The Witcher

deanb

My housemate got me the shiny Witcher 3 guide and I've had a flick through and oh my god so many of the quests go multiple ways.

spoiler on the crones:

I was like "wait, I don't believe you" so kept him trapped and he died n withered away. The crones ate the kids n Granny's mind goes by by for good. I think that quest was gonna go bad either way.

• Like 1

Loving this and wish I had more time to devote to it right now. As I mentioned on Twitter, I have just three niggles.

1. The weapons/armour degrade a little too fast for my liking, particularly if there's a mission where you're in for a long slog. Weapon and armour repair kits run a little expensive too. I'm hoping high quality items last longer (I have encountered the armourers who give you that Skellige forge quest so there's that to come).

2. And with the mention of Skellige, that brings me onto the most minor of points. Everyone pronounces things different to how I imagined them. Skellig-UH. VEL-un. I think even 'Melitele' is pronounced differently to Witcher 2. Could be wrong though.

3. And in another way I could be wrong. Has the radial/pie menu changed from Witcher 2? I've become so used to the Mass Effect way of doing it that the Witcher 3 method throws me off. I'd prefer if I could just hold the button, highlight what I want and let go; not press the button, highlight what I want and then press another button. It's not as conducive to mixing up fighting with multiple sign-castings, bomb throwing, etc. particularly because it only slows time rather than pauses it.

Also, I got into Novigrad and I like that the first two things I encountered were lessons not to be an interfering, "damsel-rescuing" character. :lol:

I find with armour and such it's a case of repairing between missions, when your back in town selling your wares nip to the blacksmith (need to anyway to offload scrap weapons) and get em repaired. Though I guess early on money is a bit of a pain, it starts to flow quite freely around lvl 7 onwards ish (you can maybe make a mad dash on Roach going the long way around to get to Novigrad n can convert florens to crowns for your first big boost. I got about 1,500 from that first time)

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/42937-Addressing-the-no-XP-Glitch?p=1718751#post1718751

We would like to let everyone know that we are aware of the XP glitch players are reporting and we are working to have it fixed as soon as possible across all platforms (Monday for PC & patch 1.04 on consoles in the following days).

At the same time we want to shed some light on the issue. First of all, it doesn't impact the game balance in any significant way. Also, you will be able to finish the game with your character achieving a level within the threshold we had in mind when we designed the game.

We hope this clears things up a bit. Again, rest assured, we won’t stop working on improving the game and there are more patches coming in the near future.

Question: I am still in the very early tutorial 'open world' (only had an hour or two to play here and there the past two weeks), and I just want to know what everyone thinks regarding whether I should break stuff down into crafting components or just sell the junk/swords/etc for the cash. As in, what's generally the way to decide whether to break an item down or to just sell it? Is crafting even generally worth it throughout the game?

I'm really enjoying it, so far, but just want to get a handle on how to approach the various game systems. If it helps, I'm playing on the difficulty above normal because a lot of reviewers and players have said that normal is an absolute cakewalk, while the harder difficulties actually feel more rewarding because you have to use signs and potions and oils and such more often and more strategically. It is annoying that I can't rest to heal, though.

Don't break anything down unless it's a very rare crafting material. At this point half of my carrying weight is crafting materials, and I've only dismantled like one or two items when I needed some leather scraps. Crafting is absolutely worth it, though. There are some great weapons and armor you can craft, including but not limited to witcher the different school gear.

I'm playing on the normal difficulty. Helps to be able to rest to heal. And it's only ever been cakewalk for me if I'm much higher than the mob's level. Even drowners can still be troublesome if you're fighting a decent-sized group.

I think it's a bit about finding balance between inventory space, money from selling the item, cost of dismantling and whether you'll get anything useful from dismantling.

What I tend to do is keep checking the Crafting section in the Glossary, which will show you what diagrams you've collected (although, you'll need to visit a Blacksmith/Armorer to make them). That'll show you what sort of items are needed to construct it. Also be sure to check what level you need to be to use an item, because I've made that mistake of gathering all sorts of items without realising I won't be able to use the thing until 5 levels later.

You'll probably find soon enough that you get into this rhythm of finding new diagrams, playing on until you get enough weapons/armour from enemies to sell some and dismantle others, using the newly constructed stuff for a few levels before stumbling across other stuff a merchant is selling or in a chest, etc.

I'm a real packhorse... so I turned Roach into one by purchasing the extra 70 weight saddlebags as soon as I had a decent amount of money. That way I can roam for a while and gather everything so I'm never short on things to sell or dismantle.

If you're concerned about not healing while meditating, I believe there's a skill in the character screen (one of the "white" skills) that regens health quicker during the day. I'd heard of players switching that in and out for meditating so their health does restore.

Yeah, I found some that are 70 extra, so I'm up to 130 total. I think I got them from the blacksmith in Oxenfurt but also saw them for sale with a lowly merchant in Lindenvale or somewhere. Cost about 450-something though.

