Weird & Wonderful Web

deanb

I've been watching these videos lately. Quite interesting and relaxing. Completely useless knowledge to know in my day to day, but I guess everything goes to shit one day it'll be useful. Think it's good knowledge to pass down the generations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA

(You can tell it takes a while for these videos to be made cos lichen has started growing along the bottom near the end of the video in this one)

Since I can't entirely tell if joking:

Within the UK I believe for non-permanent structures planning permission isn't required. Though I know one episode of Grand Designs the guy built a hay & clay house out in the forest for his charcoal making job that was like £20K or something n had some requirements on it being destroyed on his death, couldn't sell it on etc.

In this case he's in Australia and I suspect there's similar rulings there, especially given the large amount of non-populated land and the fact a chunk of the populating still constructs these kinds of things (he does reference aborigines a few times). His initial hut will last only 2 years (though that's presented as a "it'll last up to two years which is kinda neat given the construction materials" sort of way). The clay constructions likely last a lot longer.

edit: Oh n having watched them all I quite like how he shows his failures, he doesn't edit out all those fucked up sling attempts so it looks like he's really good with his freshly made sling. It's not a sort of "here's one I made earlier", he shows most of the steps. The lack of dialogue is quite soothing to it I guess as well, though makes it functionally less useful as an educational tool I guess but eh, can work out most of what's going on from what's shown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you guys are following this channel but dude just smelted some ore. He just blew my mind with his simple but effective fan blower. So yes, he is able to actually progress to iron tools. It'll take a while though since there is just so much prep involved (namely the massive amount of charcoal needed).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...