Final Fantasy Thread

Yantelope

83 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best FInal Fantasy?

Taking this from the E3 thread...

FFXV/VersusXIII looked nice until Malicious mentioned Kingdom Hearts. :<

Why the face? The only reason KH3 was even announced was because FFv13 (now 15) is finally coming out so Nomura can start another project.

More due to the "takes pages from", as I think the games are awful. I'll still keep an eye on FF15 regardless. I just hope it doesn't concentrate too much on theatrics; that would be my biggest worry.

I like the Kingdom Hearts games (1 and 2 anyways) in that they meshed the battle menu from Final Fantasy with an active battlefield. The main complaint I hear about Final Fantasy battle system(s) were that they are slow and that there is the transition to the battle screen. Kingdom Heart went pass all that and in ways preserved a Final Fantasy touch with the menu, magic and summons. Sure it was a bit rough (In both games) but it works.

I'll say this till kingdom comes (heh): I think it was an mistake that Kingdom Heart got the battle system. I think the Kingdom Hearts battle system was the evolution that Final Fantasy needed.

It was(is) why I was(am) so excited for Versus XIII (Now XV). We'll see. God, this will decide my faith in the Final Fantasy franchise.

All I know is this about Final Fantasy. I disliked the combat, setting and characters of FFXIII. Not to mention the whole no city hubs shit. This game already looks like it has a combat I'll enjoy more, a setting more aching to anime which I love, and characters that dont look like they belong in a cosplaying catalogue [outside of the main guy's hair].

FF7-9 have prerendered backgrounds, theyre either all still images or short fmv videos. Theyd have to redo them at a higher res, theres nothing you can do to the pre-existing backgrounds except "smooth" them out like Capcom does with their 2D fighter ports.

So if theyre going to redo the backgrounds over again, you might as well just remake the entire game.

There is my link like two posts above where you did the FFX trailer you might have missed:

http://forum.pressxordie.com/topic/388-final-fantasy-thread/page-14#entry107646

The artwork (and 3D models) were already done a lot higher HD than the PS1 was capable of outputting. It's like there's all those raw z-brush models of 7th gen models out there too, just waiting to be put in the 9th gen 4K re-releases.

As far as the FFX HD trailer goes, I guess it's like 13 years past the spoiler window but damn did it really, out of all the game, need to mention the whole pilgrimage being a sham/killing summoners thing?

FFXV I'm not sure I fully approve of the even more action-orientated angle they're going. Especially as I'd been hoping for a bit more ATB reaching roots. Lost Odyssey has shown it can be kept relevant, and FFXIII-2 was pretty close-enough too. But XIII-LR and XV seem to be going way too action oriented. Part of reason I like FF series is because of the turn based mechanics. Planning your moves, nice plodding gameplay that's not trying to rush you. Also why they're so great to play on handhelds too years later.

I can't get enough of that Battle demo trailer! I even downloaded the 1080p video and played it on my TV. I held a controller. I want to play that game now!

It looks like at 1 point Noctis and friends QTE'd that Behemoth, the fight where Noctis' huge friend took that huge sword and slammed it to the huge behemoth. I guess it's expected, it being an action-RPG and all...

I'm trying to see if there are framerate drops. I could definitely notice some but I don't think it was that bad. I remember I think FFXIII had noticeable framerate issues. Hope they smooth things out a bit more.

I'll admit. No. It showed up in a weird time in my gaming life (FPS Age) and I was sliding into the FF hate wagon. I've been meaning to fix this. Besides, its Ivalice.

If you've played Dragon Age: Origins, you've experienced a slower version of FFXII.

Personally, I miss the ATB system or even whatever FFX's system was.

All I know is this about Final Fantasy. I disliked the combat, setting and characters of FFXIII. Not to mention the whole no city hubs shit. This game already looks like it has a combat I'll enjoy more, a setting more aching to anime which I love, and characters that dont look like they belong in a cosplaying catalogue [outside of the main guy's hair].

Oh thank goodness.  For the longest time, I never encountered anyone I knew that didn't have the same beefs I have with FFXIII's combat.

I wanted to like the battle system, but I couldn't get behind 'it's got menu based combat, but it's fast like an action game...so just use auto-battle for optimal moves!'.  The hell is the point of this when trying to be strategic basically gets your shit wrecked?

