Mass Effect

AcidCrownie

Andromeda  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to get Mass Effect Andromeda?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, I need to see more
    • Already have it preordered
  2. 2. If you are getting Andromeda, what system will you play it on?

• Playstation 4
    • Xbox One
    • PC
    • I'm delusional and think I'll be able to get it on Switch

I'm kinda with Hot Heart. I'll agree the wording wasn't very good, it did throw me off for a second, but given the way the entire rest of the series has worked I knew that the paragon/renegade option would be the one to let you get the best of both worlds. You NEVER get that kind of outcome with just a regular dialogue choice throughout the whole series, it has to be a paragon/renegade choice.

A little late but... As you know, I liked the ending. But I think it can be improved. I think they should

Everything's the same, until Shepard goes up that elevator made of light. His head is down, somebody, or something is approaching him but he can't see it yet. By the way, the camera is doing a closed up on Shepard's face, he's in a lot of pain, and stressed out. Then the camera cuts to:

The catalyst. Of course, the catalyst is here, we already know it. But it's not the kid, no. Something's different. It's Harbinger!

"WAKE UP!" says Harbinger, in his booming voice.

Shepard doesn't even need to look up. "Harbinger...", he whispers.

"You have done well, Shepard." Harbinger says, acknowledging all of Shepard's accomplishments. He goes on to enumerate the various things Shepard has done, since Mass Effect 1. So we see, for example, the Geth and the Quarians, crushing each other, or helping each other rebuild. As he recaps this, he comments on how he was right all along, or how annoyed he is at what you've done.

Shepard looks up, sees where he is, and cuts him off. "Where am I? What is this place?"

Harbinger then talks about the Citadel, the Crucible, and the Catalyst. Maybe he mentions dark energy, maybe not, who knows. He gives a pretty good explanation, and then presents you with 3 choices. The same choices the Catalyst gave you on the original ending.

Shepard asks "Why are you telling me this?". He can't believe after all this, Harbinger would just give up and let Shepard basically end the cycle.

Harbinger answers. "You cannot stop us, Shepard. You have failed."

As Shepard begins to answer back, Harbinger's laser glows:

"This hurts you. Seriously."

Shepard dodges. Harbinger blasts part of the floor and Shepard tumbles.

"Ugh..." Shepard grunts, struggling to get his balance back.

Harbinger's laser glows again. Anderson, suddenly, is alive. Just for 1 sec, and shoots Harbinger, giving enough time for Shepard to get back on his feet.

Harbinger changes targets, and kills Anderson, but not before Anderson says

"Give him hell... Commander..."

And then he's dead.

Harbinger looks back at Shepard. He mocks you. "And now you stand alone, Shepard."

You now have control. There's a prompt to press L1, as you press it:

Paradigm Shift! You choose "Sentinel" Paradigm. And quickly access Tech Armor.

Harbinger blasts you for 24 damage. It should have been 999 but you're good since you got to Sentinel in time.

Harbinger charges laser. You quickly change t-

Oh...

Edited by elev3n

Also, FFS, people. It's not a Deus Ex Machina if it's been established at some point before the end. From what I can gather it was set in motion in ME1. I know you guys like using that term though, so carry on...

I don't have an issue with the Deus Ex Machina, although I do think it was a Deus Ex Machina (I actually even said it aloud when I heard it first mentioned in the game! - then continue playing).

I'm curious how, though. From ME1?

What are you referencing with that? Spoiler tag the answer if necessary.

Was that a question to me?

Nothing. Just FF-XIII battle system. I was thinking of how Harbinger boss fight would be, then it hit me. It's perfect!

Sorry to leave the story hanging like that. No time to waste. Typing up an email to Bioware to suggest this. I want my name on the credits.

Also, FFS, people. It's not a Deus Ex Machina if it's been established at some point before the end. From what I can gather it was set in motion in ME1. I know you guys like using that term though, so carry on...

