite".

Someone better make a boardgame thread up in here.

I am pretty excited about it. Not sure how the hell I'm going to be able to teach it, but I am eager to see the chaos that unfolds anyway.

I've not played Betrayal, actually, although one friend does own it. I think their verdict was that it can be highly unbalanced depending on one crucial factor and probably won't touch it ever again. I didn't get to play Last Night on Earth because I think they felt that was also somewhat one-sided.

What I tend to favour in most games is having all those options. Study in Emerald seems to go with that but add in a lot of potential for things to go completely tits up. If you're a Restorationist (anti-Eldritch) you'll want to assassinate royalty and advance the  'Revolution track' but that can give away your identity, or send you mad and force you to reveal your identity, making you the target of any Loyalist. Otherwise, you can try and keep hold of cities and get some other cards that work as multipliers. Or if you think you're a powerful enough Loyalist, you can go all out with zombies or vampires or Yog Sothoth.

I think the coolest sounding thing, though, is that necessity of making sure someone on your team isn't last, because one of the options in the game is to reveal your identity as long as it will take you over the threshold for winning the game (e.g. if you reveal yourself as a Restorationist, your 'potential' points for assassinations become actual points and put you over the mark). In other words, it's not necessarily about gathering the most victory points flat out, but knowing the optimal time to try and end the game.

...but you might misjudge who's really on your team, or that last place player who no one's really sure of, can actually use that position to close a gap and then jump ahead at the right moment.

You're making my head hurt, Cowboy...

edit: oh and

hBw5pzm.jpg

M6OTTeC.jpg

ExEPeMo.jpg

And to think I went into this one thinking I wouldn't buy much. I should know better by now...

Oh well, I was gonna spend that money on some Vita games anyway. This is good, too.

Edited by FLD

You're making my head hurt, Cowboy...

edit: oh and

hBw5pzm.jpg

M6OTTeC.jpg

ExEPeMo.jpg

And to think I went into this one thinking I wouldn't buy much. I should know better by now...

Oh well, I was gonna spend that money on some Vita games anyway. This is good, too.

You might want to hold off on playing Route Zero until they've finished all of the chapters. It was about a 9 month gap between 2 and 3, and I've totally lost the thread.