Dead Island

Cyber Rat

I've been keeping clear of the "hard" missions until I reach a decent level. No idea if this is like Borderlands and once you reach a certain level it'll change to medium or easy difficulty, but there's more than enough to explore in this area.

My only complaint so far is that I haven't seen any healing items you can carry with you and press a button to use. Maybe the PC does have some, but I've been relying on the little health drinks you find scattered around for the 360 version.

I'm also starting to see the downside of melee weapons. I can't wait until I can do decent damage by throwing weapons, since apparently some zombies are fast as fuck and others carry around weapons.

I have too been scared shitless a couple of times already. Not because the game is pop-up scary. It's because of two reasons. I'll put spoiler tags just in case somebody doesn't want to get spoiled on certain gameplay aspects, but I assure you there's no story spoilers down here.:

1. You're walking around then you hear a zombie scream. I wish it were a moan, but no it's a freaking i'mma-stab-you scream and then you hear the snarling as they run and you have no idea where they're coming from until you're attacked from the back and scream like a little girl.

2. You see a dead body laying down or sitting down, aka not moving as you approach a certain radius away from it which any other zombie would react so you feel comfortable. Hell, not even the reticule says it's an enemy. Then when you get comfortable the zombie stands up and attacks you. God damn I screamed.

So now I follow a rule of thumb if the body isn't completely pink/obliterated, it's a zombie or a human. If it's laying down, hit it. You might as well..

I've been having zombie related dreams. Not nightmares as I'm hardly scared by a dream where four warriors slash and blow up zombie science experiments. I don't have Dead Island, but my mind seems to be telling me to slash some zombies up.

I might save up for this game as well. I wish I could co-op, but like with Borderlands, I'm probably gonna be without friends (even when they say they'll join). Really wish there was local since I can actually get along with my new roommates.

Just so everyone playing knows, kick bodies. Kicking is widely regarded on the Steam forums as incredibly overpowered, and I plan to abuse it. Which I do. No need to deteriorate your weapon durability when you can just kick them to be sure, right?

Also Jesus, that healing item you'd be looking for would be a medical kit. You can purchase them from merchants at safe zones, but they are incredibly expensive. I'd just suggest looking around for energy drinks to top off your health (which makes inland a huge problem, since there are very little energy drinks to come by, as opposed to the shore).

Eh, I got it on PC and it's working fine for me. I recently got a hold of several firearms and I am actually quite surprised. They work very smoothly and the animations are up to par. Don't expect to be killing a lot with them though, They actually do less damage than melee weapons and are, personally, only good against suiciders.

Best zombie game I've ever played. I used to talk about how awesome the Dead Rising series is, but after playing this one, I've realized how wrong I was. It's also made me swear off Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, because from what I've seen of it, it won't be as great as this.

Watching the GB quicklook they apparently loved the analog control scheme, and I could definitely see how a "LMB melees" could break some of the immersion and difficulty.

So, those that have it on PC, is there any sort of analog control, i.e. swinging the stick forward to melee? For me, that might actually be reason enough to buy on console. It could be a completely different game.

Edited by Sporkwaffles

I think it's because of the fiasco with the PC version [more specifically the Steam version] tells you to do things as if you were on a console.

On another note, my current semester is eating up my free time. Not so much the hw as the clubs. Good thing that after this week meetings will be every 2 weeks.

Watching the GB quicklook they apparently loved the analog control scheme, and I could definitely see how a "LMB melees" could break some of the immersion and difficulty?

So, those that have it on PC, is there any sort of analog control, i.e. swinging the stick forward to melee? For me, that might actually be reason enough to buy on console. It could be a completely different game.

Surely there should be a gamepad option. It would seem pretty standard these days.

So, I decided to pick it up and try it out today.

Don't know where all the hubbub about it being bad is coming from. Looks great, plays great, not much in the way of problems; hell, it even alt-tabs and exits cleanly. It's also a blast to play with friends.

Only gripe is the tooltip pictures for actions like smashing doors in having the console version (right thumbstick) instead of the PC. But that's minor; it's just a tooltip picture, it's not as if the action itself was beyond broken for the PC version.

I don't like being limited to 12 items in my inventory. Do you know if there's an upgrade in the tech tree that expands that number? Or do I have to keep giving it to that one lady?

I don't know. I kinda played the "demo" for a while n got bored with it rather quickly so I won't be able to help you much.

In the defense of the small inventory space, it's not as if you're going to be using each and every one of them in every situation. There's a breaking point where eventually the extra stuff you bring along becomes luggage instead of weaponry.

Anyways, the only complaint I have with things so far now... is that the guns seem to be severely underpowered. I understand that it's a rare resource and the game is focused on melee combat, but these things should be able to flatten any normal infected with no problem whatsoever; ammunition at the point where I am is still so scarce that guns should still be used mostly for extreme purposes, so it does keep the balance between weapon types. As it is, the only way to get them to insta-kill is to pull off a critical headshot.

Hmmm. My only problem with the game right now is how quickly weapons deteriorate and how expensive it gets to fix weapons. There's a skill to lower the speed these weapons take damage.

My other complaint is that I wish there was an area attack of sorts. Maybe there is one in the combat skill tree, but so far I've been in situations where I get suyrrounded and can't do shit.

Also the thug zombies are WAY too overpowered. I'm fine with them being resistant to attacks, but just the fact that their punches are pretty speedy and that they have a really small break between them, it makes it extremely hard to hurt them. Unless they're groaning.