The Halo Thread

Chewblaha

Who the fuck downgraded the first post?

What, because you don't like fucking Halo you opened up the goddamn thread just to show your displeasure? Fuck off.

I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in that post about a typical Halo player but no, before you assume, I didn't down vote any of your posts in here.

• Like 1

I'm actually kind of interested in Halo 4. Moreso than 2-Reach, at least. I think the idea of forwarding Master Chief's adventure, but being outwith the limiting original trilogy story arc is appealing.

It'll be interesting to see what they add to the gameplay. I can't imagine that grenade launcher thing in the trailer will be a particularly significant addition.

How can you change the gameplay of Halo and keep it Halo?

Add dual wielding, add melee only weapons, take away health packs, add equipment, take away dual wielding, re-add health packs, add a different type of equipment...

From the looks of it though they're just going for new weapons and keeping Reach's equipment. Kinda boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly. Halo's gameplay never changes, they simply alter the abilities and options on a fairly superficial level. I really wish they'd mix it up a bit, but they won't.

What I really dislike about Halo is how completely non-tactile it is. Movement is so dull and smooth, nothing seems to have any kickback. All it's pacing is weird, you move and jump ridiculously slowly yet stuff happens to enemies really quickly. I don't think any of it adds up to a satisfying experience to play. Actually, Combat Evolved did feel satisfying, the pace seemed really on-the-ball in that one, but I haven't felt that since then.

That's odd, because I've always felt there's something special about Halo's gameplay. It's all subjective, obviously.

I remember trying Section 8: Prejudice because everyone was raving about it, but it just felt so flat and boring whereas I played Reach the same day and realised how much was going on with the jumping and explosions and rolling, right down to the sound design too.

Now I feel like playing on The Truth and Reconciliation on Legendary again... after all these years. That level is just plain fun and tough as hell, especially on co-op. Fought your way onto the ship? Good! Now say hello to the welcoming party. It was rare for me and my brother to clear that part with no problems. I recall one of us having to hide in one of the locked doors to stay safe while the other one slowly killed them all.

Great co-op game. Lots of shouting to be had.

I doubt playing through Live would be the same though...

I just finished watching that wonderful Documentary, it helped clear up some questions I had about Bungie. It's unbelievable how much has been done. I'm not the biggest Halo/Bungie fan out there, I've mostly liked it through a friend, but I always saw how Halo grew, I remember my neighbors playing that big black box and having a great time, how some of their other friends would take a TV, an Xbox and hook them all up. The release of Halo 2 was such a big deal back then, little did I think Halo 3's launch would be bigger than that.

To me things sort of died down after that, I lost interest too specially after all the pre-release criticism that ODST was getting. When I actually got to play Reach though, things got much more interesting, sure I didn't see as many stores as before lined up with crazy customers camping for the game, but the game itself, it was the little details that made it a (excuse me for saying this) living-dying world. I've neglected the Halo universe too much, it's time I jump back in.

/ramble

You know, its kind of sad that I never got into the MP portion of 3, ODST and Reach just because I just can't afford Xbox Live (Or more like, I don't want to spend money for those services).

SP though, I must invest time in since you do feel more of the sweat and tears of the team. Not sure if I want to go through it with Halo 4 though... since its not Bungie anymore.

I sure hope Bungie does something good. Though, with Activision on top of them... meh.

I've been working my way through that documentary and it's been pretty interesting. I would actually quite like to see a third-person more action game-like approach to Halo but, oh, well...

I can't imagine how terrifying that uninstall bug problem must have been. Probably exaggeration, but costing in the region of $1mil? Yikes.

As for Activision being the new publisher, Mal, I believe Bungie have stated they will retain autonomy. I doubt Activision would do much different, or could do worse than MS.

• Like 2

I think that it's likely they'll release a Halo 2 update in fall 2013. They have Halo CE coming out this year, Halo 4 in 2012, so if they released Halo 2 in 2013 that would keep with the schedule of alternating "major" games with "minor" games that they started with ODST.

I don't have anything to back that up, I just think it makes sense.

I think that it's likely they'll release a Halo 2 update in fall 2013. They have Halo CE coming out this year, Halo 4 in 2012, so if they released Halo 2 in 2013 that would keep with the schedule of alternating "major" games with "minor" games that they started with ODST.

I don't have anything to back that up, I just think it makes sense.

Please let this not be a trend. I don't like the minor releases. I am forgiving the Halo CE based on the $40 price point.