Mass Effect

AcidCrownie

Andromeda  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to get Mass Effect Andromeda?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, I need to see more
    • Already have it preordered
  2. 2. If you are getting Andromeda, what system will you play it on?

• Playstation 4
    • Xbox One
    • PC
    • I'm delusional and think I'll be able to get it on Switch

Scrubtalk

Playing Soldier is like playing a human in WoW. It's like going to Baskin Robbins and ordering vanilla. It's like going to a bar, it's Friday night, you just got paid, you don't need to get up tomorrow morning, they're doing half-price whiskey, and you order a water.

Hey you're a SF guy it seems, I figure, then, your philosophy is no shotos no fireballs?

Cody is a shoto. A modified one, but a shoto. No, I don't care who people play. I'm working on "From C to Shining C" myself, the trophy for reaching C Rank with every character online, so I've played enough to see the good in just about every character.

Anyway, the point is, there are all these cool in-universe powers, like hacking, combat drones, the ability to smash shit with your mind, why in god's name would you pick the only class that can't do ANY of that?

Hey you're a SF guy it seems, I figure, then, your philosophy is no shotos no fireballs?

Cody is a shoto. A modified one, but a shoto. No, I don't care who people play. I'm working on "From C to Shining C" myself, the trophy for reaching C Rank with every character online, so I've played enough to see the good in just about every character.

Anyway, the point is, there are all these cool in-universe powers, like hacking, combat drones, the ability to smash shit with your mind, why in god's name would you pick the only class that can't do ANY of that?

Hey, I said scrubtalk and it's the same line of thought. You think it's stupid when someone says something like that to you when it applies to something you do but it's the same thing here that you're doing to me.

I'll pick the class because I know I can do all that cool stuff with other characters and because I like the class. Just like you would pick cody because maybe you like shotos or something. Doesn't mean I can't be open to other classes you know, just like I'm going to assume you don't JUST play cody. Or shotos.

Because I can pick squad mates who have those powers? And the way the power thing works activating my squad-mate's powers is exactly the same as mine. So really, the way I look at it, is that I get access to all the powers, and a fun shooting mechanic, while you are limiting your access to the shooting.

The class I've played through on Insanity has been soldier, and I gave him Jacob's shield...how does that compare to the fully upgraded shields of other classes? Bear in mind that I had on the armor upgrades which affect small percentages of the strength of the armor.

My foray into non-soldierdom in 2 will probs be sentinel next. I've just really going about it slowly because the idea of not being able to whip out the weapon I feel like using at the moment is really, really aggravating.

To weigh in on the whole class choice thing.

I chose Vanguard in ME1, because that was a mix of combat and powers, and I wanted to try out the powers. I used Garrus for tech stuff and Wrex...because he is cool.

For ME2, I decided to stick with Vanguard. But that woman from BioWare lied (OK, told a half-truth) about the Biotic Charge (which I don't believe any of your teammates get, so there :P ). She said it can get you out of trouble...except you can only target enemies, plus it could be a little picky about when it will work. Still, once I levelled it up it was fun and it did actually save my life a few times; plus the class got weapons I liked (SMG and powerful handgun), while I had no need for anything else. Even though I used them a lot in ME1, Shotguns felt unnecessary; while I remember assault rifles being a little unrealiable and sniper rifles being awful (although, they probably work well for the right classes in ME2).

For teammates, I took Miranda (for a bit of biotic and tech) and Zaeed (for armour-damaging stuff) but later switched him for Garrus. Of course, a lot of the game revolved around balancing a team for loyalty missions and I actually found during the final mission (where I sent Miranda as a leader) that Jack, with her Shockwave, also made for a good replacement.

fuuuuu well then this probs means I won't play as something else then cause I really don't want to go through the trouble of starting over again after playing through the game twice already

There's also Gibbed's Save Editor.

That probably only works for the PC version though, right?

You can transfer ME2 saves. :)

Also, here's a warning from BioWare forum overlord:

Chris Priestly wrote...

I have movied this to the characters and creations forum and stickied,

HOWEVER!!!

It is BioWare's policy that you DO NOT moddify our games. We are not responsible for any changes you make to our games and how they may or may not correctly work with future DLC or sequels.

And I know, I hear you say "Priestly, I only moddified the X" or "I only changed the Y, so that cannot hurt anything" or similar. THAT DOES NOT MATTER. Anytime you start mucking around in teh game and moddifying, adding credits, changing appearances, altering anything it MAY have an unexpected effect on future Mass Effect content.

You are welcome to do any modding you so choose, but you do it at your OWN RISK.

--

Finally,

Here's a very thorough guide.