The March of Technology

deanb

I disagree. It matters very much what the thickness of any thermal insulator is - even thermal paste. It stands to reason that it's still less optimal to have a gap than to have a continuous conductive medium, but it is possible to get it down to a point where the detriments no longer outweigh the benefits, depending on the dissipation of the cooling fin surface. They were saying that one of the main problems they were working against was the insulating effect of stagnant air on fin surfaces - perhaps the dynamic nature of the air bearing effectively prevents the insulating effect that static air between surfaces could lead to - slowly heating up, but not going anywhere or effectively exchanging its heat? So whatever conducts to the air is whisked off, and radiative heat transfer is easily facilitated? I can't say for sure, I'm no engineer.

Apparently it is actually to be built. It just looks SO futuristic, I can hardly believe it.

Sci Fi Sets Sail

That's the new sea lab? Awesome! I wonder what the acceleration will be like in the top floors when massive waves are tossing it about...

At first I thought "hey, that looks like a floating Burj al Arab..." derp. Of course it does - it was designed to look like a sail after all... :bun-dunno:

I disagree. It matters very much what the thickness of any thermal insulator is - even thermal paste. It stands to reason that it's still less optimal to have a gap than to have a continuous conductive medium, but it is possible to get it down to a point where the detriments no longer outweigh the benefits, depending on the dissipation of the cooling fin surface. They were saying that one of the main problems they were working against was the insulating effect of stagnant air on fin surfaces - perhaps the dynamic nature of the air bearing effectively prevents the insulating effect that static air between surfaces could lead to - slowly heating up, but not going anywhere or effectively exchanging its heat? So whatever conducts to the air is whisked off, and radiative heat transfer is easily facilitated? I can't say for sure, I'm no engineer.

I, however, do have an engineering degree (not practicing though). Yes, it matters how thick an insulator is. What I'm saying is that air between the chip and the fan/heat sink in any thickness is too thick to transfer the heat off the chip to the fan/heat sink quickly enough. They may have increased the efficiency with which the sink dissipates heat to the surrounding air but that doesn't do them any good if the chip can't get the heat to sink quickly enough. A fire hose doesn't do you any good if you've only got a kitchen faucet feeding it.

*Edit* - I'd also like to add that my degree is in Mechanical Engineering, and in my studies I focused on thermodynamics and heat transfer systems.

Edited by TheMightyEthan

*Edit* - I'd also like to add that my degree is in Mechanical Engineering, and in my studies I focused on thermodynamics and heat transfer systems.

OT Note:

Funny how most engineers today end up in law, media, finance or investment banking. I'm one of them after all.

That's impressive, but I'm looking at it more from the standpoint of Sandia's credibility. They have some incredible minds working for them, so do you think they're distorting the usefulness of this device? That it will dissipate heat very poorly? That they've overlooked this and maybe not tested it yet? You have me dead to rights on the theoretical capabilities of it, but I'd find it really strange that they'd put out this video if it turned out it doesn't work very well compared to existing active cooling systems.

That is pretty cool. I wonder how packed is that solution to keep something as large as humans alive for long. It'll be insane if we could get something like 15 extra minutes from those injections.

Also I don't think an action video is needed. By the sound of it, they made a lipid membrane that can hold oxygen molecules but readily gives it up to red blood cells. Pretty much it. Magic of chemistry, more specifically... organic chemistry (I'M SCARED MOMMY!).

The Large Hadron Collider seems to have served it purpose: find the Higgs Boson or something really much like it. At the very least, they found something.

Edit: Actually, at 5 sigma... thinking back to Stats... they are REALLY damn certain they found it as predicted.

FYI, Peter Higgs first proposed the boson back in 1964, 48 years ago. He's alive and kicking at the announcement. He must feel like a billion bucks.

Edited by MaliciousH

They're 99.99999% certain they found something that's "Higgs-like". It's going to be many arduous years until they can be certain they found the standard model higgs boson. There's always the fun part where they've found the Higgs Boson, but it doesn't act how it should. Their method of finding the higgs is to look at the aftermath of the collision and work backwards. It's like trying to find a Jaguar by going through shredded car parts.

Some expected them to just be at 3-4 Sigma, so this is certainly something (of course them flying in Peter Higgs to the announcement did kinda give away they had something good).

But yes, all big news all the same. And this was before they ramped the LHC up to full capacity, so results like this make it oh so much more promising. Must suck to be working on Tevatron right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Ships are huge, but you still need the gun to be small enough that it can be turreted so it's aimable. It doesn't do you any good to be able to put a rail gun on a ship if it's fixed in one direction. Unless you want to go back to the "close to point-blank range and broadside" method of ship combat.

Edited by TheMightyEthan

That looks like a battleship, which if that's the case we don't use those anymore. The ships we'd be mounting these guns on are much smaller. More like this:

USS_Arleigh_Burke.jpg

The turret on that is much more comparable to the one in the video (though still larger).

I'm not talking about the upload or production date though. I mean the part where it says "Office of Naval Research Electromagnetic Railgun Program Commissioning Test of BAE built railgun at NSWC Dahlgren February 2012." I take that to mean that for all we know, they could have built it in the 70s (kinda doubtful though...) but the test firing was in Feb. 2012. So seeing that the other "recent" naval railgun test I'd seen was from 2010, I'd still stand by my statement that the railguns are looking much more compact now (assuming it's not an entirely different project... the older one seemed to be going for a kinetic energy output target, though it seemed to fire the same projectiles and I still haven't seen one in that range that small until now.)

• 4 weeks later...

Same reason the Abortion factory thing never hit national news. You have read the side bar of "recent entries" right? Man swallows three controllers, Palin challenges Obama to sandwich eating contest, etc. It's an Onion wannabe site.

The robot itself exists, but it's not a "loving robot", just one built to be able to carry old folks around

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/28/ri-man-the-soft-and-cuddly-robot/