The Witcher

deanb

Didn't realise that the options you picked when talking to the guy in the dungeon determined whether you got the Tutorial first or not :/

Elaborate on this.

Also, I'd suggest actually playing through the game on Easy first so you can unlock all the skills and get a feel for how they work. I started a new game on Normal and the combat seems much more easier once you understand how it works. Doesn't change the fact that it hurts like hell when you mess up, though.

Guy goes "So tell me what happened". Now I'm used to Witcher not bothering too much on the whole click em each in order, and in fact I'm more used to it having a go at me by pissing off dwarfs if I do just mindlessly click em. So when the guy asks "What happened" I didn't realise or have any indication that you're meant to play through the options in order. So I started with "Then the Dragon arrived" Instead of "in the morning.."

Also fuck having to meditate to take potions.

tbh if I was to pick between the plodding n slow start of Witcher versus the harsh n brutal start of Witcher 2, well there's a reason I make a habit of going for RPGs instead of action games.

(I did like that quests popped up as you explored)

Bear in mind that I haven't played Dragon Age II, but from what people have told me of it, it seems like The Witcher 2 is what Dragon Age II should have been shooting for. It made the combat more action-oriented and streamlined some of the tedious bits, without sacrificing the depth and complexity of the game.

I should also say that I've been playing this game entirely on a 360 controller. The combat like a perfect fit for the gamepad.

Wow, PC Gamer really didn't like the ending. It says that it's one of the only two things that kept the game from being the best RPG ever made.

Edited by DukeOfPwn

So I've recently discovered that while I had changed it to Easy, the setting didn't stick. So now I've changed it to easy and made sure it stuck and the game is going much more smoothly now.

I think it needs a bit of polish in it's user-friendliness. It really does assume you've played the first one. I had to just stand about n blast off all my Signs so I could actually get the journal entries that would tell you what each does (In my first one I'm not all the way through them, nor did I use them too often). The visuals are great, though I disprove of the cartoon cut-scenes. The lighting at nice is really nice.

Picking up items/search needs to be more acurate, I see what Johnny says about the targeting.

Also I finally found the Alt power. It's R3 on the 360 pad and fuck me is it a lot better looking affect than what the first had.

I'd say Witcher 2 feels very much a different game. Almost the same as Portal n Portal 2, but even more so. New engine, and a new Geralt. Part of what I liked on the last one was you were kind of incidental character. But now you're the kings bodyguard. It's moved a bit too much toward "saviour of the universe" cliche most RPG's fall in to.

@Dean: You didn't have to pick them in order, Dean. I died twice, and started over. Then I picked them out of order and it still let me watch them all.

@Duke: Fuck the ending. God, what a... UGH.

@Johnny: I really can't say I had any of those problems. Though being attacked from behind does do 200% damage.

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

Hopefully the latest update allows you to change key bindings. I did have some trouble with use and attack being bound to the same key.

Maybe you're right about the lack of user-friendliness, Dean. It doesn't really explain many things. I did have to ask about mutagens. Aside from that, most everything was picked up from the first game. For me, it just got better and better as the game progressed, though. Combat came together in ways I didn't expect it to once I'd customized my character more.

Though all this means nearly zilch when contrasted with the ending. IM GOING TO HARP ON THIS FOR FUCKING EVER!

*shrug* If you don't like it, don't force yourself through it.

I found myself biting my lip at times during the beginning skirmishes. Looking back, I'm glad they were there. The game didn't open with shitty one-hit-kill rats in basements. There's a learning curve here, and it's apparent. It's not because it's a bad system, though. It's because it takes(for me) time to wrap yourself around its contours and wield it in a way that both works and suits you.

Well, on the "hard" difficulty. I'm not sure if it's rats in basements easy on the lower settings.

I'd advise you play up to the very end of the game and turn it off. Imagine a good ending. Because it won't be that.

The thing is, I WANT to like it because I'm sure the writing will be good just like in the first game... But so far the combat has just been simultaneously mindless and frustrating. Maybe it gets better later on, but I'm running out of reasons to keep going and I'm still at the very start of the game.

Have you been playing with a controller? I've been exclusively using my 360 gamepad, and combat has worked wonderfully for me.

*shrug* If you don't like it, don't force yourself through it.

I found myself biting my lip at times during the beginning skirmishes. Looking back, I'm glad they were there. The game didn't open with shitty one-hit-kill rats in basements. There's a learning curve here, and it's apparent. It's not because it's a bad system, though. It's because it takes(for me) time to wrap yourself around its contours and wield it in a way that both works and suits you.

Well, on the "hard" difficulty. I'm not sure if it's rats in basements easy on the lower settings.

I'd advise you play up to the very end of the game and turn it off. Imagine a good ending. Because it won't be that.

