The Witness

TCP

WYEE7mD.jpg
Here be the main Witness thread for this message board. I figured it might be nice getting some help with individual puzzles without having to look up a walk through or YouTube videos etc, where you could be potentially spoiled the answer for later things.

So, my question is, what the hell am I trying to do with these sorts of puzzles? I understood the simple versions, but some of the later versions, I'm totally confused by. Maybe I'm just tired. Swamp area spoilers (but nothing major/crazy):

sEFDVJ3.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, last night I reached a point where I'm having trouble finding puzzles I actually have some clue of how to solve.

Also, totally jinxed myself and was only about to play for about an hour before I had to quit due to motion sickness.  Tonight I'm going to try sitting farther back from the TV (I usually sit pretty close, and I did move back last night but only after I started feeling sick and it wasn't enough) and if that fails I think I'm going to stick a little paper dot to the center of the screen as a reticle.

• Like 1

So, my question is, what the hell am I trying to do with these sorts of puzzles? I understood the simple versions, but some of the later versions, I'm totally confused by. Maybe I'm just tired. Swamp area spoilers (but nothing major/crazy):

sEFDVJ3.jpg

The trick here is that

pieces don't have to be placed exactly on the tile where they are shown, you can move them around so long as they are still connected (i.e. in the same space). So, that last one should be:

jMItBHR.png

with the four-square on the upper left and the three-line at the bottom.

This is the mechanic that took me by far the longest to completely figure out so far. Get used to those, btw. I finished the swamp last night and there were a few tough ones. Pro tip: this is my evening from last night in a nutshell:

MZS9rZE.jpg

I suggest doing the same.

Yeah, last night I reached a point where I'm having trouble finding puzzles I actually have some clue of how to solve.

The main problem is that you can get through some tutorials without really understanding why what you did worked. A good rule of thumb is that if you start having trouble finding puzzles you can solve, especially if they introduce a new mechanic, then go somewhere else. The island is pretty well designed visually, most areas have a very different and distinct look. Go find some new place you haven't been to yet. There's almost certainly going to be a tutorial in there.

Edited by FLD
  • Like 2

Yeah, it's much easier to play around with little paper cutouts than it is to try and visualize everything in your head.

So, (not really a spoiler, more of a progression indicator, but tagging it just in case)

how many lasers have you guys activated so far? I activated my sixth one last night, I think.

I'm at 9 or 10 now but I stopped there because I had somehow missed that you don't need them all to go trigger the end stuff. So, given what I posted above, I said fuck it and went to activate the stuff at the top of the mountain. Haven't finished it yet, though. But yeah, I'll just get the ending, reload a previous save and go back to doing all the missing puzzles.

Edited by FLD

But don't you dare bring any of that spoiler crap around here or I'll come to Quebec, track down everyone who has the initials of FLD, and kill them.

Well, now I kinda wanna see that go down... Especially since, you know, those aren't my initials. :P

Sure thing, Fabrizius Louis Dubois. 

I'm on three beacons, the Monastery, Symmetry, and Shady Trees.

The Witness

My main thought is:

wut?

Hahaha, yeah. I'm guessing that spoiler I ran into must've been either bullshit or related to some secret stuff because fucking lol at that ending sequence. 

There's a pretty challenging and sizeable secret area right near the end. I will explain.

At the top of the mountain, there's the box you open to create the puzzle with the two guys standing on, which creates the stairs down. Now, go down the stairs and look up at the box. There's more to "open" to it. Proceed through the end area till you find the statue of the one person with a tile. The tile is now lit up, solve that tile and a hidden door opens. There's a bunch of puzzles in this new area. Proceed through it (you don't need to solve everything you see till you get till you get to a pillar) and you end up in this grotto area with a timed music box and some random puzzles.

Cool, I'll have to check that out. I wanna keep playing and try to solve everything but I'm gonna have to shelve the game for now. Got a big prog assignment to finish up this week, so what little gaming time I'll have I'd rather spend trying to finish Resident Evil 0 before friday. Because friday is XCOM day!

Edited by FLD

There's a pretty challenging and sizeable secret area right near the end. I will explain.

At the top of the mountain, there's the box you open to create the puzzle with the two guys standing on, which creates the stairs down. Now, go down the stairs and look up at the box. There's more to "open" to it. Proceed through the end area till you find the statue of the one person with a tile. The tile is now lit up, solve that tile and a hidden door opens. There's a bunch of puzzles in this new area. Proceed through it (you don't need to solve everything you see till you get till you get to a pillar) and you end up in this grotto area with a timed music box and some random puzzles.

I know

I solved all of those puzzles except for the random ones timed by the record player (and I solved half of those 3 times before I gave up trying to get through them all).  So that's included in my 17.5 hours.

What was the spoiler??

Well, it was two things.

The first was a couple of environmental puzzles in the very first area, before turning off the force field. That one wasn't so bad because by then I had already noticed that the line symbol was all over the place and I had thought to click on one, so I already knew there was more to the game than just the panels. One of them would've kinda blown my mind if I'd found it on my own, though.

The other one was just a description of a cutscene that starts with someone waking up. It sounds like the game has a bunch of hidden endings, so I'm assuming it was from one of those. Could've been complete bullshit, though. 

Re environment:

I've seen shit loads of things in the environment that looked like line puzzles, but I assumed they weren't really, that it was just carrying a visual theme, because the two I tried to click on wouldn't register.  Are you telling me that at least some of them really are line puzzles?!

FWIW: Even though this game was significantly shorter than I would have hoped for, I still feel I got my $40 worth out if it, and then some.

Also I could totally see this being the kind of game that in a few months/years/whenever from now, people will still be discovering major secrets.

Edited by The Cowboy Poet
  • Like 2

Re environment:

I've seen shit loads of things in the environment that looked like line puzzles, but I assumed they weren't really, that it was just carrying a visual theme, because the two I tried to click on wouldn't register.  Are you telling me that at least some of them really are line puzzles?!

Lol, yeah. And I think it's not just some but all of them. You just need to be lined up properly for them to register. Sometimes when you're close but not quite, you'll get little sparks when you click on the circle but it won't "connect".

A dead giveaway is at the top of the mountain. There's a seemingly useless panel facing the rest of the island with a single squiggly line on it and right in front of it, at the bottom of the mountain, there's a river in the exact same shape. That was the first one I thought to click on.

• Like 1