I don't have an issue with the Deus Ex Machina, although I do think it was a Deus Ex Machina (I actually even said it aloud when I heard it first mentioned in the game! - then continue playing).

I'm curious how, though. From ME1?

Yeah I'm curious on the establishing link back to ME1. The only signs in ME3 of the ending are

The fact the kid is at the start and in your dreams, but not really a foreboding. And on Thessia when it's mentioned one of the Asari feels that there's someone behind the scenes.

I'll agree the Crucible isn't much of a deus ex machina, certainly coincidentally handy, but more of a macguffin than anything else. I think folks here are mentioned the phrase becuase the ending bears a similarity to both the outcomes of Deus Ex(control the Illuminati, merge with the AI, wipe out all electronics) , and the lame "push a button" ending of DXHR

Considering the random-ass shit my shep found all across the galaxy that was incorporated into the design of the crucible, calling it a MacGyver isn't far off.

Hah. I never quite got that.

There's a device, a device you've admitted to at best knowing it's a weapon and maybe prothean designed, but other than that don't know how it works. But your'e going to incorporate experimental FTL drives, fuel cells and materials? I'm amazed it didn't just blow up as they brought it through the Mass Relay.

Considering the random-ass shit my shep found all across the galaxy that was incorporated into the design of the crucible, calling it a MacGyver isn't far off.

Hah. I never quite got that.

There's a device, a device you've admitted to at best knowing it's a weapon and maybe prothean designed, but other than that don't know how it works. But your'e going to incorporate experimental FTL drives, fuel cells and materials? I'm amazed it didn't just blow up as they brought it through the Mass Relay.

lmao! Can you imagine

how hilarious and rage-inducing it would be if everything you found it gave you option of whether to incorporate it into the crucible or not, and certain things, if incorporated, would just make it fail catastrophically when you tried to use it, thus dooming the galaxy?

So happy they removed Wrex's "I'm going to make you an honory Krogan" line. That was cringeworthy in the demo.

Hmm, he still said that for me...at one point.

Well, because I've not finished the game yet, from what I know, I am only guessing that...

Shepard is the Catalyst via the Prothean beacon in ME1. And also the reason why The Illusive Man wanted him alive and not altered in any way. Also, you know, the Protheans were always central to the fight against the Reapers. All this disqualifies any Deus Ex Machina label. McGuffin? Maybe, but it feels too ingrained in everything to be that.

Although, now I don't want to know whether I'm right or wrong. :P

That is what it means though.

ral·ly/ˈralē/

Verb:

(of troops) Come together again in order to continue fighting after a defeat or dispersion.

What he actually calls for is a ceasefire.

In this case, you'd have to look at the context. As in, what Shepard just said. And the fact it's a Paragon choice. It's almost the very opposite of ambiguous.

Edited by Hot Heart

So happy they removed Wrex's "I'm going to make you an honory Krogan" line. That was cringeworthy in the demo.

Hmm, he still said that for me...at one point.

He did for my second playthrough, but not my first. I was excited that he hadn't said it in my first, but then was pissed when he did in my second. I think if you're running through the area too fast it gets cut off by other dialog, that's why he doesn't always say it.

Well, because I've not finished the game yet, from what I know, I am only guessing that...

Shepard is the Catalyst via the Prothean beacon in ME1. And also the reason why The Illusive Man wanted him alive and not altered in any way. Also, you know, the Protheans were always central to the fight against the Reapers. All this disqualifies any Deus Ex Machina label. McGuffin? Maybe, but it feels too ingrained in everything to be that.

Although, now I don't want to know whether I'm right or wrong. :P

We weren't talking about the catalyst being the DEM (or at least I wasn't), we were talking about the prothean device itself, or at least the plans for it.

Also, DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL YOU'VE BEAT THE GAME:

Your explanation for the Catalyst is WAY better than the real one.

