Weird & Wonderful Web

deanb

He goes to animal shelters to secret masturbate the animals. That's the extent of the joke.

I got that bit I just thought there was more to it, like it was alluding to something in the news or game related. Guess I was over thinking it.

GIF being the format of choice is mainly due to:

1. It works/it's simple

2. Usually it's pretty fast (compared to video)*

3. APNG is Mozilla's non-standard baby

4. No one can agree on a video format for web use.

*And if compressed properly, which is the same with most things on the web.

GIF being the format of choice is mainly due to:

1. It works/it's simple

2. Usually it's pretty fast (compared to video)*

3. APNG is Mozilla's non-standard baby

4. No one can agree on a video format for web use.

*And if compressed properly, which is the same with most things on the web.

1. It "works" in limited usage though. I would argue that something like the gif in question lacks features like pausing and is terrible in quality.

2. Gfycat, which uses HTML5 + some tiny video format instead of flash, is faster than gifs.

3. No one uses apng as much of an improvement it is

4. Which is why we need to push something forward

It's a 27 year old file format that's from a time where text websites were still pretty much king and broadband speeds were things Universities had. Things like Imgur and Tumblr were barely a twinkle in folks eye at the time. It's a pretty solid given it's age and limitations.

5658551241_8852d44b38_o_thumb.gif

Gfycat uses HTML5 and six video formats to cover all current unagreed upon HTML5 video formats. They're relatively new and given the aggressive use of bots throughout Reddit obviously aiming for some kind of minor explosion in use and VC funding/buyout or what not. I can't imagine converting to 6 video formats and hosting unlimited size gifs is going to be a wholly viable long term business model. Also they compress the gifs, which is generally the main issue with gifs loading slow.

No one uses APNG because it's Mozilla's baby that the PNG board rejected. It would be a good high quality alternative to gif but as it's a non-standard that Mozilla control/don't control it would be useless for other browsers to implement. And since it's only viewable in one browser, no one creates APNGs when GIFs work everywhere.

WebM will likely be the overall winner, but W3C are fucking slow ass movers and there's a shit ton of politics surrounding HTML5 video.