The Witcher

deanb

http://www.en.thewit...unity/entry/35/

The first update patch strips the DRM from all versions as promised. Even if you dislike the gameplay you must surely love every other element of the game?

Oh it supposedly includes a 30% performance boost.

Grab it here:

http://en.thewitcher.com/patch/

edit: And supposedly with Patch 1.1 you can now install all the pre-order DLC, so load up:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/so_i_heard_you_like_free_dlc_all_of_them_here_for_free_legally

Kieron Gillen just piped up about it too.

https://twitter.com/#!/kierongillen/status/73869820185153536

http://twitter.com/kierongillen/statuses/73871452037853184

I've had it with other games too. I think it's some fuck up on the publishers end where they've pushed the wrong button. Given that Steam I think are the ones who foot the bandwidth bill they may step in and point out how to do it right.

I'd not heard of these. Anyone able to confirm them?

Other Abilities

Aside from the skills Geralt can spec into, the Witcher has access to a number of special unlockable skills that he can acquire throughout the early portions of the game. While none of these are vital, they are definitely handy to have.

Cover

If you stay under Triss' spell shield during the flight to Flotsam in early chapter 1, Geralt gains a damage reduction bonus for the rest of the game.

Strong Back (Untested)

Apparently if you collect a lot of loot whilst sneaking out of the dungeon during the prologue you can receive the Strong Back perk, giving Geralt an additional 50lbs weight allowance.

Conjuror

If you're planning on using magic at all this one is all but vital. It can be unlocked by killing enemies with more than one sign during the prologue, or by speaking to all of the contacts for the Kayran quest in chapter 1. Once unlocked, Conjuror gives you a permanent +3 to sign damage.

Does not work at all with a 360 pad. I still haven't remembered to go n put in a bug report yet.

On top of that, the menus aren't even usable with the thumbstick anymore post-1.1 patch. Now I'm stuck using the damn d-pad to select things. It's freaking annoying when I try to switch between signs because pre-patch, I just used the thumbstick to do it. Using the d-pad for menu navigation is annoying. :(

They're a complete surprise, Hot Heart. It's pretty nifty, because you're like "WHOOP WHAT'S THIS!?" when you run in them. The easiest to get is Assassin.

You simply walk over to the dead "Ezio" corpse in the prologue(behind the trebuchet).

Dean, I'm just going to assume it was intentionally crippled. HO HO HO.

Post your ploughin' builds. I'm curious to see what everyone is working with. I take .PNGs 'cause I'm a ploughin' boss. Screw your compression.

witcher2%202011-05-30%2017-40-22-37.png

witcher2%202011-05-30%2018-22-09-13.png

witcher2%202011-05-30%2018-22-36-04.png

witcher2%202011-05-30%2018-22-44-16.png

witcher2%202011-05-30%2018-23-06-09.png

witcher2%202011-05-30%2018-24-01-89.png

As you can see, I put nothing into Alchemy.

*Points to resistance to incineration* Dragon healed me. Lawls.

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

I haven't had any issues with loading when I'm not streaming(at which point it takes forever). Running a Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz, 6GB RAM, GTX 460 1GB. I also haven't tried the new patch yet.

Edit: I should say I'm running at near max to max settings. Have you tried lowering anything or closing background programs? Scanning? The usual?

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

So, I started playing today. Quite enjoying it. Had the benefit of learning from other people's errors so combat hasn't been too bad so far; I've actually been enjoying it somewhat, which I could never say for the first game. Even did that bit the guy was struggling on on my first try. :P Only tricky bit was

with the dragon torching the bridge (and me) and getting cramped in with loads of enemies at the end. Didn't help that I possibly had the graphics settings slightly too demanding causing some stuttering.

Some thoughts

- The gamepad works quite well but the thumbsticks not working on the radial menu (and other menus) is annoying. I presume that's what the new patch broke?

- Had no idea I could even get Ayran to surrender. He seemed pretty stubborn about that. Didn't want to kill him... Changed what happened in the dungeon compared to the previews I'd seen too.

- Fucked up the stealth section and ended up having to fight a load of dudes. Didn't want to kill them...

- Loving the 'Witcher sense' thing. In the first game I kept item names on so I could see places to loot and herbs etc. and it did ruin the 'look' of the game a bit, but now you can set that off and look for orange glows.

- The music is nice but way too loud at points

- Holy shit, I have freakin' jedi mind tricks as well as Persuade/Intimidate options. :P