deanb

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2066351/1/MinecraftSMP?h=f2d0ac - From the Kotakuites SMP. Most of it's from the first month/world.

Here's my second house

minecraft3.jpg

minecraft6.jpg

Which I also had this suggestion to make exploration bunkers, so you could go exploring, knock up this bunker n stay in over night (just alt-tab in inventory screen to idle)

minecraft5.jpg

You can see the main 'castle' in the background, bottom right hand corner.

My buildings got more pretty overtime, So I had a seaside complex, with beach mansion, and my latest world in SP has a huge castle with mine built on the back. And I'm slowly working on making an underground and above ground village.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm mad because I decided to go peaceful until I get better at the game (and can craft some decent stuff) because I'd get a bunch of useful items... and then night would come and those bad guys don't fuck around. You close yourself in or they will get you. I built a building that was 20 blocks high with three levels and the spiders still got me. One other time I got pushed off and I fell on a blow up guy.

Being new in this game is not easy!

The worst part is that it appears to be down right now.

Sweet, it's back up.

Edited by getlefty

I didn't even realize we had a Minecraft thread on another forum.

My enthusiasm for Minecraft SMP went through the shitter when I realized the server was restarting (roughly) every month. I don't really have the enthusiasm to work on something knowing it's just gonna disappear later. It's like grinding levels in an RPG that you can't save in. What's the point? I know (arguably) everything in the game is pointless, but I at least like having a reminder of what I've accomplished.

I think that's probably the second most common reason why people leave the server (the first being AAA game releases). There are a few reasons why I do this.

1. The world gets mined out. Especially at diamond levels where people are strip mining; it's near impossible to dig down and not find yourself in somebodies massive grid system where they've been building 1x2 tunnels that branch off in every direction each 4 meters. On top of that new blocks like pumpkins are a hot commodity that don't regenerate and only appear at surface level, and now that a lot of the once useless items like flowers can be used to make dyes even simple stuff like that can be hard to find.

2. As the world gets larger, lag can occur as players get separated. This usually doesn't get too bad until the map hits 100+ mb. The solution is to either restart once in a while, or set up a border, which really increases the probability of problem #1 occurring.

3. The rules are constantly changing. Whether this means the map generator works differently, new blocks are added, a major glitch gets fixed, or people just get sick of the shop, occasionally to keep the game fresh and the people happy you have to make drastic changes that don't always complement the current map.

4. For these reasons, most public servers will occasionally change their map at their own pace. When we were hitting 20-30 people online at any given time at the height of its popularity, it really didn't take long at all to fill up the map (I remember popping in to McPonyton one day to find somebody had built an enormous gargantuan on my front lawn in the mere hours that I was gone). It was difficult to keep track of who wanted a new map and who wanted to stay; so ultimately I decided that rather than poll for it, I would change the map on the first of each month to avoid any confusion. Nowadays you can typically expect 5-15 people online, and the progression is a bit slower, so the last map stayed up for quite a while, basically until we had to change it because Notch added a bunch of stuff that wasn't generated on our map. I can see the current map going a lot longer than a month.

5. All the maps are still up for download so peoples work doesn't go to waste.

Yeah, what I said back in December is already obsolete about the once a month reset thing. I really don't expect that many new blocks to appear for a while. We'll get more items but minable blocks? I doubt it. I would dare to guess that this map will last us until the end of next month, at least.

Neo, about #1... do you think us greens can replace those flowers, pumpkins and such ever so often? If I recall, you don't mind us replacing sand in sand depleted areas (Mainly beaches). A few nights ago, someone was looks for pumpkins and well, its pretty rare on this map. I spotted a few patches on the cart but chances are, those are gone if someone used it to find them.

I'm asking this because I don't want #2 to become much of a problem.

Neo, about #1... do you think us greens can replace those flowers, pumpkins and such ever so often? If I recall, you don't mind us replacing sand in sand depleted areas (Mainly beaches). A few nights ago, someone was looks for pumpkins and well, its pretty rare on this map. I spotted a few patches on the cart but chances are, those are gone if someone used it to find them.