In terms of the setting, all the locations looked nice (even some of the corridors), but I wasn't really enamored with the world itself.  Unless the overall point was that it didn't really feel 'alive' was the goal...

Character-wise, Sazh was the only character I actively liked by the end of the game.  I was neutral toward Snow the entire time.  Hope started out obnoxious then got better toward the end.  Lightning felt really stereotypically 'tough anime female' (I know, I know.  Japanese game!).  Everything Fang said and did just rubbed me the wrong way.  Something about her mannerisms and behavior just kind of grated my nerves.  And Vanille?

I sure am glad Vanille didn't live to see the end of the damn game.

Everything with Vanille in it was awful.

I feel the same about XIII's combat. I also didn't like that the flow of any battle that took more than a few seconds was all-out attack, pull in for tanking and heals, all-out attack, pull in for tanking and heals, reapply buffs.

The settings did look nice, but yeah, most weren't anything impressive. Though there was that frozen sea which was amazing. They all seemed fairly generic and lifeless otherwise.

I wasn't really partial to any character, but I didn't mind Sazh and Vanille. Fang was okay at times.

I'm actually in the last dungeon—well into it—and just don't feel like finishing the game.

I think the issue isn't largely age if you play it right now. It'd be how much technology and gaming mechanics have advanced. The stories should be fine, but trudging through random encounters is not. In fact I recently stopped playing a strategic J-rpg because the random encounters weren't so much random as they were forced. You had no option.

FF8 is also my favorite final fantasy. Ill never say its the best one(FF4/FF6 is), but I personally like what it did. Its almost completely sci fi, very little fantasy in it. Its just a very quirky weird game. I loved it.

Also, this website is a riot.

http://squallsdead.com/

Edited by Strangelove

Jesus fuck. XII is a love song. You sure get hints of it from the opening and all but now I find they brought back a DEMON WALL*!? Of all things to bring back and yes, it killed me. I only manage to get it down to half health at level 17 for my characters (not the guest, he's 18). I'm guessing level 20 will do it unless I can cast slow or stop on this fucker.

*Shit gave me nightmares when I was younger because how tough he was. Mind you, I was about 6 or 7. I can eat him for breakfast now.

My feelings about XII... I sure missed out 7 (?) years ago. So far I got to say that it ranks around 5th-10th, I'll decide after I finish (Kind of hard to dethrone IX, VI and Tactics [1-3, you decide the actual rank] but its for sure respectable). I find this story to be better than X's. Combat is actually pretty fast paced. Not real time but it works. Still frustrating though. I think they could of left out the LP for armor and weapons. I can understand about magic or skills though.

A Demon Wall? There's two of them in a row. One of them is a "fake". (iirc mind, this info might be wrong).

XII I'd say is very well done, and about as far away from the regular ATB as I've been comfortable with so far. Yeah the License Board stuff kinda sucks as a levelling up method, especially when you're wanting to get to a summon or ..whatever the limit breaks are called (conjunctions?) cos it means picking up a bunch of stuff you likely don't care for. But it keeps the game paced I guess, you're not going to be using spells well ahead of time (which I guess some might dislike, but I'm fine with it. Early use of -aga spells is always welcome where possible mind.) It's clearly inspired by their MMO work of XI too, and it feels pretty good in that regard, bigger areas to explore and less linear, something X n XIII kinda lacked in. Proper quest system of sorts too, though also grinding of mobs too for components (which at least drops the whole "why does a wolf have an iron dagger on it?").

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/kitase-interested-in-more-final-fantasy-hd-remasters

I mean, if we had to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy XII.

340x.gif

Kitase, just...ugh.  YOU WERE DOING SO WELL UNTIL THE END!  Why would you ruin it!?

Edited by Alex Heat

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/kitase-interested-in-more-final-fantasy-hd-remasters

I mean, if we had to single out one of the vast number of Final Fantasy titles which we could make in HD, it would have to be Final Fantasy XII.

340x.gif

Kitase, just...ugh.  YOU WERE DOING SO WELL UNTIL THE END!  Why would you ruin it!?

Speak for yourself, this is exactly what I'm hoping for.