The March of Technology

deanb

Wow, that's a shitty parody, unless their goal is to make it seem like real news (unlike the Onion). That is not nearly over-the-top enough.

Also, that wasn't the site I first read it on, I found it elsewhere and kept clicking through sources to get to the original to post here, so I probably didn't read it as closely as I should have.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just tried to read up on quantum teleportation and whatnot on Wikipedia, and my head asplode. I can't tell if it's a case of the writers not dumbing it down enough, them dumbing it down too much, or just being a topic which it is impossible to dumb down enough.

*Edit* - I think it's that they're dumbing it down too much, because here's what I learned:

1 - Alice and Bob have entangled particles.

2 - Alice measures one aspect of her particle's state.

3 - Alice transmits that information to Bob. (So far so good, I understand it through this point)

4 - Something happens, presumably involving a wizard.

5 - Bob's particle is now identical to the state that Alice measured.

All the articles skip step 4, how Bob takes the information sent by Alice and applies it to his particle, so that's where I get lost.

Edited by TheMightyEthan

But I mean Bob still has to DO something with the data. If I'm Alice and I scream across the room "It's in state 4!" or whatever that's not going to magically transform the particle ("transmit" in this case just means deliver the information in some way). I just want to know what it is Bob does.

The question is how they are transmitting and receiving the data. From what I understand, its not like me just sending a copy of a file to somewhere over the internet. There seems to be a link between the two particles which are connected to each other in some strange way.

The question is how they are transmitting and receiving the data. From what I understand, its not like me just sending a copy of a file to somewhere over the internet. There seems to be a link between the two particles which are connected to each other in some strange way.

Both are happening. Quantum entanglement that fuchikoma linked to (otherwise known as "spooky action at a distance"... truly; gotta love physicists) is one aspect of it, but the other is "classical transmission", which just means me telling you in some way (radio signal, laser beam, screaming across a room, whatever) something about what I measured. You can take that information and apply it to your half of the entangled pair.

But yeah, how you transmit that data really has no impact on the underlying process.

The entanglement means that the two particles affect each other instantaneously no matter how far apart they are, but that is useless unless you know what state the other particle was in, which is where the classical transmission comes in (and why it doesn't violate relativistic causality, which requires that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light). Basically even though the effect occurs instantaneously you can't measure it until you've received the classically transmitted information, so no information has been transmitted until you receive that.

• 2 weeks later...

And stores how much n costs how much? Is it aimed at commercial, consumer or even archivist sector? I understand the properties of quartz but that article has bot all on how it works as a storage medium and not even a brief reference to Superman.

edit: The source article points out yeah it's primarily for archiving. Which means price would be high but I'd still be uncertain on capacity. Tape is pretty high capacity (And getting cheap still)

I think it's cool... but another holographic storage tech we'll never see in stores. In the 90s I read about holographic discs that were 3-5 years off, and later, fluorescent holographic media... and now it's 10-15 years later and it's just never gonna happen (though to be fair, some of them were boasting capacities less than Blu-ray discs, so...)

Ah well, the Church of Scientology will love it, I'm sure. Don't they allegedly have glass-coated platinum tablets or something?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19869673

Amazed no one posted this. Anywho, one of the 2012 Nobel Prizes was a joint award for two teams of scientists who have managed to use regular cells to create stem cells then from there to create clones of frogs n mice. Being able to turn regular cells into Stem Cells is considered a reproductive sciences holy grail. Also opens all kinds of avenues of medicine if you can make stem cells from adult cells.