What I really want to know is what the fuck they were on about when they talked about 16 endings. I'm not even sure if that is possible with the game. But they're giving out that "16 endings" shirt to the first person who accomplishes it, so who knows?

Edited by DukeOfPwn

"We like to say we have 16 states of the world that you have at the end of The Witcher 2. It's not like 16 different cut-scenes. The last chapter, there is a big summary of what you have accomplished in the game. You will get that. You will see results of some early choices from hours of gameplay past.

"There are of course two or three huge differences. But there is a bunch of... I don't like to call them small because sometimes there is a country on the map and sometimes this country is not on the map. But in the scale of The Witcher, sometimes these are the smaller consequences."

Source

I'm sure there are different reasons why people disliked the ending(s). Mine probably seems trivial, but it's the reason why I play video games, dammit. It's onerous and usually impossible for me to form connections with people irl. Video games are a different story. But fuck, why place so much emphasis(or give the option to do so) on an emotional connection and then shed it at the end of the game?

"We like to say we have 16 states of the world that you have at the end of The Witcher 2. It's not like 16 different cut-scenes. The last chapter, there is a big summary of what you have accomplished in the game. You will get that. You will see results of some early choices from hours of gameplay past.

"There are of course two or three huge differences. But there is a bunch of... I don't like to call them small because sometimes there is a country on the map and sometimes this country is not on the map. But in the scale of The Witcher, sometimes these are the smaller consequences."

Source

I'm sure there are different reasons why people disliked the ending(s). Mine probably seems trivial, but it's the reason why I play video games, dammit. It's onerous and usually impossible for me to form connections with people irl. Video games are a different story. But fuck, why place so much emphasis(or give the option to do so) on an emotional connection and then shed it at the end of the game?

I think the main problems I had with the ending (spoiler free) were:

A: It made the game feel like it was cut off halfway through. Like there was some sort of final act missing.

B: There are multiple threads that are unceremoniously abandoned. It's almost like when a TV show pulls a ret-con, removing a character or a question they had previously used to bait viewers to continue watching.

C: I felt like the effects of my choices were subdued heavily. It's not like the first game, where you really get some time to soak in the mistake/fortunate deed you made. It's pretty much "Well, you made this choice, and this is what happened. I'd love to stick and chat, but I've got somewhere better to be."

"We like to say we have 16 states of the world that you have at the end of The Witcher 2. It's not like 16 different cut-scenes. The last chapter, there is a big summary of what you have accomplished in the game. You will get that. You will see results of some early choices from hours of gameplay past."

What summary? The ending did not feel like a "big summary" of everything I'd did.

And then again they have to pull the goddamn Yennefer crap. She's so much damn trouble that I would easily would have dropped her in favor of Triss (which I did).

I think the main problems I had with the ending (spoiler free) were:

A: It made the game feel like it was cut off halfway through. Like there was some sort of final act missing.

B: There are multiple threads that are unceremoniously abandoned. It's almost like when a TV show pulls a ret-con, removing a character or a question they had previously used to bait viewers to continue watching.

C: I felt like the effects of my choices were subdued heavily. It's not like the first game, where you really get some time to soak in the mistake/fortunate deed you made. It's pretty much "Well, you made this choice, and this is what happened. I'd love to stick and chat, but I've got somewhere better to be."

Yep, pretty much all that. Especially the first point. I'm not sure if they were trying to go with the flow of the novels or something, but they definitely screwed up at the end there. It just felt empty and unsatisfying for an ending. Even DA2 had some sort of closure at the end.

Just slammed into a brick wall named "The Beast" in The (first) Witcher. Arrrrrg.

Apparently a lot of people had trouble with this boss. I never understood it, I always just breezed past him. There were a few other bosses that gave me trouble, though. Just focus all your attacks on the Beast itself, and if you've upgraded your steel sword abilities, you should be fine. Throw an Aard sign in there occasionally, too. What specifically are you having trouble with?

So, I just started The Witcher (1). Hopefully I can get into it more than... Dragon Age*. So far, the UI is interesting and my only grips with it so far only has to do with things on my end, I think. I will have to make sure its on my end since some of the cutscenes just looks and act... funny.

*Not like its a bad game but it failed to hold my interest when other games or things came up. I'll get back to it and I may restart for a fresh start. Maybe I should stop starting games with mindlessly silly starting characters... I started with a dwarf.

Edited by MaliciousH

Just slammed into a brick wall named "The Beast" in The (first) Witcher. Arrrrrg.

Apparently a lot of people had trouble with this boss. I never understood it, I always just breezed past him. There were a few other bosses that gave me trouble, though. Just focus all your attacks on the Beast itself, and if you've upgraded your steel sword abilities, you should be fine. Throw an Aard sign in there occasionally, too. What specifically are you having trouble with?

I only tried it a few times but I was overwhelmed by all those doggies. I'll try again tonight with your advice, and I do have a good number of steel sword upgrades.