Final Fantasy Thread

Yantelope

83 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best FInal Fantasy?

1. My general recommendation for starting is FFX. The battle system is simple, the rock-paper-scissor mechanic easy to understand (it's orange, hit it with water, it's shelled hit it with Auron, it's fast hit it with Tidus, flying hit it with Wakka, so on), and it's recent enough that it doesn't look like total trash. It's also the game PCSX2 was made for (mainly cos FFX asks specific things from PS2 and its emulators, so if it runs other games will work too) so it runs pretty much perfect on it.

2. The numbers on EU store are the true numbers. It was US that had stuff like IV released as FFII, we didn't get FF until FFVII, by which points the numbering was all sorted out. (Which does mean people voting FFII might be voting FFIV)

3. If you're looking to pick up something in the EU FF PSN sale, I'd suggest IX. It's the better looking of the bunch (the last PSone FF, so had all their skill) and the story is all rather nice and it has a fair few references to the previous games of the series. ATB version is pretty much standard (but can be slow), levelling up is nice n simple (equip items, learn skills off them. Game limits what items you get as game progresses so there's little need/point to grinding). Oh and I like the game so I'm hugely biased.

4. As an aside FFXII is great if you're wanting a bit more modern take. The reaction to FFXII is pretty much what led to FFXIII. People didn't like the SP MMO type gameplay, the real time battles, the wide open areas etc. But I think it's a great one to progress too after "introduction" FF is played. Though it's also a good jump on from FFXIII. Fun to see the differences between X n earlier FFs, what FFXII changed up, and what FFXIII ended up as a compromise/response.

• Like 1

If you want a "classic" Final Fantasy sprite-based experience, I'd pick up the FFIV Complete Collection for PSP/Vita. If you dig sprite based aesthetics you will LOVE the way it looks. Honestly, that's the one I'd start with. The game holds up fairly well today and was where the series really started finding it's footing.

• Like 1

Why is XIV on the list but not XI??

Despite its status as 'overhyped/overrated', I still gotta give my vote to FF7 because hey, it is what cemented my interest in the RPG genre. FFIX is a close second.

Also, Tactics wasn't on the list, so I couldn't vote for that.

If spinoffs like that counter, Dissidia 012 would get my vote.

Edited by TheCowboyPoet

• 2 weeks later...

So you may have heard that last week a certain blog had heard from several sources that FF Versus XIII had been canned.

http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

Well....

http://www.develop-online.net/news/41510/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-development-continues

According to Wada it's still going on.

Makes sense, we saw that game in January 2011, game play, cinematics, etc etc and it was looking pretty far in development, I don't think they'd just cancel it. I do believe it'll be Final Fantasy XV though. Which maybe lead to a mistranslation/misunderstanding that caused the rumour.

• 1 month later...

I just realize I need an emulator since my brother's PS3 is not BC. Thanks for reminding me of that emulator.

Edit: I feel like a heretic playing with a 360 pad and its pretty cool that we finally have a stable PS2 emulator. Okay, not just pretty cool but really fucking cool. This may make me want to dig up some Japanese gems.

Edited by MaliciousH

I feel like a heretic playing with a 360 pad

There are quite a few PS3 PC drivers for emulation out there. Most require the controller to be wired through USB, but if your PC has a bluetooth module, you can connect the sixaxis wirelessly through some of the better drivers. Worth taking a look if you really want to play on a PS pad.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finished FF XII Revenant Wings!  It was indeed very decent.  That's exactly how I would describe it.  It's problems are:

1.  The story is very clearly a hastily thrown together excuse to return to the world of FF XII and it doesn't even approach the qualities of the original work.

2.  It's a Square Enix game, so it's not actually going to reveal how the mechanics all come together to make it fun until 7+ hours in.

Those are appreciable problems, but the good qualities too which include:

1.  RTS for the DS that's actually well designed from the ground up for the hardware.  It's not that RTS doesn't work on the DS, it's that PC RTS doesn't work on the DS.

2.  Steals the awesome soundtrack from FF XII

3.  It's a Square Enix game so the production values for absolutely best in class.  Looks great, sounds great, there are tons of abilities and characters, there's a whole looting and crafting system that can occupy no small amount of time, there's a ship's log that updates with different character's perspectives on events throughout the game, sidequests to do... there's just an awful lot of game here.

4.  Is fun from hour 7 to hour 35

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

FF7-9 have prerendered backgrounds, theyre either all still images or short fmv videos. Theyd have to redo them at a higher res, theres nothing you can do to the pre-existing backgrounds except "smooth" them out like Capcom does with their 2D fighter ports.

So if theyre going to redo the backgrounds over again, you might as well just remake the entire game.

Didn't the previous Versus XIII Trailers show a girl that could be Noctis enemy? In the E3 trailer, I would assume he's facing an evil empire or uprising.

Also, the world there was darker. I wonder how much has changed. Or maybe this is just a new side to the game. I bet they just wanted to show off Noctis teleporting to stuff.