The Witcher

deanb

Oh yeah here's MasterDex's review of the game:

http://www.pressxordie.com/2011/06/01/review-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings/

It wasn't until he set the place on fire that I realised that the dude I'm dragging around was the guy who I got to step down earlier. Wonder how it works out if you don't make him surrender.

I had issues with the stealth too. Mainly from not being able to lock onto the torches too well.

If you kill him there's no instance of breaking the other girl out and fighting her torturers. Instead you make your way to a room to have a meeting with her and the Nilfgaard advisor guy.

I struggled with those torches too, but for the most part I either headed the wrong way first or got trapped between two patrols. Then there was the fact that I'd kept my weapon drawn and was swinging that instead of extinguishing torches...

I didn't encounter any of that because I killed him. He was just too troublesome to live.

I'm glad you guys have gotten past the "I suck at combat so combat sucks" phase, though!

2011-06-02

CD Projekt RED Working with Platige Image Studio on a New Project

CD Projekt RED, the creator of uniquely non-linear RPG experiences, announces that it has begun collaborating with Plastige Image Studio on a new project. The first result of this cooperation is a trailer directed by Oscar-nominated Tomasz Bagiński. It will be unveiled on Thursday, June 2nd during the CD Projekt Summer Conference preceding the E3 trade show in Los Angeles, CA.

“Working with Platige Image on the first Witcher game left us with a great impression. They are truly amazing; their work is clearly world-class. We are certain their video material will spice up our newest production. While a high-quality rendered movie takes a lot of work to produce and is short compared to the total gameplay time, it is very impressive, and thus adds considerably to the overall mood of the game,” said Adam Badowski, The Witcher 2 Game Director.

Tomasz Bagiński and his Platige Image group were behind cinematics for the first Witcher, which were nominated for Visual Effect Society Award.

“I am really happy to team up with CD Projekt RED again and to return to the great Witcher family. Both our companies have developed a lot over the past few years. Although our studio has worked on many interesting and major projects, I remember our participation on the first Witcher very fondly. When the opportunity arose to collaborate again, I didn’t have to think twice. The trailer we have prepared for E3 is the first fruit of our renewed cooperation,” - Said Tomasz Bagiński, Trailer Director.

Additional information is available at the recently re-launched official site, www.TheWitcher.com.

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi
  • Like 1

Am I the only person who's glad that Witcher 2 is coming to the 360? Everywhere I look it seems like people are just ruthlessly bashing the very notion. Given that the game apparently plays better with a controller and has some kind of problem that makes it finicky with a lot of PCs, I thought this would be seen as a good thing.

Patch 1.2 Notes - Available 6/3/2011

They're rolling out a new patch tomorrow. Most notably, I'm happy with this one:

The game menu now loads at a markedly accelerated pace.

The menu takes about 20-30 seconds to actually load when I pause the game. Hopefully this will change it.

And this:

Analog sticks on gamepads now work correctly in the GUI panels.

Yay, I can scroll through my menus with the analog sticks again!

Edited by Pirandello

Am I the only person who's glad that Witcher 2 is coming to the 360? Everywhere I look it seems like people are just ruthlessly bashing the very notion. Given that the game apparently plays better with a controller and has some kind of problem that makes it finicky with a lot of PCs, I thought this would be seen as a good thing.

I don't think anyone should be upset about it. More people get to experience an awesome title, it shouldn't be an excuse to bring up the whole PC versus Console thing or about how the devs are turning their back on PC bullshit

There's a strong enough precedent to be worried about the future of CD Projekt games on PC but it would be premature to start getting angry before anything actually happens that does affect the quality. I'm glad more people will have a chance to play it but I'm not certain CD Projekt will be able to keep strong PC-first support once the console money starts rolling in. We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, man, I'm so happy about those things too. Using the d-pad is a nuisance and while the menu's never taken that long for me, it is laggy.

Wat.

Only Johnny ever said he didn't really like the combat but you keep saying 'you people' and such as if everyone had been complaining.

Second queen was a doddle after all. I'd levelled up after beating the Kayran (OK, that was a bit harder), earning three talent points in the process and getting 200% dodge. As well as drinking some potions beforehand, I must have found about four Places of Power nearby too. She never stood a chance. :lol:

After using the Blue Stripes armour for so long (very handy piece of kit. Thanks, CD Projekt DLC!), I was disappointed to discover that the Kayran armour also has a hood. How am I supposed to show off those haircuts?! :P

And I have to say, I'm not really one to fuss about graphics over gameplay (fortunately, this has that too) but I keep finding myself thinking 'damn, this is pretty!'

I need to go back and play with the haircuts. I have a feeling it'll be weird.

This time, I'll side with Roche... though I never see myself doing the playthrough where you don't rescue Triss. I am many terrible things, but a love-me-not is not one of them!

And yeah, I had a much easier time with the second one. Experience and all. Though I'd already used potions and fondled the phallic spires on the first queen. I actually streamed the Kayran battle. I think P4, Kovach and/or Advent Chaos were watching. It killed me once or twice. Maybe three times. Running up the even more ruined ruins got me killed.

Also: I never had hooded armor in the game. What did you get it from? Since I purchased the pre-order pack from Gamestop, I had the Mysterious Merchant DLC. I'm sure Google would author an answer, but that does not give you something to respond to, does it?

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

Soooo on chapter 5 of the Witcher 1!

The game really gives you a 'shit has just hit the fan' feeling in Chapter 5 and it is fucking epic! The way the game shows you exactly how your choices have effected the world, but doesn't exactly punish you for them, leaving it to you to interpet whether what you've chosen is 'right' or wrong and I love it! Its like I chose the Order's side the entire time....but now in Chapter 5 I'm seeing how they are just as bad. And although I feel bad, I'm still confident I chose the lesser evil as Geralt likes to say.

Combat, at this point, is always simple yet I still enjoy it.

There are dozens of little niggles the game has, as well as the slowness and awkwardness of chapter 1 and 2 but its a testament to how solid the core experience of the game is that its still enjoyable.

YOUR MOTHER SUCKS DWARVEN COCK.

Now to finish it. AND THEN TO ORDER WITCHER 2 :D