Final Fantasy Thread

Yantelope

83 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best FInal Fantasy?

The trick is to push the internal resolution, in the GPU plug-in settings, up. It handily has preset 2X, 4X, 6X settings n so on. Essentially downscaling. A bit of AA doesn't hurt, but can make things go a bit fuzzier than you might want. Also the more recent version in the main Emulation Settings has the Preset button on the bottom of the window which makes things go so much better so much easier too. I'm on Preset 2. I reckon if I had more than a Core2 Quad I'd probably be able to run things much much smoother.

What's more popular?  FFVII?  Forget it.  It's never gonna happen.

I'd say a toss up between FF6 and FF7.  Third place goes to FFIX.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about an FF6 remake, especially considering how Terra was portrayed in Dissidia.  Too much like 3rd Birthday Ada Brea for my liking.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep because I remembered 3rd Birthday exists.

In terms of popularity FFVII is the #1. In terms of which one is considered the best, I believe the battle tends to be between VI and IX.

Also seeing screens of XII reminds me why I'm looking forward to XV. No weird clothing as far as I have seen in the trailer. Some japanese aren't as excited as they could be for the new title since the style and design is based so closely to reality, but that's actually a plus for me.

They could of done some A Song of Ice and Fire level story with them. Hell, the whole of Ivalice could. I want SE to grow some balls and make a nice deep story again. More Ivalice.

Now... I think I broke the game. I ran around in higher level places and now I'm raping the story. I like it when games give me this option. I can do some challenges and then proceed to flow through the story.

@Malicious H - FF XII I think is already the deepest FF storytelling has ever been.  You've got political intrigue, a massive list of characters (and more importantly characters who exist for reasons other than to serve/obstruct the party), and a refusal to pidgeonhole most characters into good/evil roles.  It's not song of ice and fire... but I can't think of many games that approach their fantasy storytelling with such a vastly realized story that hinges on the military and political balances between powerful men and nations.  (any?  Maybe just The Witcher?  And even then, that would make FF XII video game's best original take at least)

@Mister Jack - he shouldn't be there.  He wasn't there originally.  Originally FF XII was a three man party all game (Basch, Ash, Vossler).  Then Square Enix brass looked at it and said "ehh... that's not terribly marketable.  Can you give us a leading couple?"  So then the director drew up Balthier and Fran, the pair that would accompany and add worldly concern to the party that was previously all royal/noble/concerned with honor.  Then Square Enix brass said "ehh... that's not terribly marketable. Can you give us a more teenage anime leading couple?".  It was at this point that 1.  Balthier's catchphrase "I'm the leading man" was added to the script.  Because the director was PISSED OFF.  2.  The director left the project.  3.  Vossler was cut from the party and the story widely rewritten.  The entire intro needed to be rebuilt from scratch.

So that's why development took forever on this one.  And it also explains why Vaan and Penelo are there without really having a point.  The original story was written before they or Balthier/Fran even existed.  That's why it all revolves around other characters, and even many of the guest characters (Larsa, Vossler, Reddas) seem like better protagonist material than what we ended up with.  That's why the intro is so much weaker than much of the rest of the game - it was made after the director (Matsuno) bailed and it's job was to introduce and characterize these two pointless characters who existed solely to be teenage romantic leads.  That's why their character arcs end so early in the game - the story as originally written takes over and replaces the new stuff.

That's why Balthier/Fran are a good leading couple with chemistry, and Vaan/Penelo are not.  One pair was made by the original director, one was made by the team he left behind.

• Like 2

Explains a lot but yeah, the game doesn't really suffer from having Vaan/Penelo. They're just terribly out of place.

Good game? Hell yeah. Final Fantasy wise, I would put XII to my top five (IV, VI, Tactics, IX and XII. No order*). The story was a factor but the most major one was how open ended it is. Open ended in that it has:

1. The main story line and the side quests.
  2. Mixed enemies difficulties in one area.
    1. An off shoot: Various difficulty areas are opened to you
  3. While each level is more or less linear, they all form up a rough web.

1, 2) You can run through the story if you like or you can sink some time into the side quests. The side quests can lead you to some tough places in which you have the option to level and gear up for or you can leave it for after some progress through the story. This can leads to over-leveling, which I see as totally fine. I love that option. 

3) I find this to be a nice way to get around the fact that since X, FF games does not have overworlds. It gives me option to how I approach moving around. I could go from A to B or make a detour to perhaps a place that kicked my ass before but now I feel that I can take.

Giving me options (But not too much!) to how I go about playing a game can only be a good thing. XII has a good amount of options. I don't quite recall X having anything near this. XIII on the other hand backpedaled (I think?).

Back to Vaan's wonderful adventure with the real heroes... I'm still on my way to the empire's capital though I went off on a tangent and went into the Deadlands. I can only make a small dent into those two places so I backed out of there. I also discovered Exodus (Optional summon) on top of the mountain. Beat him down though I had to look up how to finish him. He was spamming reflect while being immune to melee.. to a point. The NPCs spammed dispel while I send in a Bio but then I discovered his immunity to melee attacks wore off.

Now I'm off on a hunt for a rouge pet. Might be out of my league but I'll find out. The Antlion is another hunt that is currently out of my league because his minions zerg rushes me. There is also this ghost boss in a cave that I need to deal with later. I think he's overall harder than the above two. There might be a few more that I forgotten... so yeah, see what I mean about open ended?

*VI, IX, XII... Is XV going to be a lucky number?

• 2 weeks later...