The March of Technology

deanb

I could totally see that working. A lot of webcam security camera software can draw a mask of exactly where it sees motion on a frame. It could just detect a significant change between frames, select that cutout, with a bit of fading on the edges to blend it and replace it with some of the "most average" photos' data.

This stuff was posted 3 years ago, but still seems nearly magical in comparison. Near 6 min in they remove objects from video, but I recommend seeing the whole video because it's just awesome.

• Like 1

Yeah, I could see that phone app working. All it would have to do is constantly record video, saving the last few seconds, and then when you take the picture it uses the recorded frames to figure out what should be behind the things you want to remove.

I do think it's obvious though that that specific video is fake. For one thing the software outlined all the people, but it didn't outline the subject girl of the shot.

• 4 weeks later...

So we're currently facing a solar storm. 0600-1000 GMT

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17295337

Honestly it's the biggest in 5 years and we weren't that concerned 5 years ago. If you are in a region where you can see the Northern lights it'll be spectacular tonight (I think only Johnny should be able to see it best to be fair).

In other news while the 'drug' isn't the exact issue it seems that we can now definitely connect racism with fear.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9129029/Blood-pressure-drug-reduces-in-built-racism.html

They're also finally saying that Gorillas have more genes in common with us than Chimps which honestly makes sense.

There's also been research last year that suggests that short people could be missing a few genes (or they're duplicated) is the reason for them being shorter. In a sense it can explain why in a greater number of cases the later children (particularly in families with 3+kids) turns out to be shorter than the earliest ones (this of course depends on both parents ages, older sperm and egg cells aren't always the best but it's not a constant).

They're also finally saying that Gorillas have more genes in common with us than Chimps which honestly makes sense.

Source?

It was pretty much on google news so here's a few sources

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/08/tech/innovation/gorilla-genome-evolution/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9130191/Humans-and-gorillas-share-genetic-similarities.html

and the original with some references

http://www.nature.com/news/gorilla-joins-the-genome-club-1.10185

Hate to really say it but there are some interesting bits on google's news feed if you just hit their news homepage as opposed to their crap RSS feed. :)

There's also the news of the first picture they have of atoms in a molecule. Some university in Ohio captured that.

Oh okay, it doesn't say that gorillas have more genes in common with us than chimps, it says 15% of our genes are more similar to gorilla genes than they are to chimp genes. They still think we're more closely related to chimpanzees (gorillas split from humans and chimps 10M years ago, humans and chimps split from each other 4M years ago).

My bad, it seems as if they've corrected the article (found yet another article where they criticised the first article I'd read where the author had brought out that similarity). I didn't read the nature one till now to be honest since the newspaper failed to source it (I guess to prove their point perhaps).

So those crazy kids over at MIT have made an LED bulb with 230% efficiency.

AKA they broke the first law of thermodynamics. But not quite that simple. Basically it reaches a point where it just starts sucking up surrounding heat as well. Problem is this cooling/lighting LED only does that at very low power levels. But if they could expand it, certainly interesting applications.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577265321595882542.html#project%3DSLIDESHOW08%26s%3DSB10001424052970204603004577271842684404260%26articleTabs%3Darticle

I could see these becoming more popular as internet get's more widespread and people move about much more/tech savvy folks get older.

Then we end up one day with creepy young Bruce Willis.

surrogates_l.jpg

I usually love Sony, but

We've already seen a lot of software go from something you buy, to something you license usage of, to a service you license as you use it (buy a month, buy 100 plays, buy 100 game coins, etc) - how long before household appliances become something you subscribe to annually?

Yes, market competition should make this kind of thing irrelevant, but I've seen so much unchecked collusion I'm not optimistic - bring this in as a safety feature, or offer rebates for making your outlets "smart and eco friendly" then throw in some value-added thing like TV set social networking and bam - you're subscribing to your TV set itself...

(...or "sorry, we've detected previously that this game console has been modified and in accordance with our user agreement, it will no longer receive electricity.")

Edited by fuchikoma

Sony doesn't forcibly install anything - but they would kick you off their game network if you don't agree to remove features you paid for from your console. You're perfectly free to refuse the offer, but if you want continued service, you comply. To put this in homes, they'd only need to make a wall plug adapter with RFID and maybe Wi-fi, then come up with some novel use that isn't DRM, like usage logging.

I know it sounds ridiculous now, but after seeing the success of things that used to be free becoming DLC, DRM that requires an Internet connection for single-player games, or even full-price disc-based games that only come with a handful of activations, I've learned to be more pessimistic because when it comes to consumer exploitation, anything is possible. At one time I thought people would never pay money for phone ringtones. After that, I thought they'd never pay for phone wallpaper - why would you? They did. I can see a future where devices check with their manufacturer over the Internet before they'll power up - why not - it's the same thing people have been accepting in software for years and that also sounds crazy. There's nothing consumers won't put up with.

Actually, that's a really good idea. And with it identifying the devices you wouldn't necessarily even have to go to the cloud. The plug knows that it's got a curling iron plugged into it, and if that curling iron has been on for more than like an hour then the plug can figure you left it on accidentally and turn it off. Or as houses get smarter overall the house could know you're not home and turn off anything like that you might have left on by mistake.

You go out, your missus thinks she's left her hair curlers switched on, you go to the cloud and disable them. Boom.

You don't want the kids to be able to watch TV past 8pm? Set the power thingy to a timer and at 8pm the TV is off.

Someone reports you to a bill collector, they download a copy of your home management key from an escrow agent - like a utility company (who would have it so they could cut power for non-paying customers without killing ovens and furnaces for instance) - and then non-essential devices are cut off until you resolve the issue with them.

I think it's a great idea for public outlets - though that seems like such a small niche. Maybe electric car charging stations, though that can be done without smart device authentication already. The potential for abuse is sky high though and looking at the last 10 years of tech, it's hard to imagine it wouldn't be abused. Of course it wouldn't happen tomorrow, but in a decade I could see it being a requirement for newer, higher end goods. It's as unthinkable as a game system that doesn't load physical media.

I think it's a great idea for public outlets - though that seems like such a small niche.

There's an awful lot of hotels and airports out there. It's not only a decently sized niche, but hugely profitable one too. I can't see your utility supplier having power over your outlets tbh. Yes cut off all electricity as is now, but having the ability to access your internal systems is a bit...nope.