The Trailer Thread

TheForgetfulBrain

Hmm as much as I'd hate to support Disney's franchise milking ways, seeing The Lion King at the cinema would be good...

I'm not entirely sure what part of the world you're from, but a 3D ticket costs $15 here. $15 to see a dimmer version of a movie everyone probably owns on VHS or DVD. The only significant part about that date for me is that they'll be re-releasing it on Blu-Ray, and it looks like they've cleaned up the visuals for the occasion.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure! Sony licensed the rights to Spider-man from Marvel a while ago to make spider-man cartoons (IIRC; might be a different company) and movies. Marvel was bought by Disney in 2006 or so. Disney wants the rights back. Part of the original agreement stipulated that if Sony were not to make use of spider-man, the rights would revert to Marvel or its successor (in this case, Disney). So Sony has to use it or lose it, so to say. Same with Fox vis a vis X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Edited by Mr. GOH!
  • Like 2

Why would it be dimmer? And you're right, I do have it on VHS, which is why I've never seen it in HD.

Each lens in 3D glasses filters out a different wavelength of light; it's why the image looks blurry without glasses. And when you filter out light, shit gets dimmer.

That does seem to make sense, but I was under the impression it was different polarisations, not different wavelengths that were being blocked out. (Well with RealD or whatever they call modern 3D, obviously red/blue 3D is different wavelengths). Each eye is basically receiving a different projection with a different polarisation right? It's going to be brighter with the glasses off because you're receiving both projections at once but even with the glasses on is each individual projection not going to be as bright as a normal film?

Edit: Decided to be less lazy and actually do some research for myself, apparently the polarising lens in the projector is the problem, which makes perfect sense. Is it possible to have a light source that only provides light polarised in a single direction?

Edited by Mr W Phallus

• 2 weeks later...

The sound was the big killer. The music was something you'd expect for an action film, the reverse cymbal in between each fade out was bad, then a sudden random change to slow pop music you get in prom dance scenes towards the end. We were generally encouraged to submit work with no sound at all as it was usually extremely bad. Especially when students discover the sound library :P

The acting of most of the cast being worse than a limp fart didn't help at all either. It's like they're acting serious business, but it's clear the lines are meant to be funny. And the only thing that got halfway their was the KISS part.

So a double dose since I just come back from the cinema

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9RIKbKpIo

tbh this one didn't look like it would be that great, just your average sci-fi action thriller. But it does look like it could be pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2IULuYDKHM

This one however I know the existence of, but was my first time seeing a trailer. When it opened up my first thought was "Assasincs creed the movie". And it looks like it could potentially fit. My only issue would be Orlando Bloom. He has a habit of sucking outside of anything alongside John Rhys-Davies to play off.

Confused feelings about this one. I've seen the play version of this and it was hands down scarier than any film I've ever seen (I know I wouldn't have believed it either). The trailer itself is decent and fairly spooky. The biggest worry, of course, is Radcliffe. Can he shake off the associations with Harry Potter? Has he learnt to act? Luckily horror films don't tend to lean too heavily on dialogue spoken by the protagonist, so all he needs to do really is master walking with trepidation through dark houses.

I hope they do the source material justice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...