Battlefield thread...

excaliburps

35 members have voted

1. 1. What System are you buying BF3 for?

• PC
    • PS3
    • Xbox
    • Unsure
    • Not Buying

You're right. You probably know better. EA were behind all the marketing you hated. EA DICE did all the marketing you liked.

I think you're taking my comment the wrong way, I'm genuinely curious. From my side, it does seem like EA are the ones pushing the head-tohead marketing but of course, you're an EA employee so you may know better so I was hoping you could expand on your claim more. It's easy for you to say that it isn't EA as we have no way to refute you as you're privy to info we're not but it would be just as easy for me to imagine you're just redirecting the blame away from your employer. I'm not suggesting that's what you're doing here, I'm merely looking for more than an unsubstantiated claim because as far as I'm aware, DICE never said they wanted Call of Duty to "rot from the core" or that they were "going dead at them”.

In that case, I apologise for my unwarranted snarkiness.

It's been widely publicised that EA operates a "City State" methodology with reagard to its studios: http://www.develop-online.net/news/37438/Gibeau-City-state-studios-saved-EA. Some studios tend to toe the EA line more. Bright Light and Visceral being good examples. Others, DICE and Criterion in particular are far more independent (sometimes they're a law unto themselves).

Each studio has an in-house marketing team who, shall we say "set the tone" for marketing campaigns. That is to say that local marketing teams are able to do their own thing (with approval from the studio) but they won't send out conflicting messages. If they are told "This campaign is about destruction" that's what they run with.

The marketing bigwigs in EA DICE decided on the, "aggressive" tone of this campaign. Despite the reservations of the boots on the ground marketing guys, Legal and some other camps.

A lot of people within EA and DICE felt that we would have been better off with a bit more self assured swagger and a bit less little-brother syndrome. I think the nature of the marketing has slowly shifted over time to be more focussed on "This is BF3 look at how great it is." rather than "This is BF3, look at how much better than MW3 it is." I still wince whenever I see an "Answer the Call" or "Go Beyond the Call" tagline. It feels insulting to our customers' intelligence.

You'll have to excuse me for being a little vague, but, you know, confidentiality and all that...

• Like 1

In that case, I apologise for my unwarranted snarkiness.

It's been widely publicised that EA operates a "City State" methodology with reagard to its studios: http://www.develop-o...tudios-saved-EA. Some studios tend to toe the EA line more. Bright Light and Visceral being good examples. Others, DICE and Criterion in particular are far more independent (sometimes they're a law unto themselves).

Each studio has an in-house marketing team who, shall we say "set the tone" for marketing campaigns. That is to say that local marketing teams are able to do their own thing (with approval from the studio) but they won't send out conflicting messages. If they are told "This campaign is about destruction" that's what they run with.

The marketing bigwigs in EA DICE decided on the, "aggressive" tone of this campaign. Despite the reservations of the boots on the ground marketing guys, Legal and some other camps.

A lot of people within EA and DICE felt that we would have been better off with a bit more self assured swagger and a bit less little-brother syndrome. I think the nature of the marketing has slowly shifted over time to be more focussed on "This is BF3 look at how great it is." rather than "This is BF3, look at how much better than MW3 it is." I still wince whenever I see an "Answer the Call" or "Go Beyond the Call" tagline. It feels insulting to our customers' intelligence.

You'll have to excuse me for being a little vague, but, you know, confidentiality and all that...

Thanks for expanding. No need to worry about vagueness, you explained the situation well enough. Now that you mention it, I realise that the marketing has shifted away from promoting the head-to-head competition. Competition is good but trying to force a choice on the consumer through marketing is cheap and risky. I'm glad EA had the sense to change up their marketing strategy.

It feels insulting to our customers' intelligence.

Just look at the comments to that last trailer on youtube. What intelligence? They are a bunch of rabbid animals.

If we used comments to determine an entire group's level of intelligence, we as gamers would be seen as cro-magnon apes.

If we used comments to determine an entire group's level of intelligence, we as gamers would be seen as cro-magnon apes.

The thing is that 85% of people are morons. The same applies to gamers whether you like it or not.

The thing is that's a bullshit stat. I'm not denying that there are plenty of morons in this world but to generalise entire groups of people as morons seems a tad moronic in itself.

• Like 1

The thing is that 85% of people are morons. The same applies to gamers whether you like it or not.

