Anime Discussions

King Jimmeh

With this getting animated, the community is once again going over and over a certain character and their involvement in this stuff, and I can't help but feel I'm among the few that don't really feel the same way.

Spoiler

Can't feel sad for the doctor given that:

• He's responsible for EVERYTHING, indirectly so, but he created the 72 demons and Goetia, and then one day just went "alright, ya'll figure this shit out, I'm out! Peace!"
  • After being summoned he did try to help but then willingly worked with mages (if you know mages in the Fate series you know how bad this is)
  • He participated in the experiments that resulted in the birth of Mash, and then participated in the experiments performed on her
  • Who knows how many homunculus failed before Mash, and he was part of each of them
  • Given that he has clairvoyance (powerful enough to be THE Grand Caster) you'd think he could've seen what would happen.

Anyway, with Camelot getting a movie, Babylonia getting and anime and now this, I kinda hope we get something for the Epic of Remnant stuff.

Spoiler

I need JAlter dancing animated ASAP! :P 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TheMightyEthan said:

You can thank me, I randomly thought of Inuyasha out of the blue the other day, so clearly that is why they're making a sequel.

Could you now think about Monster Musume? That might get us a second season then. :P 

I don't remember much about Inuyasha, but I do remember enjoying it.

Spoiler

Who did he end up with anyway? Kagome(?) or that priestess/demon lady? Or someone else? It's been years! :P 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, MetalCaveman said:

Didn't the manga end unresolved with a "ran out of ideas, sorry lol"  note from the author? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Kinda, I think the original ending was

"Hey so... we're in the middle of this huge fight and all but uh... Everyone take a break!" And then one of the characters has this weird dream about the villain turning into a princess or something.

There was a re-release with an actual "ending" which was still not an ending, but it was better, then there was a sequel which sorta made no sense, and some spinoffs.

The original anime didn't really follow the manga that well, except for the ending which did follow the "let's just stop for a bit" thing.

Still, it was one of my favourite series and one that I used to stay up to watch when there was a marathon late at night, so I'm super excited about this new one, maybe the'll use this chance to give it a proper ending. :P 

Ah okay, I didn't know about all that other stuff. Looking at dates on wikipedia, I guess it all happened years after I watched the original anime. I thought it seemed like a weird candidate for a remake since I remember being pretty annoyed by the non-ending and then looking into the manga only to find out it was also basically unfinished lol. Hopefully this one turns out better.

Recently watched Parasyte on Netflix.

Was an okay show, and in a vein of my favourite animes actually a one and done story.

Gist is parasites of unknown origin (suggested they are earth born, like literally created by earth, and not extra terrestrial) infect human hosts, main dudes however infects his right arm rather than brain leaving them both autonomous leading to whacky hijinks. It's a show that's not shy on killing off characters too. If you're looking for a show that's half-decent and finishes in just 24 episodes then here's a show for you. I'd say my only issue is the timeline isn't very clear except that one character gets pregnant. It might be over the span of a year maybe?

Now watching B: The Beginning. Which so far looks slick but I'm only 4 episodes in so no opinion formed so far. Interesting it shows you who "Killer B" is almost right way (especially considering they transform so the show could have kept it elusive)

Did start on Beastars but it barely held me halfway through an episode.

On 6/13/2020 at 12:22 AM, deanb said:

Now watching B: The Beginning. Which so far looks slick but I'm only 4 episodes in so no opinion formed so far. Interesting it shows you who "Killer B" is almost right way (especially considering they transform so the show could have kept it elusive)

Finished this. Still of opinion it "looks slick" but otherwise was really really confusing to follow. Almost feels like there's multiple separate plots that only "converge" because the plot said "and these two people were friends". It doesn't really explain why anyone is doing what they do, what their proper connections are, why people trust people how they do, etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally getting around to watching Neon Genesis Evanglelion. I for sure got some stuff spoiled years ago but hey, let's see how this will go. First episode is going as I expect. Spoilers and all. I'm ready for bleakness! If I can deal with Saikano (spoiler: I can't deal with Saikano), I can deal with EVA.

Edit: Wow, Asuka takes a while to come in (haven't seen her yet on episode 5). While Rei was kind of off to the side.

Edited by Mal

Finally watched Promare yesterday.

It has your typical Trigger tropes in it, but.... I mean, that's just part of the charm! Also, I would have watched this sooner if anyone had told me Kari Wahlgren and Steve Blum voiced characters in the dub!

Only complaint is that it does feel like it runs long with all the twists and turns.

Edited by CorgiShinobi

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out BNA on Netflix. It's inevitably going to get compared to Beastars and maybe even Zootopia because it has similarities to both, but it really isn't that much like them. I like the former two works because they sprinkle in lots of interesting details like how each animal species has special needs and how their unique animal instincts and abilities factor into their daily living, but that's not as much of a factor here outside of Shirou's amazing sense of smell and a few remarks by other characters. Since there are actually humans in this universe it's more about how the beastmen are living a precarious existence within their city, knowing that the human government in mainland Japan can easily have them all rounded up and the city shut down if they step out of line. Even so, like pretty much every Trigger anime it's style over substance, but Trigger's style is so entertaining to watch that it's forgivable. Michiru is also a fun and likable character, although she takes a few episodes to come around. If anything I wish this show had 24 episodes rather than 12 so we could have had more time really explore this city and its nuances, but for what it is it's still a decent watch.

The breakneck speed, especially after the recap episode, that the series progressed actually surprised me. It's almost a mistake to marathon Eva. Before the recap, it was on a monster-of-the-week format. This half you can marathon. After episode 20 it really starts to be a bad idea.

Anyhow, I finished the original movies. Huh. I think overall both endings kind of says the same thing. Still I need to mull this over before I hit up the Rebuild movies.

One stray thought though... Is it weird to say that while I know it's pose to be depressing but this series kind of made me reflect upon myself in a good way?

• 3 weeks later...

Finished watching the Kandagawa Jet Girls anime, life and hometown* for days! :P 

Still, it's a fun series to watch, YMMV and all, but I liked it a fair bit, the CG during the races looks better than expected, and the relationship between Misa and Rin is adorable. More importantly, it's just a happy series, there's no evil force behind the scenes, no shady characters pulling the strings, none of that, it's just happy, which is just what I needed. :P \m/ \m/ There's some light sports drama, but nothing too heavy. :P 

*In case you didn't know, that's how the producer/creator of Senran Kagura and Kandagawa Jet Girls, refers to T&A. :P 

• 3 weeks later...

Just wrapped up Tokyo Ghoul on Netflix. It's a bit naf at the end. It suddenly throws conspiracies in, ghouls are able to blast lasers and grow angel wings(as is anime tradition), and at the end despite each side killing/eating the other for several decades they all decide at the end to be happily ever after because Ken Kaneki is just a swell guy (who has murdered thousands voluntarily and involuntarily).

Which is a shame because the start with the "doves" as compelling villains (who are half-killed off quite quickly), and the "one eyed owl" as a sort of half-ghoul villain that mirrored the protagonist. 

Kinda feels like it missed a vast amount out, like it jumps from bit to bit quick quickly. I presume the manga its based on is either several distinct-ish volumes, or it was just terribly adapted for efficiency (my only "read both the manga and watched the anime" is Akira, and the film carves out like 70% of the middle of the anime and still holds together quite well).