Weird & Wonderful Web

deanb

I gave making the hack microscope a shot. The price of this really depends on a few things. First off is do you have the tools and accessories? If not then include that in the price. Second is if Home Depot and the like will cut plexiglass or the wood to the sizes you need. If they don't then well... you'll have to include those tools into the price. For the laser, I suggest going to a dollar store since chances are they'll have the $1 ones. I think the 2in1 lasers w/ flashlight might have a smaller lens so be aware of that. A larger lens will be easier to work with since your viewing area will be larger.

You can use a .7" or so thick wood of any type, just be aware that you'll have less wood to work with. The smallest plexiglass you might get can be 8"x10" so there is no reason to cut the plexiglass down to 7"x10" then get it into two pieces (7"x7" and  7"x3"). Just do 8" instead of 7". Its just far easier to cut wood than plexiglass.

As for assembly... it was straight forward for even a novice like myself. I really got to learn to look straight down onto what I am drilling into so it can be perfectly aligned. Thankfully you can mirror the wood base if you screw up once. For the spade bit part, be sure to time yourself so your bolts can be even. I made mines a but uneven and that is a slight inconvenience. Anyways...

Results:

http://imgur.com/a/SOBVS#0

It has a quarter, hair, skin and the little bugs I've shown before for comparison.

Overall: Nice little project that you can hammer together in about an hour max. The lens is really the only hard part. I think the one with the "Gr" is the best one. Even with a 10x mag hand lens, you can hardly see the black dots. If you know the size of the dot then you can figure out just how times it got magnified.

Edited by MaliciousH

So I remember someone got this as a present. (at least the British version, it's the same company). I want to say HH...?

I'm pretty much sure whoever it was this is an accurate recreation of the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_BZsIY6PUPU