The merchant stock can really vary in weird and inconsistent ways though. A couple of times they've stopped selling an item after I've exited and reentered the menu, and then brought it back after I did the same again.

I also dislike how it doesn't always show merchants unless you're near (or could be related to certain times of day), because I once stumbled across a decent Dwarven herbalist somewhere in Novigrad, but now I have no idea where he is...

Edited by Hot Heart

Thanks. I'll have to look around, then. It's strange, because I check every merchant I see multiple times. Partly because I tend to always have something to sell. Partly because I can never remember who I've played Gwent with.

Yeah, it's weird how merchant icons (don't) appear. Things like that and handling potions could have been done in a way to better favor the user and gameplay in general, but I suppose it's only really a niggle on my part.

I'd say the main things to dismantle are the hides, they're worth an alright amount I guess (to the point early game hunting might be an option for initial spurt of cash) but the big thing is they take up a surprising amount of weight. I'd picked up over a dozen horse hides from somewhere and at the time they accounted for nearly a quarter of the space in my bag. Crafting components are much lighter (and can be used for flexing,especially where most hides make leather objects). Oh except "white" hides, they tend to fetch a fair bit. I don't think I've ever gotten any directly from bears/wolves, more in looting stuff but yeah they're worth a fair bit more than other hides but breakdown much the same.

Oh monster stuff too, like where it's named. e.g "wraith eye" or whatever tends to need to be broken down to get the generic "monster eye" n whatever else, since so far I've not seen named body parts be in any alchemy or crafting recipes apart from the mutagens. But given the size stuff, and I think cost wise a "wyvern carapace" is worth more than "monster hide" I keep them as is until I need them (usually while at a blacksmiths too, so only a few tabs across to dismantle what I need, then pop back and made sword of stabbing +9% igni or whatever).

Sword wise, anything without stats or alt weapons that aren't silver, usually from mobs such as soldiers, bandits etc, are usually worth just selling on. I've never had to break any down since I get plenty of iron n leather from other means (see the above on hides). I think for some of the shiny Relic n Magic stuff you get in chests and from quests (my fave so far being essentially a very very fancy mythical cheese knife), it's worth breaking down for like emerald dust and such.

You know I'm typing this up and I realise say a couple feet from me is a game guide I got for b'day*.

Yeah, only Relic weapons turn up anything cool, the rest are made of iron, demtrium and leather n hafts. Fairly common stuff, unlike early game money.

Huh, there's a section for "carnal knowledge", the usual: Triss, Yennefer, etc. But...Weavess?....

Oh n carry weight I'm on 130 atm**, and I'm to hear it can go higher still. I imagine something from Skellige will be bigger.

* I've flicked through, but only for quests I've done that had obvious "this could go one of either ways". So won't be spoiling on stuff.

Hunt down Triss when you can, you'll end up at the beggars guild and the merchant there has the largest bags I've seen so far. It's like 900cr though iirc.

• Like 2

Yeah, I got the regen in daylight ability early on and use it as the functional equivalent of a rest, swapping it in to heal while running about and swapping it out when I need to be lethal.

Thanks for the tips regarding breaking stuff down. I'll sell shit unless I can break the item down into something I need for a useful recipe. Cannot wait to dig into this game.

You can get the +70 saddlebags from the blacksmith's wife in Crow's Perch

Also - no story spoilers - there's an alchemist northeast of Novigrad who buys things for their full value. (Only ever carries 500g around though, replenishing every 5 days or so, but still killer)

Patch hit yet? I'm waiting on that to play.

And you can shoot flying beasts down over water to kill them instantly. Forgot to mention that.

You holding off because of the no-XP bug?

I've put in 20 hours in the last week and have received plenty of XP from many, many quests. The bug doesn't affect everyone and, according to CDPR, doesn't affect the game's overall balancing in any significant way. I'd say do a brief save-scum to see if it affects you or not.

If you're not holding off because of this bug, then ignore me.

Amazing tip re flying beasts. Only tip I've got is to use Dancing Star against werewolves, especially once they're regenerating. Ruins their shit.

Couldn't find the saddlebags on the NPCs. Must be a random inventory item or something.

Edit: Wow. Just got killed by pirates who were less than half my level. Must've been 25 of them. Just goes to show that level ain't everything!

Edit: I found the saddlebags in a random bandit camp on the western end of Velen.

Edited by Saturnine Tenshi

http://tinywoodenpieces.com/issue/wild-hunt-for-foil-rares/

060-Wild-Hunt-for-Rares.jpg#

Boardgame webcomic I read touches upon Witcher 3.

edit: In fact not only boardgamey-Witcher 3 overlap. A discussion of the swords on reddit someone linked a video talking about swords on the back and I'm like "huh, that's Lloyd I play boardgames with".

Link to video in question: https://youtu.be/IocQ_DZVAU0?t=71

He's a fun guy, something to discuss next session (he loves getting a chance to rant).