Weird & Wonderful Web

deanb

• 2 weeks later...

Google own a fair part of network infrastructure (they are one of the most visited sites on the web. They went down for a few minutes almost exactly 2 years to the day and took out 40% of the internet). This isn't exactly gonna list "Joe Bloggs, 34, Privet Drive, Wisconsin" or whatever, it'll be the main data hubs. Most of what shows up is the ISPs and the ISP's ISPs.

You computer - Router - Your ISP - Other servers - Their ISP - their server - Our website.

I'm not a network engineer so in the old adage of "if you can't explain it simple enough you don't understand it well enough" I'll suggest having a google about and learning bits n bobs if you're interested. The internet is rather interesting structure. Not quite a series of tubes.

Oh it's worth noting while it says "attacker" the way this is set up not everything will be purposefully done, these are all honeypots being attacked so many will be automated scripts looking for a way in an unsecured network. Also while it's split up by countries in many cases it's industrial espionage* or gaining access to private computers** rather than World War Web or whatever.

Personally I like it cos it looks kinda pretty and it's an interesting example of tools modern web offers us.

* Note a lot of internal American traffic.

** e.g UAE gets hit a lot cos they have a lot of people with a lot of money. Get something on their PC and kerching.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice watch. 3D drawing is interesting. Of course there won't be a rotational aspect to it but wow. Sure the same effect can be done with multiple layers but to see it in such an organic manner is quite neat.

Sometimes I wonder what I would be if I stuck with animation. His words at around 1:50 is rings true with my first doodle in months just a few days ago. I was running on two hours of sleep, working on figures for a poster (I'm still am) when suddenly I just drew two circles. Those became the blank eyes of my tired self then followed by multiple rough lines to outline my face, ears and body. Add some clothes and finish off with two spontaneous dot pupils. Those five minutes just doing that rough doodle was quite the highlight of my week oddly. It wasn't refine at all but somehow I really like it so I have since saved it by cutting it out and taping it to my monitor. I think in the coming year, doodles will be a thing in my life again.

• Like 1

It's entirely a touristy thing - they created the name when they built the train station to encourage people to travel that far along the line. It's ordinary name is Llanfairpwllgwyngyll which admittedly is still rather a mouthful, but no worse than a lot of other welsh names.

• 2 weeks later...