deanb

Am I correct in guessing the old forum is going to stay alive, solely on the activity in the Minecraft thread?

Also, I finally caved and got it.

One of these days I may have to request whitelist access and join you all in your creation madness, but first I've got to find the time to actually figure out how to play the game.

Probably a good laptop game for while I'm back home - I'll have to install it there before I leave.

It's what you put into it.

It's more a Toybox, similar to Sims, Simcity, Spore, than game. There isn't any goal or objective. Just to survive and build and change the landscape around you.

It kinda breaks down very simply the past few hundred thousand years of human history. Build wooden pick...time passes...build subway system.

2010-09-29-Six.jpg

This is a semi recent Minecraft webcomic that popped up. I've being reading it the past few months. At first I thought it'd make some jokes of the weird nuances of the game, and since it gets posted once a day I pointed out it could burn up pretty fast. But I was told there's many plans for this and a pretty decently long plot n ideas for it. And in the past couple weeks I've started to see it creeping out with the introduction of Allan Badassery.

http://nerdcubed.co.uk/

Holy CRAP it is easy to get irrevocably lost in this game.

I still haven't figured out how to craft much of anything, and have been killed and lost either my body or base at least four times so far.

Time to see if there is a Minecraft map mod out there.

0_o

[EDIT] Gosh, I feel dumb.

I played this game for hours, stubbornly trying to figure out how to craft anything/tools before I finally gave up and had to check the Minecraft wiki's 'First Night Survival Guide.'

GRRR.

[EDIT 2]

And then mined a crap ton of resources only to tunnel into a wall of lava and lose them all.

Ooff.

My enthusiasm for Minecraft SMP went through the shitter when I realized the server was restarting (roughly) every month. I don't really have the enthusiasm to work on something knowing it's just gonna disappear later. It's like grinding levels in an RPG that you can't save in. What's the point? I know (arguably) everything in the game is pointless, but I at least like having a reminder of what I've accomplished.

My enthusiasm for Minecraft SMP went through the shitter when I realized the server was restarting (roughly) every month. I don't really have the enthusiasm to work on something knowing it's just gonna disappear later. It's like grinding levels in an RPG that you can't save in. What's the point? I know (arguably) everything in the game is pointless, but I at least like having a reminder of what I've accomplished.

This I didn't know. Just got the game and haven't tried to get whitelisted yet.

That's kind of shitty though... guessing they'll have a mode later though where it isn't wiped every month?

not every server have a new map every month. Most servers had a new map in the last month because of the major update to SMP

From what I can tell, there haven't really been any MAJOR changes from going from Alpha to Beta. It's just been egg throwing (yay chicken farming <_< ) and changing the version to "Beta."

I'm just glad that leaf decay is back, though… this means the end of easy jump-off platforms for me. :(

Ohhhhhh. Freaking awesome.

Last night I figured out how to start my own temporary server just off my computer so, that in effect, I could transfer my world to that temp server, and my friend could connect and we could Minecraft my world together.

So much fun!

We just found out the hard way that portals to the nether don't work in SMP yet though.

/sadface

Edited by TheForgetfulBrain