The Halo Thread

Chewblaha

Okay, so I just watched it again on my 4k TV (wanted to see what it would look like if I was actually playing it), and I'm a little less sour on it than I was before. I still think everything looks too much like it's made of plasticine, but the gameplay looks more like Halo than 4 & 5, so I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic. I'm still not buying it, but I'm looking forward to playing it on PC gamepass.

Digital Foundry has an analysis of why the graphics look so flat: https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2020-halo-infinite-gameplay-demo-analysis

Boils down to a design decision to use real time dynamic lighting, combined with the type of materials they're using.

There's still other issues, specially with texture pop-in and in some cases, what looks like a complete lack of textures. That screenshot with the rifle, it really looks like it's missing textures, and after watching the gameplay video in 4K, it still doesn't look right, though it does look slightly better, phantoms, some of the rocks, the wheels on the warthog, they all look like they're missing a layer or two. :P Whatever materials and stuff they're using, they need to revise some of it, unless they really want to go for the plastic look. :P 

That article even mentions Metro Exodus, which even on my PS4 (not pro or anything) manages to look really REALLY good. :P 

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/campaign-evolved

They mention Infinite being a spiritual reboot of the series, while also saying it'll go over what happened after Guardians. Honestly, if they're going to jump ship from that storyline, I'd much rather they just reboot the thing and forget Guardians existed rather than trying to cram it in there somewhere, somehow. :P 

Still, knowing that I'll be able to play it with gamepass makes me kinda look forward to it, otherwise I'd be pretty disappointed with what's been shown so far. :P 

I don't think any amount of dynamic lighting can explain away those textures. When they showed those cliffs I thought to myself, no exaggeration, "that looks like upscaled Minecraft." If they wanted to get so ambitious I think they would have been better off just pushing this game to the next gen rather than limiting themselves to the current one.  Doing so means it has to work on the original Xbone hardware which, as we all can remember, was pretty weak. I guess you could argue that allowing more people to be able to play it is the preferable option, but I have to wonder if they're being held back by outdated hardware. That demo was being played on the PC though so honestly, what the fuck.

I agree the textures are low resolution, but that's not what makes it look like plastic, it's the lighting system. Halo 1 had low resolution textures and it didn't look like everything was made of plastic. For me at least the plasticky look is more of a problem than the textures being low resolution.

So 343 says they've "heard the comments" and they have "work to do" on the graphics. But honestly, short of completely overhauling the entire materials system, which seems implausible at this stage, I don't know what they could do to make it look less like Mega Bloks Halo.

That's kinda cool, never bothered too much with MP, but this might change things up a bit. :P

@TheMightyEthan They talk about how the build shown was from weeks ago, I can see them improving some things, but like you said, short of a drastic overhaul, which would probably require delaying the game a fair bit (or ungodly amounts of crunch) I don't see much actually changing by the time it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently MS considered releasing Infinite in "pieces", but ultimately decided they would delay the whole thing so they don't dilute its launch.

This is also an interesting tidbit:

"Let's get out the news out there and deal with it, because people are making their own life decisions on consoles they're going to buy," Spencer said.

Hard to say for sure, but that reads to me like he's saying "Look, we wanted to say this early so that if someone decides without Halo on Series X then they'd rather get a PS5 at launch, we want them to have that option," which is really cool of them. I like Playstation better than Xbox because of the games, but as a company Microsoft is a lot better for consumers right now than Sony is.

3 hours ago, TheMightyEthan said:

I like Playstation better than Xbox because of the games, but as a company Microsoft is a lot better for consumers right now than Sony is.

Yeah, between this, the insane value of Game Pass and basically acknowledging no one likes their shitty Windows store and putting their games on Steam, they're making a lot of the right moves lately. There's zero reasons for me to ever buy an Xbox, especially at this point, but they're almost making me want one lol.

Of course, then my cynical brain turns on and thinks that they're only doing all this because of how hard they faceplanted this gen. If they somehow get back on top next-gen, I don't know that I'd expect to see this trend continue. And with all the studios they've acquired in the last couple years, that would seriously fucking suck.

From a PC gaming point of view, they're in the best position they've been since like the 90s. I really don't want them to backtrack and start doing dumb shit like GFWL again. I put up with the Xbox app because of Game Pass but, I mean, it's still not good...

• 1 year later...

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/start-your-spartan-journey-on-dec-8

December 8 release date, kinda, it'll lack co-op, forge and other stuff. :P

The special edition Series X looks cool, along with the elite controller, assuming the Series X is available outside of scalpers, I might consider picking one up.

How have they not learned their lesson? One of the biggest complaints about Halo 5 was the lack of local coop, so launching Infinite without coop at all is just baffling to me. If they couldn't have coop ready at launch they should have just delayed the game, or released multiplayer this year and delayed the campaign until coop is ready. No coop takes all the thunder out of the launch. Halo is getting together with your friends and blasting through the campaign.

I think releasing it the way they're doing it might be a bigger blow to any hype it might have than delaying it further. Lack of coop in particular might be a serious blow come launch day.

The MP is good but apparently there's a ton of issues with the battle pass and progression systems, they've stated that you'll only be able to get XP for certain challenges, with a daily limit and other stuff, so people aren't happy about the way this will limit customization, specially if it encourages paying to unlock the stuff you actually want.

• Like 1

I think it's going to especially be a blow because most gamers don't follow the games news like us, so there's going to be a lot of people who boot it up on launch day to play with their friends, and that's how they're going to find out there's no coop.

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here it is, the event you've all been waiting for:

TME's Super Official Halo Rankings

I have played through all of the Halo FPSs in the last year to prep for Infinite, so now I can give this official, 100% objective quality ranking list.

Story:

S-Tier: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Halo 4

A-Tier: Halo, Halo 2

B-Tier: N/A

C-Tier: N/A

D-Tier: Halo 5 (probably D- really)

Combat/Enemy Design/Encounter Design:

S-Tier: Halo, Halo 3, Halo: Reach

A-Tier: Halo 2, Halo 5

B-Tier: Halo 3: ODST

C-Tier: Halo 4

Overall:

S-Tier: Halo, Halo 3, Halo: Reach

A-Tier: Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4

B-Tier: N/A

C-Teir: Halo 5

If Halo 4 had had Halo 5's combat/enemy design/encounter design it would have been an S-Tier game, so even though 343's second attempt was worse than their first, I actually do believe Infinite could be great if they took the right lessons from 5. That is, of course, assuming they can un-fuck the place they left the story at the end of 5, which will definitely take some doing. I'm much more hopeful than I was before embarking on this journey though.

Edited by TheMightyEthan
Formatting
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

In spite of myself I'm actually getting pretty fucking stoked for Infinite. It looks pretty rad, so I'm hoping they learned the right lessons from 4 and 5. In a preview one outlet described it as "Silent Cartographer: The Game", which if it lives up to that sounds dope af.