The Trailer Thread

TheForgetfulBrain

Maybe. I'm not sure it's supposed to be an out and out funny film (even though the trailer mentions it's from the producers of Shaun of the Dead) but maybe a mixture of a few different elements you might see in other films of its ilk while being aimed at a younger audience. If that makes any sense...

The closest comparison I could make is that Charlie Brooker's Dead Set was not funny, like some might have expected (nor was it that good anyway), because he was aiming to tell a story rather than gags.

Edited by Hot Heart

Maybe. I'm not sure it's supposed to be an out and out funny film (even though the trailer mentions it's from the producers of Shaun of the Dead) but maybe a mixture of a few different elements you might see in other films of its ilk while being aimed at a younger audience. If that makes any sense...

The closest comparison I could make is that Charlie Brooker's Dead Set was not funny, like some might have expected (nor was it that good anyway), because he was aiming to tell a story rather than gags.

Dead Set was really good satire but it wasn't aiming for flat out lols. I was presuming this would be a comedy because it's written by Joe Cornish and the premise just seems like they're going for laughs, but to be fair apart from watching a few episodes of Adam & Joe I don't know much about Joe so it's entirely possible that he's going for the Dead Set style satire where it's played straight rather than say Brass Eye absurd satire or outright comedy like Shaun of the Dead.

I hope this is making sense, because I'm a teeny bit drunk. Sorry if it doesn't.

Edited by withoutphallus

Yeah, considering it's Joe Cornish you might expect it to be funny and I'm sure it'll have some laughs but I still think it's aiming for a young audience so might not be that clever in its humour. I could be wrong.

I wasn't expecting Dead Set to be a comedy but I was hoping for something a bit sharper than a British, played-straight rehash of zombie film tropes and satire (nor would I have wanted to see something like Shaun of the Dead). Something akin to the 'sketches' Mr. Brooker is currently doing on his new BBC series (or had occasionally done on Screenwipe proper).

Well make a new Pixar movie, or another film with animals and that funny face.

Cars just feels like they wanted to do a spy movie, but not confident enough so rode it off into Cars. Ooorrrr because, as I remembered while writing last sentence, Cars is still one of their more commercially successful films in merchandising n branding so just want to keep it's name up.

Kung Fu Panda I really liked, so maybe it's just a fan thing of not wanting the sequel to (inevitably) tarnish the first.

Jobs keep people employed. Movies like these keep kids happy and hey these movies will be part of the day and date home-viewing rollout that is set to happen.

What I mean is that not all families can afford to go to the cinemas and for huge families there's a lot of logistics. Four studios have already started to work on day and date digital streaming of these movies at the price of 2 adult tickets. These movies would fit that market. At least I'm glad that to an extent some of the cross-platform ideas are dead because now I can work on some other ideas for a change :).

Edit: I think one of the better Disney movies this year will the Winnie the Pooh movie since it's pretty much created in the vein of the old movie.

Edited by WTF

I have absolutely no problem with Cars 2. Sure we all love Pixar for making films that are mature and intelligent, and maybe Cars didn't quite achieve the same standard of excellence achieved by the other Pixar films, but kids clearly loved it and if I remember it was a pet project of Lasseter's. It's still miles form the 'any-old-crap-will-do' approach taken with most kids entertainment these days.

Besides I'm sure Disney will be much more comfortable with Pixar making an out-there original work once the inevitably huge profits from Cars 2 have padded their wallets.

Looks very old-school Spielberg. (guess the producer)

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in that movie at all. Spielberg has tried to sell us "the E.T. experience" so many times over the last ten years, and it's really played out for me.

I loved E.T. and I love Abrams' work too, but I remain very skeptical.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright...

Smurfs: Part of my childhood is dead.

Super 8: Uh, Goonies meets Cloverfield?

Greatest, etc: I would be interested in this, what with being an Advertising major, so long as the entire thing isn't dedicated to ripping on the business. I mean, there are agencies that need to get their act together, but it's not like the entire practice is some hell spawn.

Your Highness: Looks better than any *Insert Genre* Movie and such ilk. Still not entirely interested though. :P

TR3N: Master Control Program?!

True Legend: Oh yeah!

Call me a man-child, but I wouldn't mind seeing this in theaters. I mean, Winnie the Pooh was actually a part of my childhood. The characters are iconic, and I do believe that the book (and series) is perhaps one of the best children's stories due to its imagination and use of breaking the fourth wall.

Sometimes you forget that these animals are really just stuffed toys. Originally, they were characters in stories within the story of Winnie the Pooh, and that Christopher Robin and Winnie have a deep rooted friendship.