The thing is that's a bullshit stat. I'm not denying that there are plenty of morons in this world but to generalise entire groups of people as morons seems a tad moronic in itself.

Irony?

• Like 1

Aw yeah, give me another minus, baby.

I guess you have nothing to say. Again.

:s

I do have something to say - Grow the fuck up.

Back on topic: The commorose will be in the Day 1 patch, which would indicate a good start as far as PC support goes. Apparently the day 1 patch is already included in the preloads but I can't find any patch notes so it's unclear what else has been changed/fixed. Who's actually planning on getting this Day 1? It'd be nice to get together for a few games and dominate as a team.

• Like 2

Back on topic: The commorose will be in the Day 1 patch, which would indicate a good start as far as PC support goes. Apparently the day 1 patch is already included in the preloads but I can't find any patch notes so it's unclear what else has been changed/fixed. Who's actually planning on getting this Day 1? It'd be nice to get together for a few games and dominate as a team.

Take everything zh1nt0 says with a grain of salt. It seems like that guy is more wrong than right most of the time.

I sure hope he's right, though. Commorose sounds essential if there's no full team voice chat (ala TF2) and in-squad is only through Battlelog. I fear the days of full voice communication in Battlefield games are history. Also, what's the deal with a day one patch like that? If they already know what's going to be in it and are already coding it (Commorose, etc.), why not just launch it with the full game? I've heard nothing about BF3 going gold yet...

Not planning on getting this day one unless it suddenly appears on steam (doubt that), but it's something I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on for later if it goes down in price.

Well, here we are. Battlefield 3 releases in just three days time. If we factor in time zones and midnight launches we're 48 hours away now. And... there are no reviews. If this was a movie this would be a bad sign. Is this a bad sign? How long do review embargoes normally last? I know the first review for Zelda Skyaward Sword is going up on the 25th, a full 25 days before release (and I hate the reviewer who's already played it. So much.) But that's for a magazine, and they need to get reviews in early for publication dates and blah blah blah.

So what's normal? Is this a bad omen?

Some people already have it. 1942 had an intro. BF2 had an intro. BF3 (from what I have seen from startup and beginning campaign videos on YouTube) doesn't have an intro.

And here I was looking forward to awesome music and with a kickass trailer to boot. :(

I'd consider that a bad omen. It just goes through the standard publisher/developer/third party studios routine and then cuts straight to main menu. And then you just start the campaign from there.

EDIT: The campaign does look really nice, though.

Edited by Pirandello

Well, scratch what I said above. I broke down and bought it with my most recent paycheck, kind of on an impulse. Bought the physical edition from amazon, and with Prime shipping I get it on tuesday (25th, or release day).

So yeah, Dex, if you want to play, I'm definitely interested in running through some of the Karkand maps or playing a bit of coop.

Well, scratch what I said above. I broke down and bought it with my most recent paycheck, kind of on an impulse. Bought the physical edition from amazon, and with Prime shipping I get it on tuesday (25th, or release day).

So yeah, Dex, if you want to play, I'm definitely interested in running through some of the Karkand maps or playing a bit of coop.

Cool! It'll be Friday when I get my hands on it but I'll likely be playing it all day so just hit me up if you're looking for a few games.

...I might actually buy it at a later date. I'm actually interested in the SP, and I do like the idea of co-op. I hope co-op has class implements in it. However, that's if battlelog actually works.

I haven't read much about the co-op or singleplayer as I'm in blackout mode but I hope they're good. I still haven't finished BC2's campaign however and doubt I ever will so my optimism isn't very high.

Cool! It'll be Friday when I get my hands on it but I'll likely be playing it all day so just hit me up if you're looking for a few games.

Sweet. I sent you a friend request on steam (ironic), so I'll probably message you there when I get everything sorted on friday probably.

I usually work or be social on friday, but I'm often back by about 5 PST (think that's fairly late at night for you), but I'd definitely be down for games this weekend anytime.

And yeah, Harri, the only reason I preordered vs. waiting for release and snatching it up was for the Karkand maps. I do like me some BF2, even if the pack was going to come out later anyway.

I probably won't have Steam running if I'm playing BF3 but if I'm not on Origin, just posting a status update here will probably be the surest way I'll see you're up for a game.

The reviews are starting to roll in now. Seems generally favourable. I have to laugh at the people over on the official forums though. They're raging at IGN for giving it 9.0, calling them CoD fanboys when they gave Black Ops an 8.5. Metacritic

Edited by MasterDex