That makes him space-jesus, which is as bad as the current space-magic. Generations of folks create a device that can only be activated by one special pre-destined guy. There is of course not a cats chance in hell this guy might accidentally die before he can become the catalyst.

It does somewhat work within the story, but so does it being the Citadel. A device built by the reapers, meaning within each cycle they're not going to destroy it but repair and polish it up. So it's pretty safe until the crucible can be finally built and used. ME1 already showed it can be subverted and sabotaged too.

That is what it means though.

ral·ly/ˈralē/

Verb:

(of troops) Come together again in order to continue fighting after a defeat or dispersion.

What he actually calls for is a ceasefire.

In this case, you'd have to look at the context. As in, what Shepard just said. And the fact it's a Paragon choice. It's almost the very opposite of ambiguous.

The context is in responding to a race that's quite up for killing as many geth as they can at all costs, so it being "rally the troops for one last shot at them" is pretty much what's expected. If it was unambiguous he'd have rallied them instead of getting them to stand down and ceasefire. Being paragon/renegade has never really made the choices unambiguously clear. I think I posted when a renegade option saved someone's life rather than let him die. This then resulted in the death of the Hanaar.

The context is in responding to a race that's quite up for killing as many geth as they can at all costs, so it being "rally the troops for one last shot at them" is pretty much what's expected. If it was unambiguous he'd have rallied them instead of getting them to stand down and ceasefire. Being paragon/renegade has never really made the choices unambiguously clear. I think I posted when a renegade option saved someone's life rather than let him die. This then resulted in the death of the Hanaar.

The conversation is as follows.

Tali: Our fleet is already attacking! Uploading the code would destroy us! Shepard, you can't choose the geth over my people!

Legion: Do you remember the question that caused the creators to attack us, Tali'Zorah? "Does this unit have a soul?"

Then you get a choice between 1. Upload the code. and 2. We're letting the geth die.

If you choose 1. then the conversation goes...

Shepard: Upload the code to the geth. Tali, call off the fleet if you can.

*Legion starts uploading*

Tali: (On comms) This is Admiral Tali'Zorah. All units, break off your attack!

Admiral Gerrel: (On comms) Belay that order! Continue the attack!

*Legion continuing upload*

Tali: I beg you, do not do this. Please.

Legion: We regret the deaths of the creators, but we see no alternative.

Then you get those four options. Paragon = Rally the fleet, Renegade = Warn the fleet and then [Allow the upload] or [stop Legion].

Three of those options are plain as day. Did you think 'rally the fleet' meant Shepard would do an about-turn on the line about calling off the fleet? "Oh, well, I'll encourage the Quarians to fight back a bit harder and then we'll see who's left from both sides afterwards. Surely, they'll help the war effort."

Sorry, if I sound like I'm having a go but it just seems unreasonable in this instance. Sure, it could probably have done with better wording and I can understand if you were annoyed about the gameplay section before but I feel it's coloured your view of that bit.

Edited by Hot Heart

That makes him space-jesus, which is as bad as the current space-magic. Generations of folks create a device that can only be activated by one special pre-destined guy. There is of course not a cats chance in hell this guy might accidentally die before he can become the catalyst.

It does somewhat work within the story, but so does it being the Citadel. A device built by the reapers, meaning within each cycle they're not going to destroy it but repair and polish it up. So it's pretty safe until the crucible can be finally built and used. ME1 already showed it can be subverted and sabotaged too.

Oh no, I think the catalyst being the citdel works fine, what I meant is that space-jesus would be better than hologram kid from out of nowhere. He says he's the catalyst, not the Citadel.

Oh no, I think the catalyst being the citdel works fine, what I meant is that space-jesus would be better than hologram kid from out of nowhere. He says he's the catalyst, not the Citadel.

Space Jesus? Like this guy?

john-turturro-as-jesus-quintana1.jpg

I dunno, polishing a bowling ball doesn't seem like a very good way to stop the Reapers.