Absolutely. I do this whenever I'm bored. Haven't done it on this map much yet though. Careful with how many pumpkins you place as they're also a hunt reward.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost want to buy that magazine to read the whole interview but chances are, all the info will get out sooner or later. Its really is pretty awesome to see how far Minecraft has gone. I got into Minecraft around July or so of 2009. So a month or two after it gone public with donations and such. Before that, around the time it JUST started, I caught wiff of it and even tried it but I put it back down since there really not much you can do. Then Creative MP came... then indev which got me to buy the game. Can't say I would of donated before that since all you got was a custom skin but once you can fund a whole other different development, yeah, its worth it.

Now we got what we have now. Its still rough but its still fun. Also now Notch got the rest of the gang to help him out*. So who knows what will happen next...

Also, Neo, Will do.

*I find it funny that people still blast Notch for being slow to fix stuff even after getting the company together. Its really now about Mojang and what I see now is that Minecraft has enough manpower behind it to get things done. Soon, we're getting an official whitelist thing going, instead through Bukkit or whatever. So I suspect that all admin stuff will be all through official means soon so that while an update will break whatever plugins you may have but the core admin stuff will remain intact which will be a god send for all server admins and players.

Heh.

http://yatima2975.imgur.com/94813

Some guy is working on a mod to make the world height higher. It's a bit messed up in world gen though. (You'll probably easily work out his current method of making the world higher with a quick glance :P)

is this gonna be compatible with the future minecraft mod feature? couldnt see any info on that link

Guys, I need some help.

This newest update seems to have borked something for me, because I can't play private multiplayer SMP with my bro anymore without it turning into a headache-inducing lag fest.

Before, I'd be able to start up a server on my computer and run Minecraft at the same time, connect to it, and run the game with only my bro connected. Now, we can't seem to do the same without massive, massive lag (he'd see the actions I do literally 30 seconds later, no joke) and horrible framerates, and it never happened before this last week's bed update. Bukkit for some reason refuses to run (errors), and I tried MCAdmin and it was even worse than the regular Minecraft server software.

Any ideas? What can I do to get the game going decently? I have another computer that I can run the server off of so that it can function as a "dedicated" server of sorts, do you think it'll help? Anyone else have problems like mine after this recent update?

Sometimes there are huge chunks of the game that are completely empty, as if the game just forgets to render those. Sometimes they render eventually, sometimes they don't. But that's yet another one of the problems I'm having.

Should I try to set up the server in my laptop while I play with my desktop? Would that make a difference?

Sometimes there are huge chunks of the game that are completely empty, as if the game just forgets to render those. Sometimes they render eventually, sometimes they don't. But that's yet another one of the problems I'm having.

Should I try to set up the server in my laptop while I play with my desktop? Would that make a difference?

Getting that too, huh? I've been getting it recently, the server I've had set up for my dorm hall seems to be lagging a lot recently, had us up on a ledge for quite a while.

Of course after experimenting around we successfully concluded our server was dead in the water. Possible fixes do not seem to have worked. Did they forget to update the MP server to the current version or something? O_o

Getting that too, huh? I've been getting it recently, the server I've had set up for my dorm hall seems to be lagging a lot recently, had us up on a ledge for quite a while.

Of course after experimenting around we successfully concluded our server was dead in the water. Possible fixes do not seem to have worked. Did they forget to update the MP server to the current version or something? O_o

I dunno. I've had the chunk problem ever since I started hosting my own "server" for just us two, but I'm really ticked off at the ridiculous lag right now.

That sounds exactly like what Rtar is going through. Everyone else on the server is fine but him. It stumped us on what is causing it. I think I'll have to look around for answers since this is a really bad bug.

I dunno either. Did he try to disable his virus scanner? B/c some I've read somewhere that it might help and I haven't had the chance to try it.