Final Fantasy Thread

Yantelope

83 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best FInal Fantasy?

I would guess they're not going to be a "move" like in the earlier games and more like the limit-break style you get in most recent FFX onward titles (not that FFX is recent anymore....*) where it becomes the dominant PC.

The world is sounding quite FFXII/Ivalice type place but this time you'll maybe actually get more of the nations in the game than just references and border skirmishes.

(and yes the person said they were rounding a bit for dramatic effect)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

FFVIIR is on the PS+ games for March, however you won't be able to upgrade that version when the PS5 update hits.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/26/playstation-plus-games-for-march-final-fantasy-vii-remake-maquette-remnant-from-the-ashes-and-farpoint/

Edited by MetalCaveman
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm unironically super hyped for that game. As long as it's a somewhat decent souls-like, I am fully on board with whatever stupid bullshit they can come up with. Honestly a little bummed out that it's EGS exclusive but whatever, at this point I can wait out the exclusivity period for literally any game.

I thought the demo was pretty decent but fuck the EGS. I couldn't use it even if I wanted to because I no longer remember my Epic account password and in order to reset it I'd have to tell them when was the last time I bought something using it, which would have to be at least 10+ years because I can't remember ever buying shit with it. I'll probably end up just going with the PS5 version. 

I look forward to Origins for the stupid bullshit. They're totally doing it on purpose and I love it.

If I want a super serious Final Fantasy, I wait for FFXVI which is coming along (there's also FFXIV). Sounds like the scenarios and such are pretty much done which I understand was kind of the issue with FFXV where it was a disjointed mess.

Seems like this time around they got their house in order and seems on task, taking into account any pandemic delays. Hoping for an uneventful dev period till more reveals/trailers (setting my expectations to TGS 2022 at latest with release in 2023).

• 2 years later...

I'm about 3/4s of the way through FFXVI (based on how much of the map I have unlocked and amount of Eikons/Mother Crystals dealt with).

I'm enjoying it (put it in my GOTY after all), but my god is it not really FF and just continuing the disappointing trend of their action-orientation mainline stuff like FFXV and FFVIIR. Really makes me apprehensive for how they might do a remake of FFIX.
For me a big thing that just really sticks out is that you have these elemental bases for the likes of Eikons and such, and thus you  can swap between being fire, ice, thunder; but none of it means anything. There's no major difference to the elements on how they impact fighting enemies. Heck there's very little difference to say some being particularly weak to melee vs magic attacks. The game has malboros, but while in other games you'd have to deal with status effects these have "Bad breath" but it's just an AoE attack since there's no status impacts becuase there's only a a few consumables you can use and two of them are potions. Heck you get elemental sword upgrades as the game progresses but it does nothing except change the look of the sword and its stats - there's no effect from it.

There's quite a few moves too, but only 6 attack slots so you're kind of dissuaded from mixing it up (especially as the ability points are rather stingy in relation to how much new moves cost to unlock), and given there's no status impact or elemental affinities there's no much point. The main issue sticks when fighting a boss as most fights are group based so I tend to have loaded out with AoE/group attacks and against a boss a lot of these are pointless or no impact (like literally they just glance off a lot of bosses and they can just hit you through your attack which is...annoying)

(the story is a bit muddled too; like it has three different strands between anti-slavery, environmentalism, and destiny/free will. The anti-slavery/environmentalism from the same group too, and in fact both aims run counter to each other)

I do like the art, and the "airships" (I'll be disappointed if we don't get at least one of the airships airborne).

Byron is class. Easily in my top pantheon of FF characters tho. "Can't you have any normal enemies?!"

On 12/29/2023 at 3:53 PM, deanb said:

The game has malboros, but while in other games you'd have to deal with status effects these have "Bad breath" but it's just an AoE attack since there's no status impacts becuase there's only a a few consumables you can use and two of them are potions.

That's lazy as hell. Like, wut? Is there even poison? The other status effects can have literal things you can do to hinder the player.

Confusion should muddle up your controls settings like up is right, confirm is jump, and stuff like that. Oh, it should vary with each time it happens so you can't just get use to it and play normally. 

Blind is self explanatory. Just black out or blur the screen.

Rage just reduces you to melee. No skills or whatever. Not even jump. Unga Bunga only. 

Oh, you can technically clear most of them by just switching to another character that's active then scramble to cleanse/debuff the character you were controlling. 

Ah, what's a disgrace to such an iconic enemy like a malboro.

There are no status or elemental affects in FFXVI at all. It annoyed the heck out of me too. It just feels really dumbed-down. If you check out the reddit/YT vids you can see people chain together impressive looking combos, but the game in no way encourages this behaviour.

FFVIIR at least kept elemental affinities, weapons had pros and cons in terms of magic/physical attack, other effects like materia growth etc, in FFXVI there is one number associated with your weapon, the bigger the attack number the better weapon, at least there's a transmog system so you can pick your prefered unga-bunga look...