Final Fantasy Thread

Yantelope

83 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best FInal Fantasy?

Yeah, I saw those. That sprite of Locke and Figaro Castle are particularly painful to look at but I don't give a shit. It's the best FF and I want it on Steam, damnit! I'd rather they just put up the original SNES version, obviously, but that's not happening. Modern Square-Enix is like an old relative with early onset dementia. Most of what they do makes no sense at all, so whenever they do something that's somehow halfway good, you gotta just appreciate it. :(

edit: Apparently, other than the ugly sprite work, it's quite a good port. Seems it includes the enhancements from the GBA version (which was completely relocalized and has a much better translation) along with some other stuff. Sounds like the definitive edition of the game, all things considered. It's just a shame S-E felt the need to puke all over the visuals. :/

Edited by FLD

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah even in my low-internet I've seen this. Seems to be pretty much a case of slapping the FFVII branding on something to try and recoup some of the expected losses from having FFXV in development for 10 fucking years.

Pretty disappointed as I find the FFXV gameplay to be farther from the older games than even XIII was. Was sorta hoping mainly for a HD remake/remodel of VII not just XV with a total conversion mod on it.

According to the big Steam package names leak of 2015, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster might be coming to Steam in the near future. https://steamdb.info/app/359870/subs/

I figured it eventually would but it's nice to have something concrete to suggest that it will. All the doubt and confusion surrounding possible Sony involvement/exclusivity was kind of annoying.

FFVIIR in multiple parts might be the only way we see part of this game before 2019. 

The PC port of FFVII on PS4 is pretty nice, and it has cheat buttons!! Basically you can play the game 3X as fast, with god mode (invincibility with constant limit breaks), and you can turn off random encounters! None of these deactivate trophies. Maybe I'll actually beat FFVII now?? Nobody tell me how it ends!!

Edited by The Cowboy Poet

Nobody tell me how it ends!!

I don't understand it all well enough to be able to :P

Kinda sucks they're splitting it up, but makes it pretty much more certain that it's there purely as a way to recoup losses from FFXV. They could do with maybe more confirmation of what the overall plan with it is though, and that it's not just "put out part 1, maybe part 2, then meh we made our money back". Given XIV had to go completely back to the drawing board, XV has taken near 10 years ago, and the PC release of Lighting Returns was due in March n still not out is not exactly scoring them big points in the "we can release a FF game properly" department.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, I didn't think it was even possible! Good on Square-Enix for not letting it be forever locked on PS1. Glad I'll finally get to play it.

People have been calling 2015 "the year of dreams" because of all the insane game announcements we got and, as stupid as I thought it was, this seems like an appropriate enough way to end it. Not getting too excited, though. It's S-E we're talking about, they can somehow fuck this up.

Oh, and I guess we're one step closer to confirmation for X/X-2. At this rate, all we'll be missing on PC is I, II and XII. And there's rumors that XII HD remaster is in the works.

Edited by FLD

It's kinda mind-boggling that they haven't ported Tactics to PC yet considering there's already a mobile version, which is pretty solid from what I heard. It's based on the PSP remake and I think (really not sure on this one) that they fixed the slowdown "bug". Considering that (outside of the XIII trilogy and Type-0) they seem to be working their way upwards through the numbers, I guess maybe they want to get all the mainline titles out of the way first? Could explain why they're announcing this port of IX out of nowhere before even acknowledging the X/X-2 leak.

Yeah, they allegedly lost the original high-res assets, so there isn't much that can be done about that. It's probably going to end up looking better on a smaller screen as a result. It sounds like they did some work on the character models, though, so there's at least that.

But honestly, I'm just glad the game is going to be on PC at all. Something like the RE HD Remaster would be amazing but blurry backgrounds aren't going to ruin my enjoyment of the game. I mean, I don't have a problem with FFVII's looks in general and those character models look fucking grotesque. This looks so much better by comparison lol.

There's definitely at least some high-res backgrounds kicking around cos I posted them in here some months back. And yeah the models have been updated, with I think the battle models being used in the overworld. I guess at least the 3D elements are scaled up n aliased so battles and the world map will be alright. Shame they don't even seem to have attempted any sort of even basic sharpening to polish up the backgrounds. Be nice to play it again but damn does it look super bad with crisp 3D model floating over a blurry background.

It's S-E we're talking about, they can somehow fuck this up.

Yeeeeeep.

7NE92s0.png

I really hope this is GMG jumping the gun with a placeholder price but I can actually kinda see S-E trying to swing such an idiotically high price for a fifteen fucking years late port. I was planning on buying this day one regardless of free time to actually play it but fuck that if that's how much they're charging for it lol.

• 2 months later...

Pretty neat list, could likely easily make it to 20 and still have to slice bits out. Obviously I agree with #10 :)

Oh and the FFVII game will be a trilogy in the same vein as FFXIII

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-multiple-full-sized/1100-6438387/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

Not sure how they're gonna pull that one off tbh.